Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 17:36

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Unhappy Switching from Atkins to CAD. Help needed, no book available.

I've been on Atkins for the last 18 months and have lost 44lbs. Great but most of it was in the first six months. I've been stuck for ages and now I'm ready to try something different.

CAD appeals because of the reward meal but also because I've read some postings in which some people said switching restarted their weight loss.

I live in a very under developed country and I cannot buy the book. I also cannot order it mail order as cutoms will seize it.

What are the essentials so I won't do anything wrong? How many carbs can I have with the low carb meals i.e. is some salad ok? Are there any no no foods? Can I put sweetners in tea etc or is this forbidden.

Have any of you switched from Atkins successfully? What happened?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 17:40

P.S. I just did the on line test and scored 9!!! Severe addict.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 18:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

If you give me your email, I will send you the cheat sheet. You can PM me with it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 09:49

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Hi Zuleikaa!

First I'd like to ask you if you would please send me the now famous cheat-sheet too! I'm sure it'll be a great help. My e.mail is tomatis.s~lamier.it

I also wanted to say that basically I'm a forum lurker and I saw you got a bit of a bashing on another thread, and I wanted to say thank you for all the time and dedication you put into the forum because it's also thanks to you that the CAD forum is so lively. You're always one of the first to answer questions and give your support, and whether your opinions are right or wrong, you do your best for everyone and are really caring. Thanks for being there!!! You've been a great help to me (even if you don't know it), for the first time in my whole life I've been able to stick to a diet for over 2 weeks without cheating once and that's also because every time my brain tells me it's not going to work so I may as well eat I come and read some of your brisky posts and I start to believe again!! And it's working. Slowly but it's working.

Thanks again
Hugs
Choc
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 18:09
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Chocolate
Thanks for your support. It means a lot to me. I'm glad you feel that I help.
The cheat sheet is on its way.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 20:30
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Robert
I forgot to add that many people experience a 2-3 pounds gain on switching from Atkins to CAD. Don't worry, it will come off in 2-4 days.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 03:40

Oh right! I'm glad you told me that cos that's what's happening.

Thanks,
Robert
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 11:56

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

Hey Robert,

Welcome aboard... I also switched from Atkins almost 2 weeks ago to the CALP plan. I am losing slowly, but have lost just over 2 lbs. The first week I bobbled up and down a lot before my body started adjusting better to it. Hang in there. It's much easier than doing Atkins as far as I'm concerned.

Zuleika has a lot of good advice and helps a lot of people with her knowledge. She's come a long way. It's nice having those who have been doing this for a long while and know the program so well.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/ultra low carb
Stats: 265/202/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 66%

I read your post on the "Cheat sheet". I am on Atkins and in the process of switching to CAD. I have alot of the information but would love a copy of your cheat sheet. Thanks!

Jacque
jacqdun~msn.com
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 16:49
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%

I would love to see this cheat sheet as well please.

cabotdog~hotmail.com

thanks so much
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 19:09

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I would love a copy of the cheat sheet also!

Much appreciated!

Last edited by Nems : Sat, Dec-14-02 at 12:14.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 12:16

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thanks Zuleika for the cheat sheet! I'll print it out and keep it in the kitchen. It seems I am always flipping through the book to find the lists.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 16:59
Registered Member

Default Worried about the switch to CAD

Thanks for the cheat sheet Zuleika...it is much appreciated.

Maybe you can help me out with a couple of other questions as I possibly switch.

I am concerned about a couple of things. Firstly, I have done so well in losing weight over the last five months, I don't want to gain any of it back. I have gone without and exercised great will power. I don't want to make those months a waste of time.

I have started adding more carbs (mostly sugars) at dinnertime, after my salad and protein of course. I'm wondering if this re-introduction of sugar wil cause my triglycerides to go up?

It all seems too good to be true. I can still eat high carb foods, once a day and continue to lose weight? With no ill effects? I just had a garden salad with a burger and kept the bottom half of the bun. Then I had a couple of chocolates and a handfull of cheesies. I feel sooooo quilty now, I want to barf (literally).

Please help me out on this one...anyone who has made the switch to CAD. Also, can I do CAD a couple days a week, and remain "standard low carb" for the other days? Does it make a difference?

I have never had a major problem with my weight. In fact I was a skinny kid. I just put on 50 pounds in university, and never loss them (until now).

I know, I know, I should buy the book and read it....I will. I just would like some basic facts.

Sorry for my longwindedness. I'm just wondering if I made the right decision to increase my carb intake, or if my lack of will power has finally got the better of me.

shutt
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Hi Shutt,
This is just my humble inexpert opinions ok?

CAD is for carbohydrate addicts. So you have to know yourself and if you fall into this category. In some ways I think Atkins and CAD are similar, the goal is to keep insulin levels low. With Atkins you eat very few carbohydrates so little insulin is necessary to maintain your blood sugar levels. With CAD, your insulin levels are maintained through a little more sophisticated mechanism. It is the low insulin levels which allow your body to burn off its fat in both cases.

I work in a very bad food environment and cannot have any moments of weakness because the temptation is always there. After doing CAD for a while I've found the temptations no longer hold the same power over me. Best of all I feel more energetic and in a better mood on this plan. I think it has the same effect on most carb addicts. So that should be your first step, take the online test and find out if you are a carb addict and look at yourself and your dietary expectations. Its great to be able to eat foods that I like and feel great today, instead of having it all start "once I reach my ideal weight."

Let us know what you decide.
Nancy

Last edited by nawchem : Sun, Dec-15-02 at 17:37.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 21:37
Registered Member

Thanks Nancy.

Actually, I already took the online test last week. I hit 9 out of ten. This is one of the things that made me start to consider CAD in the first place.

After only trying this for a couple of days, I already know that my night time cravings are reduced. This was by far my biggest problem. I can go until 6-7 o'clock without eating and not feel hungry, but after 8 or so, you better lock down anything edible. My desire for sweets, in particular, was very strong.

I think I'll try CAD for a couple more days and keep watching the scale. If I jump up in weight (more than a pound or two), I'll have to jump off CAD and move back to Atkins(ish). I can't take the chance that my weight will return. Not after all the time and effort I've put into it.

shutt