Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: Began 8-26-02 with CALP
Stats: 174/???/135
BF:
Progress: -5%
Question Just finished reading CALP....

OK y'all, I just finished reading CALP. There's a lot to like about this WOE. Call me crazy, though; I feel if I'm not flogging myself and totally depriving myself, then the method isn't hard enough on me and probably won't work! (Although I see examples of that on this forum that run to the contrary.) I don't know how I would handle the slower rates of weight loss, though....impatient person that I am. I know it's not supposed to be a means to an end, but a habit. Still....

While I noticed talk in the book about insulin levels, I didn't see nearly the emphasis on dropping cholesterol levels as you would see, say, in Atkins. I am curious to hear from those of you doing CALP. How have your cholesterol levels dropped....and what about specific examples of insulin dropping (say, for example, from 135 to 95, or something like that).

Something else that took some getting used to is not seeing how many carbs there are in the recipes in the back of the book!!! I haven't even picked a method yet and already I'm accustomed to seeing carb amounts on EVERYTHING!!! Another reason why in the back of my head it doesn't seem HARD enough to be effective....*shrug* I know that sounds really weird, but I think you know where I'm coming from.

Anxiously awaiting to hear from the CALPers!

da BAT
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 00:40

Plan: CAD
Stats: 280/266/170
BF:
Progress: 13%

On July 1st I started CAD ( almost the same as CALP) and so far have lost 15 pounds. The emphasis is not on Carb amounts so much as just to eat foods with under 4 grams of carbs for your 2 comp meals and then a well rounded reward meal. so far it is working for me ( I find atkins too restrictive for me) I don't want to count carbs so this plan is something I can stick to for life. I really feel that this is the way that is actually going to help me get this weight off once and for all. You just have to take care not to buck wild with your reward meal or it could backfire on you causing you to gain instead of lose. I just take it day by day and if I find that I am gaining I make adjustments in what I am eating.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 06:11

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default Know where you're coming from

I'm doing CAD and have been for the past 2 weeks (about). I, too, am frustrated by slow weight loss, BUT I realize that I truly am a Carb Addict and I need to do this.

I've done practically every diet in the universe (okay, I exagerate) and low fat doesn't work for me. I don't lose an ounce. I'm also not really losing lbs on this (yet), but I believe if I keep at it, I will eventually lose this weight.

Give it a try. One thing I noticed almost immediately was an increase in energy. This was amazing. I always needed an afternoon nap. After only 2 days on CAD, I no longer needed a nap and haven't since! AMAZING!

It does seem almost too easy, but maybe it's about time we realize we deserve to have some good things in our life, too.

When I think I'm losing too slowly, I remember how long I've been at the same weight and tell myself, "If I could be at that weight for soooo long and not do anything about it, I can be at that weight and be eating healthy."

Does that make sense?

Go girl!

Jeannie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 16:41
Registered Member

BF:
Question Re-thinking things

Well I am on week 2 of Atkins induction and I really don't feel all that wonderful. I'm not noticing a huge weight loss either (read: ANY), which seems to be typical for Atkins "inductees." Perhaps I should re-read CALP and reconsider. I think I can live with a 1-2 pound loss a week as long as it is somewhat constant. But so far I am seeing nothing and feeling horrible. For some odd reason I have convinced myself that you really need to be beating yourself up BIG TIME in order to get some kind of weight loss reaction.

CALP seems like the 'kinder, gentler' way to get the same results (albeit slower). I think it would be a better diet (ooops, perhaps I should be thinking "way of life") for me to go on once I conceived as well (we'll start trying next year for a kid).

Thanks for the input.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 17:02

Cool Me again

I'm now beginning week 5 of CAD and doing great. I don't even think about cheating.

I've lost about 10 lbs and don't feel deprived at all. I, personally, haven't had success on Atkin's as it's way to restrictive for my personality. I have to have some carbs to feel like I'm living.

Do what works best for you. Cad isn't hard to understand (at least for me it isn't). Very lo carb for 2 meals, one Reward Meal that you are allowed to indulge a little.

Just wanted to update you, since my weight loss did pick up some. I seem to have, what they call "wooshes", where you don't lose for days on end and then WOOSH! Off come 2 or 3 lbs. Okay. If that's the way it works, it'll work for me.

Good luck!

Jeannie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 19:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default The old switcheroo

So tell me Jeannie, how long did you do Atkins before you decided to switch to CAD, and did you find yourself in a stall when you did the switch? Inquiring minds want to know

There IS something rather nice about the idea of a 'reward meal.' Honestly I think it would help me stay more in control, not out of control.

I told my husband about CALP and when I told him I was starting with Atkins induction I think he was disappointed...and concerned. Of COURSE, HE doesn't have to lose weight, and is as fit as a fiddle. (Rides his bike to work every day)

Love your signature
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 05:06

Talking Me again

Well, I didn't switch directly over from Atkins to CAD. I had a significant break (a whole pregnancy, lots of weight gain.)

I tried Atkins previously and couldn't handle the restriction. Felt like I was in jail (so to speak) when it came to eating. Too many "can't eats" on Atkin's for my personality.

But, I believed carbs were definitely my problem, so how to handle the carb problem but not do Atkins? The answer for me was CAD.

I have found this WOE to be extremely easy. I feel like I get plenty to eat and I don't feel deprived or sorry for myself.

Think on something....

From what you've written, you're concerned about losing quickly -- seeing results. (Aren't we all!!!) BUT, a thought process I've adopted is... HOW LONG WAS I JUST PLAIN FAT AND DIDN'T DO ANYTHING? Why is it now such an emergency that I lose FAST?

This is NOT a fast weight loss program. This is a slow, steady, stall, slow again, steady again, stall... weight loss program. If I know I've been following the program to the best of my ability, I can stick with it.

Also, do measurements or get a pair of tight pants or one's that just don't even go on. Try them on every week to see how the fit has changed. When you are eating hi protein, you will, will, will built muscle and move the fat out without necessarily seeing a big change on the scale.

You'll see that over and over again on this site, in all the Hi Protein, Lo Carb books and I've seen it personally. You want to lose FAT, not just weight.

I find I have no problem staying on this WOE when I don't see a change in the scale every morning (sometimes it even goes up!), when I don't feel deprived and angry about all the stuff I CAN'T eat.

Do what works for your psychi and your body. Both have to be involved to win this war.

Jeannie
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts diet
Stats: 217.2/179.7/172
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Hi

Hi Yall,

Just wanted to echo your sentiments....

Im an active CAD'er and have to say I love it and it is SO easy!!!

Ive lost 32 pounds now in the last 3 months and feel great. Im even starting to feel like my NEW trousers are getting too lose for me.

I love CAD because you CAN have carbs but just once per day and its so balanced.

I have to say too sometimes i feel like im cheating because its so easy and think it should be harder BUT its just that weight loss has been so misunderstood until the last few years and general perceptions seem to now be changing radically and quickly!!

HOpe to hear from you all soon..........
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:47

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Patience is a Virtue

Don't be in a big hurry. Change will come and pretty soon you will be looking back on the last year and saying " I can't believe I have done this!"

You are all doing fantastic and I will be waiting around with a smile on my face watching your successes!

Best wishes,
Libby

Last edited by Libbyfcr : Fri, Sep-06-02 at 21:05.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: GO, formerly CAD, formerly Atkins
Stats: 160/155/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile switching from Atkins to CAD/CALP

This whole thread is very interesting to me because I've been considering switching from Atkins to CAD/CALP (haven't decided which one, but CALP seems much easier). I started Atkins July 17 and definitely have seen the pattern...lose, stall, gain, stall, lose. I've only lost 8 pounds, which is actually not bad since that's more than 1 pound a week. I'm coming off a stall right now, too, so I expect I'll drop another pound in the next day or two. So far I don't see any difference in size, but I definitely don't feel so full and bloated. Low-carb isn't real hard for me, but I do miss pizza!

Anybody have any thoughts about CAD vs CALP?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 18:48

Cool Short thought

After reading both books, CAD is much less restrictive than CALP, but if you like order in your life, CALP is probably the better way to go. Less choices, it seems.

CAD, to me, is simple.

1. Very lo carb breakfast
2. Very lo carb lunch
3. Well balanced dinner with option to have carb of choice or induldge in a treat, if you so desire. (Reward Meal)

CALP is a little more laden with rules (i.e., salad is a must before each RM. 1/3 veggie; 1/3 protein; 1/3 carb for RM...)

Good luck. I find it very easy for the most part. Not a hard WOE to follow.

Jeannie
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 21:09

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Simple......

Personally I think they are both simple to comprehend and follow. My preference however is for the CALP book. I think it just clarifies a few things from the first book.

My suggestion is this...... read them both and then decide what works for you. If you are like me then you will have to learn from trial and error regarding what works best for you.

They are both good books.

Libby
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 13:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks for the input

Thanks for all the input. As much as I like both CAD & CALP, I don't find the books well written. They are very confusing and I had to re-read some of both of figure out exactly what the plan is. The main thing I like about CALP is having a snack, not that I snack that much. Also, on both of them, if breakfast and lunch are the complementary meals, where are the carbs in breakfast? The books refer to things like eggs and bacon???
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 06:52
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts diet
Stats: 217.2/179.7/172
BF:
Progress: 83%

hi carolsofla,

Im an active CAD'er. The book is a little unclear at times but the basic principles are you restrict your carbs to a 60 minute period, once per day.

SO if you want them at breakfast you could have Cheese on toast with some tomatoes of whatever you like.

Personally, I stick my reward meal for the end of the day because it feels good to look forward to my carbs with dinner. I still love my rice, pasta and potatoes!!!

Good luck!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 15:32
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks, Mike

Well, if it's working for you and you mainly restrict your carbs to the one 60-minute timeframe, that's certainly easy. I'm getting really close to giving it a try. For instance, last night we went out to dinner and I was absolutely craving Italian food. I had veal and peppers with no pasta, a salad, and a glass of wine (and my low-carb cheesecake, of course!). This morning I'm up a little. Good grief.