Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 10:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Immersion Blender at Costco

Know I have raved about finally buying an Immersion Blender for making mayo, whipped cream and BPC. Might have been in a mayo recipe thread but can't find it now.
Anyway...Costco's holiday sales book arrived.

Week Nov 9-16 will have the Cuisinart Smart Stick with a wisk attachment and beaker. $19.99 after $10 off regular Costco price. Appears a model made for them but nothing close to it in price on Amazon. I don't have the wisk now, thinking I will pass my blender on, and get this one instead...on assumption wisk would be a great extra for LC uses. Anyone use it now?

Nov 24-27, the 13 cup food processor with Spiralizer, slicer and shredder blades on sale for $99 from $150. Personally, I can hand crank the spiralizer but someone was asking about one a while ago?

Have only had a Costco membership for about a year and half so I am still infatuated with some of their deals. In SC yesterday, first time saw Kirkland liquor sales! (NC has state controlled liquor, we never got over prohibition )
And so many foods that fit into LC lifestyle...I am using my membership way more than ever imagined for two people.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-02-17 at 14:05.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 10:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I've got that one, I've tried the whisk attachment a few times. No go and messy for me, rather do it by hand. Chopper has not been useful either. However, the stick as worked awesome - I use it every day - however, I've never been able to make Mayo with it. Always folds, then I take the failure and do it by hand. No wonder I don't eat mayo anymore
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 10:40

Thanks for your tip...here I though the wisk would make everything even "fluffier", esp the whipped cream...it works OK but takes a while.

I have never had a fail using this mayo recipe, https://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/...ake-mayonnaise/ Started with the light bertolli oil, but now I use Avocado Oil (also Costco!). Use a straight sided jar to mix and store.

Thanks Thud! I trust your advice around the kitchen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 10:56

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Maybe I'll try one more time. Seriously it looks so easy but I never get it right. I must be missing a step. I'll read that article again. Thank J!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 11:36
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I use my emersion blender whisk attachment all the time. I use it to make whipped cream and to get the lumps out of LC cheesecake pudding or my LC pancake batter (both of which have cream cheese in them). I've also used it to blend protein shakes, chocolate almond milk, and whipping up eggs.

It can be messy. They are best used in bowls that have vertical sides. We also have a mixing bowl that has a lid with a center hole big enough for the whisk. My old emersion blender was single speed (high). The one I bought last year has a high and low speed. That helped greatly with the mess situation. If what I am whipping is thin I start on low and then finish on high. I use my emersion blender more for the whisk attachment than for emersion blending.

I've never tried using the whisk for making mayo. The emersion blender works fine for that and I figure why mess with something that works.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 11:46

Thanks Ken! Think it might be worth it just for whipped cream.
And the holiday pumpkin bake with cream cheese has that lump problem...a regular hand mixer, or the immersion blender doesn't seem to remove lumps without long mixing.

The straight-sided beaker that comes with this deal is 24 oz, rather than the 16 oz one currently have.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-02-17 at 14:02.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 03:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

tip for whipping cream:

Put the whisk attachment and your bowl or beaker in the freezer for 20 or 30 minutes beforehand .. and make sure the cream is also very cold. This helps to stabilize the fat globules in the cream, especially since you won't be adding sugar .
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 11:37

Thanks Doreen! You are all convincing me I "need" the wisk attachment
Looked at it today...it is about two inches taller than the unit I have, with a taller beaker, though both have a 200W motor.