Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 07:03
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Sophia!
Welcome to this forum. I am also a lurker on the CAFriends site- they are on Yahoo Groups if you want to find them again. I really like this site- much more active, very positive and so much information.
I have been on CALP since 2003,and it has totally changed my life.
I was not dieting to lose weight, but on low fat because my cholesterol was so high. No one could understand why I was gaining weight over the years. The doctors just kept telling me to eat less and less fat. Then my blood tests got even worse,a dnI realized it was up to me to figure it out. I found LC, picked CALP because I knew it made sense for me, and the rest is history! I felt 'normal' for the first time in years after I started, adn have been OP with CALP since.
I am so glad you are here- we can really benefit from someone with your experience!
Please come over to the HOUR POWER thread- it is like our daily thread. This site also allows you to have your own journal- and I know I spend hours reading the posts from all over the site!
WELCOME!
E
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 21:50

Plan: cad
Stats: 187/161/152 Female 56 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thanks for the welcome!
I will try to post there tomorrow--I am not used to posting on the Internet.....

Sophia
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-11, 13:52

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 181/174/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 13%

There's a lot of good info here. THanks to those who post their experiences and plans.

Like many of you, I did CAD briefly a decade ago and am now back. In between were years of ignoring the issue followed by periods of Atkins, South Beach, Glycemic Index and of course, the low cal/fat, high carb that is a nightmare for us.

This time around, with blood sugar issues top deal with, I understand it better and after three days have a nice 6 lb drop and the beginnings of control. Yay!!

Good to be back.
Deb
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-11, 14:17
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Deb-
and welcome.
For so many of us, it is all about the insulin. I really believe that I would have been a diabetic if I had not found this plan.
This site has helped me soooo much- hope it is helpful to you too.
E
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-11, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 159/143/130 Female 161 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi all

Just thought I'd post my experiences here

I'm 27 and basically since the age of 7 have had an issue with food and trying to control my weight

Including CAD I've tried EVERYTHING:

weight watchers, Atkins, Jenny Craig, Sure Slim, the Zone, vegetarianism, whole food diets, shakes diets, herbalife etc etc etc

CAD is the ONLY plan I've ever felt like I actually wasnt ON a diet.. all the others there was a sense of 'white knuckling' it

So why havent I stuck with CAD in the past.??

Several reasons

I've had a battle with alcohol addiction which has finally been brought under control (one day at a time) with AA and doing the 12 steps

At times I think I've also 'sold out' to the elusive quick fix.. lose 5 pounds in a week type plans..which are never stickable

The biggest part of my spiritual recovery program is the requirement for total honesty with myself

I know that I've used food in the past as a crutch and being unable to 'stick to' a diet plan.. I dont even get to the 2 or 3 week mark.. after a day or so I just cant be a~#$(d and break it

I've also realised that the high fibre, carb low fat approach just doesnt work for me... i'm much better on a low carb plan

need to BALANCE my INSULIN - its all about the insulin

SO that brought me to the crossroads of 'what low carb plan will i follow?'

Initially, even though I had tried CAD before and loved it (but never stuck to it because alcohol binges would wreck havoc with my blood sugar so i'd break on CAD also) I thought Atkins - its kind of the purist's approach and there is a plethora of information out there on it and heaps of online support

BUT - too limiting (intially anyway) my mind cant handle a deprivation period (EVEN FOR TWO WEEKS!)

Something else thats always stuck with me - Eno pointed this out I think.. is that you have to look at the longevity of an eating plan..

Yes while Atkins gives you great weight loss success initially (and for many long term I know) you have to apply what you know about yourself and ask - can i do this long term? Establishing your CCLL and your CCLM ie adding carbs back in until you reach and equilibrium of sorts in Atkins I KNEW WOULDNT work for ME.. because I would go ahhhh stuff it and just add it all back in in one week

Whereas with CAD where you balance at each RM is much simpler for me and because I've balanced my insulin at the other meals i'm in far better control

Lastly - having bought and read the CALP book has really helped.. the stress on balanceeeeee has made all the difference in keeping me in control through the day..

Sorry for my long rant - I just wanted to get this all out
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-11, 18:22
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
not a rant- a nice post. Thanks- it really makes sense. SO how long have you been doing this now, and how has your weight been on CALP?

I think you are so lucky to discover this about yourself now- you don't have to be in your 30s or 40s or 50s to 'get it'.

E
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-11, 12:46

Plan: Atkins & CAD
Stats: 458/394/180 Female 5'4"
BF:yup..very.
Progress: 23%

Hi everyone,

I have been absent from the forum for over 6 years (yikes)..but I had amazing success doing both atkins and CAD...for me Atkins is the best way for me to get jumpstarted/motivated and lose fast, but I absolutely swear by CAD as a Way Of Life...no other way of eating and living takes my focus OFF of food and help me maintain and continue weight loss like CAD does. I was off the wagon for the past 6 months (got married, pregnant with twins, ate for three, miscarried & kept eating for 3...)..got prego again right after MC and the morning sickness usually got me eating toast first thing..but I had been avoiding scale and knew i was going back up by the way I felt so yesterday I told my hubby....NO MORE CARBS!!...doing atkins for today ...or at least till I feel the cravings are under control ....then going back to CAD way of life ...which i love. OB says atkins is good but CAD is better during pregnancy. Wondering how many of us are still here on forum. Blessings to all...
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-11, 14:43
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
congrats on the pregnancy! ANd I'm glad you're back. Did you visit the pregnancy area in the health section? Lots of great support.

I was here 6 years ago......

be good to yourself!
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-11, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 127.5/131/115 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: -28%

Hi there,

I am in CAD for 5 days now. I am new but will stick to this plan and here to stay!
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 14:27

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi!
count me in as well
I am on the CAD/CALP!
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 14:34

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Welcome..we must have been on at least one list in common since I first began CALP sometime in 1997 or 98.

I love being here, do encourage you to consider using the Journal option, I find it essential for me.

best wishes to you!
Oh duh..it's january 2012..LOL..here I am answering the January 2011 posts..hee! But..yes, if we are doing a count..here I am
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-12, 00:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
Welcome..we must have been on at least one list in common since I first began CALP sometime in 1997 or 98.

I love being here, do encourage you to consider using the Journal option, I find it essential for me.

best wishes to you!

Thanks!! Wow 1997, 98!

I was wondering about the Journal option. I am not sure where it is in the forum? Have tried to find it.

Bless!
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-12, 01:33

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Look in the upper right corner of the text box that says welcome happy girl, you last visited..etc. there should be a green clickable button on about the same line as the welcome text, that says Journal..that's the link to your journal.
I know you have the option, when I read your posts, there is a button for me to click to go read your journal entries, if you have them.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-12, 02:15

BF:

Thank you Patricia!

Found it. Wish you a pleasant day!
Is this the way to go:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...788#post8483788

Bless!
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-12, 11:39

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict's
Stats: 168/165/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Ok I'm back as well. Was just diagnosed with PCOS. With that said I checked into the diet that is most beneficial with this syndrome and guess what? Low carb is the way to go!! Imagine that no wonder when I stick to this program I am able to lose and then maintain my weight. Needless to say the holidays have not been kind to my resolve so starting again today.