Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 10:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/192/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Not sure where to ask

Hi there I am new and have been trying to find info on high blood pressure meds, and if they have caused a stall with anyone out there and what you did to break it. I started a few months ago at 217 and I have been at 211 now since after the first two weeks. I have been keeping the carbs under 20 a day. Have been showing ketosis on my strips. But I just don't get the no budging on the scale at all. I have been feeling fantastic in every other way. So I am not too worried but would like to get the scale moving a little quicker
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 10:46

BF:

Just because I am sure someone will ask a typical day for me is
Breakfast
Eggs
Maybe bacon once a week
With veg and cheese usually

Lunch
Salad 3 c.
Full fat ranch dressing
Or homemade w olive oil and lemon or lime juice
Salmon or tuna

Dinner
Is usually all meat
Steak or burger

I do have jello sf for snacks
And cream cheese sometimes
I do drink coffee
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 11:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome! What HBP meds are you currenlty taking? Some, such as beta blockers can slow weight loss, but there are many variables in the beginning that affect weight loss progress, and HBP meds can simply be one, not necessarily the root cause.

When you drink coffee, do you add a sweetener or cream? Have you checked the ingredients in your salad dressings, as some with lots of ingredients can be a problem to certain people. I use pure olive oil with vinegar or lemon juice, and that works really well.

I was able to normalize my BP and worked with my doctor to stop my BP meds, but it took several months before I was ready for that. You're off to a good start, and having been through this process myself several years ago, the hardest thing to realize is that weight loss doesn't occur in a steady state, and there are times that it doesn't occur at all. Take on a longer term mindset, as you are moving in the right direction. Since you're feeling fantastic, I'd take that as an indication that you're making the right choices. Enjoy the journey!!!

Edited to add: We have had several recent posts on this forum addressing HBP and medications. If you use the Search function at the top of the page, select Advanced Search, as the normal search function from this page doesn't work, and use "blood pressure" or "blood pressure medications" as your key words. It should result in several threads that identify those medications that are known to cause stalls.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Tue, Apr-18-17 at 11:23.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 11:33

BF:

Thanks for that, I am on olmetec plus, it is a direretic and a bp med. I am confident because of the way I feel. And thanks for the search tips. I have been so busy reading success stories that I have not navigated around too much yet. I would love to break the stall.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 12:16

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Since the diet is diuretic and your BPM is also diuretic, your body may be working hard to conserve water as you lose fat, and water is heavier than fat. But your body needs the water and your goal is fat loss, not water loss.

Are you measuring your BP? Some people drop much lower or into the normal range, requiring fewer or no meds or a different med with no diuretic.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 12:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome,
What has happened with your blood pressure been since starting low carb? I ask because often BP drops too low if you stay on previous dosage and it is something to monitor carefully. This is a good guide all about BP: https://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure#medication

There is a Tips and Stalls forum here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14

And a good list here also: https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 22:52

BF:

Thanks for the great info, it was very helpful. I just hope I can work my way off the bp meds. I am depressed to think that I may have to be on it forever and have this weight for the rest of my life. Kind of down on myself, sorry about that
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 06:55

BF:

Usually a diuretic is the first course of action by a physician to treat HBP, since it reduces blood volume to reduce BP. Often it's combined with another BP reducing med for optimum effect, but it doesn't sound like you required that. Having a goal of eliminating HBP and then the meds is a very real objective for you. I was able to do this with two HBP meds (neither a diuretic), but it's a process, and with any prescribed meds, working with a physician is key. I'll qualify this by saying that working with a physician who supports an Atkins or low carb approach to achieve what you are trying to do is also important, as she/he will understand the implications of the diuretic effect of a low carb diet as well. The opportunity to eventually correct BP and eliminate the meds is always best accomplished as a team effort. This is a very reasonable goal for you.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-17, 07:16

BF:

Well I am happy to report the scale has finally moved, yeah
207 this morning. Now that is a good motivator
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 03:18

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Woohooo!! Weigh to go!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 05:55

BF:

Excellent!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 06:38
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Congrats on the loss. If you keep working your plan, the scale will eventually give in and reflect your progress with a better number. I too got off of BP meds at about 10 months into this WOE. I'm not sure if it happens with everybody, but I had a rebound on the scale after discontinuing my BP diuretic meds. It make sense. The action of the medication is to expel water and when you stop taking them you will regain more water. For me that was bout 5 pounds. I gained those 5 pounds in just a day or two and then had to lose them all over again. It was just a blip in the journey. Still, it was kind a bummer when it happened. We work hard for every pound lost, so it didn't seem fair to have to lose the same 5 pounds all over again. But it was worth it in the long run. I am happy to be off of all prescriptions. I am happy to be sleeping through the night (most nights) without having to get up and visit the bathroom.

I hope that you too will be able to get off of your BP prescriptions. I just wanted you to be aware that when that happens there may be a tick up on the scale for a time.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-03-17, 00:31

BF:

Thanks for that