Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-15, 08:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Cheating as needed, avoiding cheating as needed. All good, as long as it works for the individual. If a show of hands is any indication, avoiding cheating seems to be a greater need for most people. If it works, it works, that's all. The other guy's approach isn't wrong--his experience just doesn't prove that his approach is good for everybody, that's all.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-15, 16:22

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecrane
Let me be explicit. You're not allowed to talk about will power here. If you do, someone will become offended and accuse you of acting dominant.

By the way, I lost 80 lbs since this thread was created a year and a half ago, cheating for weeks as needed. Molly B was wrong. Plain and simple.

Will power has NOTHING on freerange out-of-control insulin looking for something to put away into cells that don't want to take it in the first place. There is a very real psychological element at work here. If it doesn't apply to you, then yay for you. If you act as if purposely setting that chain of events into motion that takes things out of control is nothing but a lack of willpower? There will be people here that will contradict that erroneous and rather arrogant assumption, every time. Without fail.
  #183   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-15, 17:27
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

This is clearly one of those things, like many say, specific to the individual.

When eating LC, I could probably cheat with chocolate or candy all day and go back to eating LC and not blink an eye.

If I cheated LC with two bites of something with gluten in it, I'd be lucky to crawl back on the wagon three months later.

Will power is not a magical thing that floats around outside someone's head. It is tied implicitly to the physiology of the human body. If one HAS 'willpower' in response to a certain food or drug or situation, it is because the body responds in such a way to enable that. If one doesn't, it's because the body responds in such a way to complicate or even disable that.

There are alcoholics who completely lose it after years of sobriety by eating something that had a little alcohol in it and they don't even consciously know it. The trigger is that severe for some people. There are others who can drink daily for a long time and then decide they should probably just stop doing it so they do. This is physiological in nature, not magical. The people who are able to stop are not morally superior because it's easier or possible for them.

Certainly putting one's mind to something is a hugely important thing, and it plays a very big role in accomplishing most anything in life.

But when it comes to "biochemical reactions" this has to be recognized for the practical, not magical, matter that it is.

If a person is not really bothered by various off-plan foods, and can eat them and return to plan without issue, awesome. Most people actually do have SOME foods they can do that with -- depending of course on their physiology.

For the other vast majority of the human race, though, getting everything offplan totally out of the house, and staying onplan to the maximum degree possible, is probably going to be a more viable solution to their nutritional issues.

In a way, the debate is a little like the exercise one. Some people have the energy to do massive exercise and they are sure that everyone else should simply do this too and if they don't, they have no willpower and are lazy. But really, it is the biological issue of having the energy/strength to do that exercise to begin with, that is the fundamental difference. It isn't a moral difference. It isn't a magical thing. It's basic physiology.

PJ
  #184   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-15, 20:43

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Not again!

#185   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-15, 17:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Well there ya have it! I read most of the thread....I think people decide to do what they decide to do..it's efficacy is determined long term.....Ive been here on and off for a very long time....I think the best advice I get is from long term maintainers....soooo many people disappear over time .. some reappear years later with a story to tell...and most..all or all-plus weight regained.... in reading their stories I have learned much......perhaps as much as Ive learned from long term maintainers..I appreciate and respect their stories....I think some of the advice given here comes from that observation and experience.
  #186   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 16:18

Stats: 255/254/220 Male 201 cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecrane
Now this is a long way off, so please understand I am only asking out of curiosity. In October, I'm going on Vacation and do not want to deprive myself of ice cream / junk food / breads etc... Basically, the things we should never eat. I'm going to stay on induction from now till then, and will not have a problem returning to induction imediatly afterwards. My will power is pretty good. Hence I am 'planning' this cheat weak.

How much damage will this do? Will I gain water weight that will shed quickly in 1-2 weeks? Or will I gain back everything I lost from now till then?

My wife and I are going to Tulum in May and I don't plan on depriving myself either. It's not like one week of eating and drinking whatever you feel like is going to suddenly pile 30 lbs on you. It certainly never did any other week I vacationed away before Atkins. I figure the worst that could happen is I may gain a few pounds on vacation depending on how badly I over do it. When I get home I'll just go back on strict induction until I burn it back off.
  #187   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 07:23
Registered Member

Stats: 254/231/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by annuvin
My wife and I are going to Tulum in May and I don't plan on depriving myself either. It's not like one week of eating and drinking whatever you feel like is going to suddenly pile 30 lbs on you. It certainly never did any other week I vacationed away before Atkins. I figure the worst that could happen is I may gain a few pounds on vacation depending on how badly I over do it. When I get home I'll just go back on strict induction until I burn it back off.

I've kept 90% of the weight off by cheating every weekend. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as you don't have food addiction and don't go off the deep end. Also, finding induction foods quite filling, i find myself eating only 1,100 calories / day on induction, speeding weight loss further. This isn't intentional. I simply do not desire any more food than that.

Can't wait to hear how offended everyone is that I compared food addiction to a lack of control though.
  #188   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 12:56

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Maybe it will be a long wait. I remember the main argument against you as being that people with binge/addiction problems with carbohydrate foods didn't have the option of just cheating for a day. If this works for you, good for you. You asked the worst that could happen, we told you what we thought the worst that could happen was, that turned out to not be you. Peace, already.