Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/190/150 Female 5 foot 6 inch
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Which version?

Hi! I've been successful on Atkins before and basically just followed the induction list. I really want to focus on making this a lifestyle change. I have one of the books at home, and can neither find it nor remember what version it is. It wasn't the original, because it counts net carbs, not total. Is there one version over another that is preferred? I'm thinking what I had was DANDR but it looks like there may be different versions of that as well??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 11:49

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I have the Kindle version of DANDR, published in 2002. It uses net carbs. I like it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 12:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Look UP on this forum to the two stickies. ^^^
That is the 2002 version, induction and OWL.
DANDR is often seen in thrift stores, used on Amazon, and likely at a library.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 12:13
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks! I've read the stickies, I'm just not aware of the pros and cons of the different versions and thought some opinions or those who are more experieced could help.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 12:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That is a common question too...follow the links here, many opinions: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...986#post9199986
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 15:24
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

The paper-back copy that got me started was $1 at a used bookstore -- best $1 I ever spent I might add.
Not sure what version, it was old, had a picture of Dr. Atkins on the front -- I lent it to a friend who never returned it. You know how that goes. At the time I was unaware of any other versions.

There are a couple Atkins "Carb-Counters" .pdf files I found on-line that are very helpful. One even includes fast-food fare. Can't pull those up right now, they are on one of my older computers.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 08:01

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

When you read the info, you may see as I did that the "New" version versus Atkins '72 (the original) is more liberal with the amount of vegetables you can have in induction, and induction is for at least two weeks rather than one.

Once you get into Phase 2/OWL (onoing weight loss), it's very much the same in both versions. The only difference I see, according to what he wrote, is that in the original '72 version you can add any approved food back into your diet in any order, rather than in strict rung-by-rung order, as long as it's 5 g at a time. His concern was more that you can stick with Atkins for life and make it work for you.

You can take or leave the net carbs thing. I find it to be just one more layer of complicated and so count total. Whatever works best for you.

Last edited by barb712 : Sat, May-20-17 at 08:19.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 08:24
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your help, everyone!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 07:23
Registered Member

Stats: 187/181/150 Female 5' 9''
BF:
Progress: 16%

i'm new..but started on Adkins 20 on the internet. i thought it was the same diet as always until my husband educated me that it was not, but changed to appeal to a wider audience, and dragged out his old "Diet Revolution" book. (the second version right after Adkins 72)

i switched to that version and I'm losing better and steady. There's a great line in that book, where Adkins says, if you don't stick to the 20 carb count and rules of acceptable foods, you will just be doing another diet. And that is what Adkins 20 was. Just another diet where you'd have to count calories and restrict carbs to make it work. It allows more foods, net carbs, and pushes Adkins frankenfoods. Marketing at your expense.
I also read the thread on here on Adkins 72..his very first more restricted version, where induction is even a bit more restricted for one week.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 04:24

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Welcome to the forum, Elisa!

Btw it is "Atkins" not "Adkins" that most of us here follow!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 04:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I've come to believe it doesn't matter.

I didn't do Induction. I scaled my carbs back from 300 a day to 50 a day; and I lost weight and felt better. But that was only the beginning.

As time went on, I got better at cooking and counting, and now I do IF, too. But it's all about what works. What is sustainable. Molding our mind into this new attitude about what is food... and what is not.

Because it is all about what works for us; and that can vary by each person. I do okay with fruit if eaten with a meal. Others do better staying away from it, but they can have a controlled portion of sweet potato without an issue. I have evolved a simple rule: if a food makes me hungry instead of satisfying me, it is not food.

If your body needs less carbs for slimness and health, eat less carbs. Experimenting with what works creates an easy path because we aren't trying to overcome the impossible like constant hunger and bad sleep and grouchy moods.

Every single person who screws up and renews their determination (which includes me) figured this out. Different plans have different ways of teaching us this new way to eat, but it's always going to be a new way to eat. We can't tell you what will work best for you. Only you can do that.

People act like the plan they choose is of vital importance; when an equally important decision is to stick with it. That is the key to success.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 05:26

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

^^^ ^^^