Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 06:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Needing Fiber, how to calculate carbs

I am taking 4 tsp of a Metameucil type supplement that adds up to 45 calories and 22 carbs for just 12 carbs. It's sugar free, too. I used to eat Fiber One cereal which has 14 g dietary fiber and 25 carbs per half cup for 60 sugar free calories. How do I calculate the carbs in these foods? It seems like Fiber One is the better deal but my dr. recommended the other. Does anyone use either or both? This is a necessity for my diet and if I have to use up my carbs, I shall, but what a waste.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 06:25

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

What is the medical reason your doctor is recommending fibre? Perhaps she has a preferred method of calculating the carbs.

I purchased a large bag of psyllium powder - tossed that out - wasn't useful in cooking that I could find. Now the only additional "fibre" that I use is flax meal. I add that to stuff as a thickening agent in cooking. I loosely count it net carbs indicated on the bag of about 1 NC per serving I toss in stuff. All of the other fibre I get in my diet is from vegetables and shirataki noodle I guess.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 09:41

BF:

She knows I have had problems with constipation and rather than take pills she wanted me to go with a natural solution.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 11:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
I am taking 4 tsp of a Metameucil type supplement that adds up to 45 calories and 22 carbs for just 12 carbs.

Do you mean 22 grams carb, 10 fiber, so 12 net?

A purer form of psyllium like Thud was talking about would be better, that's almost all fiber, very little digestible carbohydrate. Or you can make a sort of hot cereal with a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seed, it's pretty good with a little heavy cream.

Important to get enough water in with these kinds of fiber.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 11:49

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I take 4 tbs of flax seed, grind it fresh and mix it with 2 tbs of melted coconut oil and a little salt. Sometimes I add some unsweetened shredded coconut. Teaser's suggestion of cream sounds good too. I just don't eat dairy. I also use shirataki noodles which are close to 100% fiber. I usually stir fry some low carb veggies in coconut oil and serve it over the shirataki noodles. You can get plenty of fiber this way without buying one of those products that contain other ingredients you probably don't want or need.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 16:22

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappaOne
She knows I have had problems with constipation and rather than take pills she wanted me to go with a natural solution.

Ah, understood. Some more good suggestions above.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 05:35

BF:

Thank you for your recipes. I'll rephrase my question. How do you calculate net carbs? Where do soluble and insoluble come in? Thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 06:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Generally for fiber, you just subtract total fiber from total carbohydrate, and that gives you net carbs. This is only true if you're in a country where fiber is included in the "total carbohydrate" count. Occassionally people will mistake this, and think that if they take 5 grams of pure sugar, and add 5 grams of pure fiber to that, they'll get zero net carbs, but that's not how it works, that would be 10 grams for total carbs, 5 grams net.

Technically, soluble fiber can result in some proprionate being produced by bacteria in the colon, the body can synthesize glucose from this, this wouldn't happen with insoluble fiber. So the "true" digestible carb count might go up a little bit with soluble fiber, but the absolute contribution from this is probably fairly small.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 08:06

Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

If you eat all the veggies required in the Atkins approach, constipation should no longer be a problem.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 05:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Generally for fiber, you just subtract total fiber from total carbohydrate, and that gives you net carbs. This is only true if you're in a country where fiber is included in the "total carbohydrate" count. Occassionally people will mistake this, and think that if they take 5 grams of pure sugar, and add 5 grams of pure fiber to that, they'll get zero net carbs, but that's not how it works, that would be 10 grams for total carbs, 5 grams net.

Technically, soluble fiber can result in some proprionate being produced by bacteria in the colon, the body can synthesize glucose from this, this wouldn't happen with insoluble fiber. So the "true" digestible carb count might go up a little bit with soluble fiber, but the absolute contribution from this is probably fairly small.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks Teaser.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 06:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchesu
If you eat all the veggies required in the Atkins approach, constipation should no longer be a problem.

Comanchesu, it's a problem I inherited so I'm constantly working on being in control of it. We keep boxes of enemas in the house--hope that's not TMI. The doctors know what's going on and I'm doing the right things to "clean house" insofar as possible. It's a serious and painful problem no matter what I eat but I certainly go for the good fiber as much as I can. Thanks for the input.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 12:46

BF:

I figured for my protein shake--Muscle Milk+ Metameucil=18 net carbs to start my day and occasionally get me through it. And Fiber One has 11 net carbs per half cup. I read a lot about healthy recipes here and health supplements, and perhaps the judgment would be that I am not making the best choices for increasing my protein and fiber, but for me, this is the best I can do for myself. It seems to be working. I was eating under 20 carbs for 10 months, and my doctor told me to start adding a yogurt and an apple as healthy carbs. Many carbs, I thought. But I cooperated and increased carbs quite a bit. Now I try to keep it around 50-70. As I said, it does the job as well at 20 g did. Maybe someday I'll cook the right vegetables and blend the right fruits. For the next few pounds (15 to go) I'm going to try to stick to something without altering it every pound.