Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 11:28

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default What to eat when ill

Just thinking about eating beef, poultry or fish makes me sick. I've managed to eat a banana because it's rich in potassium and yesterday my legs hurt and I got cramp in my calf. I've also had my mum's vegetable soup. I love it. Any other suggestions (low-carb, high-carb, it doesn't matter)? I don't even want to know my weight at this point. I've probably lost a lot of lean mass.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 12:04

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sorry you are sick...
How about a baked apple with cinnamon & honey?
Baked sweet potato.
applesauce
any of your favorite foods that make you feel good. For me it is fresh pineapple.
blueberries

I am wondering how you got sick.
Are you taking vitamin D ???
The only time I get sick now is if I get glutened or if I cheat and have a GF grain homemade treat. sorghum flour does not like me plus it is CC...
jeanne
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 12:28

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Scrambled eggs always sit gently on my stomach. Chicken soup is great too! I hope you feel better soon!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 12:35

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
Chicken soup is great too!
Just what I was going to suggest.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 12:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

egg drop soup
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 13:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpaperdol
Sorry you are sick...
How about a baked apple with cinnamon & honey?

I ate an apple yesterday, fresh, not baked, and it was horrible. I'm a bit afraid of apples, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe my mistake was trying to eat fresh fruit and cooked would have been fine.
Quote:
Baked sweet potato.

Before I got this terrible bug I ate a couple of baked sweet potatoes practically every day. Now for some reason it doesn't feel right. I've been thinking about white potatoes, maybe I could eat a few.
Quote:
applesauce
any of your favorite foods that make you feel good. For me it is fresh pineapple.
blueberries

Good suggestions.
Quote:
I am wondering how you got sick.
Are you taking vitamin D ???
The only time I get sick now is if I get glutened or if I cheat and have a GF grain homemade treat. sorghum flour does not like me plus it is CC...

I sunbathe whenever I can, though lately the weather has been cloudy more often than not. I've never had any symptom except heartburn after I cheated. I don't think I'm sensitive to gluten at all. I think stress and a tough virus got me, I mean, not even the best diet and supplements will protect you against all bugs.

Thanks for all suggestions. I'm going to try an egg drop soup later.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 14:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/124.4/120.0 Female 62 inches
BF:31/25/22
Progress: 80%

Chicken broth or beef broth might work. Bone broths are nourishing without being heavy, and if you don't have a homemade one handy, you can always but a carton of organic stock that doesn't have a lot of crap in it. It's good straight, or with a little ginger and garlic--great boosts for the immune system. You could even add a raw egg and a little shaved romano cheese to make a kind of straciatelli (sp?) soup.

Get well.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 16:14
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Broths are awesome. If you can stomach a little meat, it might be easier to eat if it's in broth with some vegetables.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 16:36

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

hillsgroc, what a great suggestion about adding ginger to broth! Ginger really helps to settle a stomach, and it tastes great.

I was thinking further on your illness Mirrorball, and wanted to add a suggestion that you poach whatever fruit you think you might want to eat...I think it would sit better on your stomach. Eating anything raw right now might not be such a great idea, unless it's fermented.

I really hope you feel better soon! Keep us posted!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-11, 08:25

BF:

I'm feeling a bit better today. I've been having only vegetable soup (the base is a beef broth) and orange juice with lime or acerola (a small, sour tropical fruit). I couldn't get up the courage to try eggs yet, but later today I intend to roast some white potatoes. I don't know why sweet potatoes make my skin crawl but white potatoes don't. Never mind. I think my appetite is coming back slowly. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-11, 08:51

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
I sunbathe whenever I can, though lately the weather has been cloudy more often than not.

unfortunately from what i've read, it's nearly impossible to get enough D3 through sunbathing. supplementing really does keep you healthy. since we've started it and have been taking it consistently, we haven't even gotten colds. i'd highly recommend it.

glad you're feeling better!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-11, 09:11

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph317
unfortunately from what i've read, it's nearly impossible to get enough D3 through sunbathing.
It's makes you wonder how the human race ever lasted so long without vit D supplements doesn't it?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-11, 09:47

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
It's makes you wonder how the human race ever lasted so long without vit D supplements doesn't it?

i think they were outside all the time which very few people do now. maybe it has to do with pollution or something too. i don't know.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-11, 13:06

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Lots of Vitamin D for me...

Well we have a few hundred years worth of damage to our bodies from generations of mothers eating chemicals, grains, sugar and other stuff. Not counting pesticides, antibiotics and other "modern Medications". And, some of us lived, instead of dying as children, because we had antibiotics available.

Plus our best diet is still not good enough to repair all the damage. I for one am not eating organ meats and bone marrow like people used to. In my lifetime I can remember that my grandparents ate, possum, squirrel, rabbit, deer, beef, pork, chickens from the backyard, crawfish from local ponds, local fish, crocodiles, wild turkeys, other birds that they shot, armadillo and anything else that roamed around that was edible. My grandmother could cook anything & make it delicious. No one (even company) ever asked what was for dinner - it was meat, period.

I take 6,000iu of vitamin D a day & do not plan to change that. I also am hardly ever sick anymore... It is known to prevent cancer & other autoimmune illnesses.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-11, 14:29

BF:

Menu today: banana, orange juice, egg drop/vegetable soup, potatoes. Later I may eat chicken breast. I'm hungrier but still not normal. I get tired very easily, so no exercise, plenty of rest. Weight this morning was 119.5 lb, it was a bit scary, but hopefully I'm not losing any more weight. Not like this, anyway.