Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-09, 08:42

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine08
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about two years ago and tested positive for thyroid antibodies about a year ago. To test negative for the antibodies you must test below 35 (unsure of units). . . Well I tested above 170. It took practically pulling teeth to get my endocrinologist to tell me I had Hashimoto's disease as he was not concerned with the cause of my underactive thyroid. . .

I currently take 50mcg of Synthroid daily along with a Metabolic Advantage herbal supplement. I am not symptom free and my endocrinologist insists my symptoms are not cause by my thyroid. I suffer from hair loss, dry patches on the skin, chronic fatigue, brain fog, forgetfulness, cold extremeties, sore throat and difficulty swollowing... still. I switched doctors (to a DO) and seem to be on the right path for treatment.

I just started an LC high fat diet a few days ago and am beginning ketosis. The good thing is that even if I'm going through carb withdrawls I wouldn't notice the fatigue and foggyness hahah! I lost some weight on a low calorie diet and have been at a platue for about 2 months so we'll se how this works.

Good luck everyone and remember to be proactive in your healthcare because SO many of us with Hashimoto's are undertreated!!

Grrrr! to your first doctor!! My daughter's first Endocrinologist had the nurse call her and say, "You have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Doctor wants you to come back in a year to see how things are going." What a joke! Obviously, she fired him and is now under the care of an Endo. that tests her every four weeks until she can get to a good place.

Be your own advocate for sure!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 15:49
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Hi all, I also have this I found out the hard way what happens with you stop taking your thyroid hormones! I was waking up with my arms and leggs so heavy that i could barely move, and I also was having trouble focusing my eyes and all.
To make it worse my thyroid got bigger. Why did I stop taking my meds? I lost my job and my insurance... if it wasn't for a friend who told me about walmart I don't know what I would have done.
Now I don't skip my meds and am awake!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 11:18

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Interesting reading. I wonder how many of the folks from earlier in the thread are doing now? I was just diagnosed with Hashi's last week. I hear the story about insurance too. I'm faced with losing my job, my income and my decent medical insurance sometime in the next 3-4 months. Two weeks ago I was on no prescription medications and now I'm on *three*, all long-term. Grrr, and so it goes.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 11:19

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I am doing very well and losing weight. There is hope!

What other meds are you on beside thyroid?
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 12:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I get my thyroid meds without insurance. They're only $10 for a 3 month supply at Walmart of generic synthroid. And you can keep your insurance for quite some time, it's just you have to pay for it yourself. Be sure to check into COBRA. I think right now your employer even has to pay part of it for awhile.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I was just diagnosed with Hashi's last week. Two weeks ago I was on no prescription medications and now I'm on *three*, all long-term.

Deb, I'm sorry to hear it's Hashi's, but maybe the meds will turn out to be a blessing in disguise if they deal with the thyroid and get your metabolism working well again.

What meds are you on? Also, what about the results of your *other* tests: the Free T3 and your Reverse T3, for instance. Hashi's may be the main type of Hypo problem you have, but it may not be the only one.

Did the Endo talk about your adrenals at all? Your cortisol?

Lisa
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 22:30

Plan: moving toward paleo
Stats: 150/150/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I also have Hashimoto's disease. I resently crashed when my natural thyroid became unavailable in the US. Synthetic thyroid makes me nauseous, anxious & my temp dropped to 95.3. The alternative friendly MD that helped me suggested the Paleo diet. I've known since college I'm allergic to wheat & cow dairy, but in the last few year the other grains made me swell, and hurt too, so Paleo makes sense. After checking out how autoimmune disease reacts to the Paleo diet I thought I'd give it a shot.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 07:00

Hi miracledancer

Do you have an Erfa thyroid, Thiroyd, Thiroyd-S or Naturthroid prescription now? These are all natural thyroid alternatives to Armour. Armour has been reformulated and no longer works anyhow.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 11:01

Plan: moving toward paleo
Stats: 150/150/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I'm getting by on compounded thyroid, until real thyroid gets here from Canada. I've tried two kinds of compounded. One made me crash, pretty badly, very low temp., energy and chest discomfort. The other isn't great, but at least I'm mostly above 97 degrees, but I'm still afraid to do serious cardio, as a dancer/fitness teacher that really blows. I'm guessing the difference between the two kinds of compounded thyroid is the binding ingredients. If my digestion can't break down grains and dairy, I guess it's not surprising various binding ingredients could be problematic.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 12:51

Sadly, I guess it is not. There does seem to be issues with the fillers in the compounded ones for sure. Erfa is good stuff!
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 14:47

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 138/143/130 Female 64.5 in
BF:
Progress: -63%

Hi everyone. I've been Hashimotos since early 20's and am now in my 30's. I'm taking 1/2 grain of Armour and luckily had a stash before the problem with the FDA and shortages. I'm going to an Ayurvedic doctor to see if there are any other options in case I can't get anymore dessicated thyroid for a while. T4 and cytomel didn't do me any good.
She has me on 1 Thyroid PX and 3 thytrophin pmg a day in addition to my usual thyroid med. She's hoping to lower my antibody count and possibly get me off of thyroid meds. Since I'm on a fairly low dose, it's possible. (My antibodies have always been elevated.)

HeatherK24 you will get through this. I was right about your age when all my stuff happened. Instead of a regular doctor I went to a Naturopath who actually discovered that I had Hashimoto's along with some other stuff. I went on several supplements for a time and ate much healthier. It was the best I felt since childhood.
Of course now I'm paying for eating badly again and having to go through a new course of supplements... The stress of moving to a new state can do that to you.

Anyone else heard of being able to go off thyroid meds successfully?
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 15:02

BF:

Just finished reading the rest of this thread. My symptoms before being diagnosed were extreme fatigue and depression (suicidal). I haven't had a big problem with hair loss or weight gain, though. I do continue to have cold feet and hands and dry skin.
I have flaky scalp, but found that Florastor really helps with this. When I tried a different probiotic, my itchy, flaky scalp came back with a vengence. Went back under control when I started the Florastor again.
I don't have a problem with gluten. My blood test showed no or little reaction (a 1, when you needed an 8 for a positive test). Also, when I eat gluten I don't have problems.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 15:35

Well, the gluten serum tests are not effective unless one eats a lot of gluten IMNSHO. I think the stool or saliva tests are better.

As for the armour, 1/2 grain is like 30mg. That is only a starting dose so no wonder you still have thyroid symptoms. Most symptom free people end up on doses between 3-5 grains.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 13:54

BF:

If I take 1 grain then I go slightly hyper (based on symptoms). For the most part I'm symptom free with 1/2 grain and all of the thyroid tests are within normal. Actually, I think I'm pretty sensitive to any medications, so I usually need less than the normal person. That also means that if I'm low I have bad symptoms.
I also have endometriosis and PCOS, so some of symptoms tend to overlap. They aren't always tied to my thyroid levels. That's one of the reasons for going to the Naturopath because I want to try to treat all of them at once rather than going to different doctors for all of the different diseases (OBGYN and endocrinologist). Plus it's been hard finding a doctor that my insurance covers that is willing to listen to me not wanting to go on the pill. The pill usually causes havoc.

In regards to the stool test, how does it measure gluten intolerance/allergy? Does it take intestinal flora into account? The reason I wonder is because of the effect that probiotics has on my symptoms. Could it be that some people are reacting to a microbe that eats gluten rather than the gluten itself?
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 13:56

Have you looked at your adrenals? Mopst people on doses that low have weak adrenals and cannot go higher because of this.

The stool test looks for antibodies to gluten present in the stool. It also looks at malabsorption.