Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 01:44

Plan: low carb healthy
Stats: 132/121.0/110 Female 154 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default NYC - tips and insider info for an aussie traveller?

Hey,

Well I am in love with NY (although I have only been there for a day when I was 12! the rest is just really what I know from books, tv and movies (I know, I know!)) It has always been my 'thing' to live and work in NYC.

I am finally getting there at the end of this year - unfortunately not to live but for a holiday. My plan is to spend 3-4 weeks in NYC and Christmas with my rellies in Oregon. I will be travelling alone but I'm looking forward to the adventure!

So, any tips? I am unsure whether to go to NY for a few weeks prior to Xmas (so I get to experience the shop windows, and the festivities - you american's do christmas so wonderfully) and then to Oregon, or whether to do the trip the other way around - go to Oregon first and stay for Xmas then to NY in time to spend NYE in times square. Suggestions?

I'd love to go to Nashville and Memphis too but will be travelling on a limited budget so unfortunately probably won't get to do too much.

Any ideas of how to do NYC on a budget? What should I see and do, to feel like a New Yorker? Where is decent, but cheaper accomodation? What areas should I avoid as a lone female traveller?
And what sort of prices would I expect to pay for a flight from NYC to Portland over there? I suspect it would be a bit cheaper to book that flight from there rather than from Aust, but then again maybe not.

Sorry, I know this is nothing to do with low carb, but suggestions anyway?

Thanks!!
Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 12:47
greenshamr

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I would definitely go to NYC first. The city will be buzzing with holiday festivities and you certainly don't want to miss out. It will be jam-packed with folks from all over so I hope you don't mind the hustle and bustle. Even still, it will be magical to see and if you go after Christmas, well it just won't be the same--IMHO.

I use the website tripadvisor for all of my travels--the personal reviews have always led me to the very best places to stay, eat, shop and visit.

You are going to have an awesome adventure!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 03:13
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon2
So, any tips?

i'll get the name of the youth hostel, my daughter stays in while in town..
shop at Century 21 for great bargains. (bring an empty suitcase, or pack very little)

walk through central park and go to the shakespeare castle...
see all the rare trees from around the world that were planted there in the early 1900's..

walk the different neighborhoods and check out all the art deco buildings..
Korea neighborhood is a good one, near times square.

i'll get the name of that youth hostel for you...
when me and my kids travel, we find it so much cheaper to stay in youth hostels and then pay for rental cars, to visit outside of the cities...

like San Francisco... prettiest city in the world..
you HAVE to rent a car and go north into the redwoods.

america is a beautiful country..
new.
spacious.
can see all the different terrains and seasons...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 04:44

Plan: low carb healthy
Stats: 132/121.0/110 Female 154 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm so excited!!!! Thanks so much for your advice guys.

I've done lots of research since my last post and have decided to go to New York for most of december and then to Portland for Christmas and New Year with my family. I have friends in sacramento so thought I might fly home out of San Fransisco rather than LA, see them and go to the Napa Valley. Sounds heavenly.

Thanks so much for the tip of using tripadvisor - I haven't used that site before and it is really helpful.

Re hiring a car? It hadn't really occurred to me and the 'driving on the wrong side of the road part' would be a little weird. Would be pretty cool to experience that though so I'll look into it.

America here I come!!! WOO HOO!!!