Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 06:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

He's using a silicone baking pan. Parchment paper works too and I bet in a pinch Pam spray
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 07:21

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla
So, speaking of marscapone cheese...the other night I melted 6 oz marscapone cheese with 4 T butter, added a dash of hot sauce and some salt and pepper. Put it over some broccoli and I have heaven on a plate!

Mascarpone is also great mixed with gorgonzola.
A question. Mascarpone is sold here in a 300 grams packs and spoils within 3 days. I usually can't consumed it all within three days.
Can it be frozen?
  #213   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 07:48

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

I'm not sure about freezing since I can usually eat it all pretty quickly. In addition to the cheese/butter sauce, I use it in place of sour cream and I like to add a little coconut oil, sweetener and lemon to make a cheesecake-like dessert for myself. About 2 oz usually works. 300g is around 8 oz I think.
  #214   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 07:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've got some in my freezer. Not sure how it'll turn out when I defrost it months from now, but I've had good luck freezing other cheese.
  #215   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 13:09
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! I can't recommend enough my hummus omelet. I've modified it slightly and now add 1/2 an avocado to the filling and it is just incredible tasting!

The omelet is thinned with water and a little Thai fish sauce (could use a small amount of soy sauce instead). Then you cook it so it spread out over a large pan and it's like a thick crepe. After it is cooked and on a plate, you put the hummus and sliced avocado in the middle and fold the sides over it. I've been using spring onions too.

AWESOME!
  #216   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 06:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wow! I can't recommend enough my hummus omelet. I've modified it slightly and now add 1/2 an avocado to the filling and it is just incredible tasting!

The omelet is thinned with water and a little Thai fish sauce (could use a small amount of soy sauce instead). Then you cook it so it spread out over a large pan and it's like a thick crepe. After it is cooked and on a plate, you put the hummus and sliced avocado in the middle and fold the sides over it. I've been using spring onions too.

AWESOME!

Can you show pics ?
  #217   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 15:02
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
Can you show pics ?

For you, sure!

The ingredients (and a few other things on my counter)

Cooking (Man, my stove needs cleaning!)

Assembling

Ready to devour
  #218   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 15:06

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Squid brand fish sauce, eh? What a name - I've never seen that one!

Looks yummy.
  #219   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 15:12

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Wow, Nancy, that looks great! I'm off eggs (and most everything) for now, but when I test to see if I can eat eggs, this'll be the recipe.

It's hard to come up with ideas for eggs without cheese or sour cream.
  #220   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 17:26
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Wow, Nancy, that looks great! I'm off eggs (and most everything) for now, but when I test to see if I can eat eggs, this'll be the recipe.

It's hard to come up with ideas for eggs without cheese or sour cream.

I guarantee you won't miss the cheese or sour cream once you try this!
  #221   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 19:07

Plan: LC IF
Stats: 330/265/185 Male 181
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Ready to devour[/url]

Mmmm Looks very nummers! I just made a lovely omelet with three eggs, an oz of cream mixed in, about 4.5 ozs of sliced pork belly, a few shrooms, some sliced onion, and a medium vine ripened tomato, raw, on the side. Tossed some chipolte sauce on the top....man, that was good! Debated adding a little diced potato to it, but couldn't be bothered. Will get my carbs later, lol.

So nice to be able to fit carbs in, by the way. And coupled with my jogging/weight training regime, I'm very happy with the results I am seeing!
  #222   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 02:36

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%
Default Optimal gluten-free, dairy-free scones (or rolls, or pizza crust)

I've been following Dr. K's advice and putting our extra egg whites in a plastic container in the freezer. Here's what I did with them today. I was in a bit of a hurry to get dinner on, and didn't measure the ingredients, so the quantities are approximate.

Gluten-free, Dairy-free Scones

Preheat oven to 325. With an electric mixer, beat 7 egg whites until stiff. Add:

1 cup finely ground almond flour
1.5 tbsp honey
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

and mix on low speed until just combined. With mixer running, add:

1/2 cup melted beef tallow

Then gradually add more almond flour until you reach a soft but workable consistency, somewhere between muffin batter and play-dough. I'd guess that I used around 12 oz. of almond flour in total.

Line a baking sheet with parchment and spread the batter in a big circle. (You could also use two baking sheets and spread it more thinly, to make focaccia or pizza crust. Or you could make individual hamburger-type buns.) Bake until the middle is firm to the touch and the edges are just starting to turn golden, about 10-15 minutes. Cut into wedges.

These scones held together very well, and were much lighter-tasting than the ones that I've previously made with butter. We had them for dinner, along with tuna salad and strawberries. Using the quantities I've estimated above, Fitday says that the entire batch of scones had 100 g protein, 275 g fat, 60 g net carbs. If you cut them into 12 wedges, each one would have 8 g protein, 23 g fat, 5 g net carbs.

The ratio is: 1 : 2.8 : 0.6

Not bad for eyeballing! I must be getting pretty closely attuned to this way of eating.

Nut flour breads tend to be very tolerant of adjustments, so you could use extra fat if you're planning on having these with cheese or meat. Or skip the honey if you're having them with jam.

Last edited by pangolina : Sat, May-09-09 at 02:49.
  #223   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 05:19

BF:

Quote:

Thank you my friend !
Great pics and great recipe
  #224   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 11:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

My son prepared two nice meals for me yesterday - a brunch and an early dinner. Both seemed pretty Optimal.

Breakfast:
Eggs scrambled in *lots* of butter, with bits of tomato, onion, cilantro, okra, and shredded cheese added. Side was "sweet potato fritters". Just plain sweet potatoes shredded with a cheese shredder into tiny strips, and then scooped out onto the skillet where they were fried in coconut oil, and served with sour cream.

Dinner:
A 12-oz steak that had quite a bit of fat - cooked on the griddle in lots of butter - then cut into 4 3-oz portions (one each for self, son and daughter-in-law, and 4th for my DiL to brown-bag to lunch today). This was served with mushrooms sautéed in butter. My DiL says they taste better when he sautés them in bacon grease, but they were out of it yesterday. I thought they were good as is. Side was a small serving of brown rice with lots of butter. He also made a homemade tomato soup - basically onions "sweated" in olive oil for an hour, then mixed with canned organic crushed tomato and sea salt - simmered for a while, then creamed smooth with a hand immersion blender, and served with fresh basil.

My son knew we could never eat as "Optimally" if he took me out to a restaurant, and he cooks really well. My DiL says her mother told her she "chose wisely" in picking a husband.
  #225   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 21:27

Plan: Atkins 01/11/10
Stats: 355/310/147 Female 5'-9"
BF:goin' down
Progress: 22%

Man, you guys are making me hungry. I'm gonna have to get off of here and get to bed but not before a few questions:

Pangolina, where do you get your beef tallow. I just rendered about 2 quarts of lard from some nice pig fat, but I could use some info about the beef tallow. Is one optimally better than the other or is it just a matter of taste?

I never thought I'd be able to do Optimal because I couldn't figure out how to get the fat in while keeping the protein low. This thread has been so helpful. One of the things I do is put coconut oil in my greek yogurt. The coldness of the yogurt causes the CO to form almost crunchy little nuggets and it's better than ice cream.