Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 17:21

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

I like Jimmy so don't take this as a personal stab.

He lost weight for a month by dropping artificial sweeteners.I tallied up the one months worth of food since he posted calories for everyday and it was on point with how much fat he lost....3500calories per pound.

He went back on the AS and the weight came back.I tallied up that month and he ate a LOT of extra food going over previous months by good amount.

I had posted on his board my results but he,as many LC'ers are,is totally against the calories count theory.When I said but the proof is right there in front of you he said he would never live life counting calories.

Now 60 pounds later he went on the wacked out new diet from the Eades's.Why can't any LC book say when you need to drop some pounds lean towards leaner cuts of meat.Skinless chicken thigh/drumsticks,lean steak,a few eggwhites thrown in with the whole eggs etc.IMO he just needs to eat leaner meats and stop adding all the fat calories in.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 17:24

Plan: Low Carb<30day + Exercise
Stats: 295/265/180 Female 5' 6"
BF:ToO MUch!
Progress: 26%

I apologize Seejay but I thought anyone reading this thread would have caught on that he has regained 50 pounds. You're right.

All I meant was that I found, a year or two ago, when I read about it - his initial success inspiring. I am not too versed on his situation now other than reading in there and glancing at his blog but it looks to me like a lesson for us all. This is a journey with no end. You don't magically come to a place where the work stops. Even after being a "success story" you have to keep it up.

It sounds like he got too comfortable and in my honest opinion...if he doesn't start eating clean, etc. He should probably remove himself from being in the spotlight so much as he might be steering people the wrong way and that is not good at all.

Last edited by serenity77 : Tue, Jan-19-10 at 17:30.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 17:48

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity77
Even after being a "success story" you have to keep it up.
yes ain't that the truth, and that's why I have sympathy for JM, he really is one of us in ways that people who have never been supersize, are not.

Quote:
he might be steering people the wrong way and that is not good at all.
That's my main red flag. What if the way he did it, set him up for this? Because he never did change a couple of core causes - eating like a big man and having sweets/dessert whenever he wanted. I could argue that the *way* in which he chooses to do low carb, can never get someone wired like that, all the way to goal. In which case it would be nice for people to see that connection - IF it can be made.

Others might have the opinion like JM does himself, that losing the weight the first time was successful in and of itself, and what has happened afterward was not connected.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 17:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstrike
Why can't any LC book say when you need to drop some pounds lean towards leaner cuts of meat.
You got me. Maybe some LCers simply don't believe it. Also, fear of getting anywhere near "low fat."

But a little trimming of extra fuel from fat should be a small thing in my little world. I think it is more likely to come from dropping extra butter and nuts than going to boneless skinless dreck meat tho. The Eades do caution about how easy it is to get zillions of fat calories from nuts.

Last edited by Seejay : Tue, Jan-19-10 at 18:01.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 17:55

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
yes ain't that the truth, and that's why I have sympathy for JM, he really is one of us in ways that people who have never been supersize, are not.

That's my main red flag. What if the way he did it, set him up for this? Because he never did change a couple of core causes - eating like a big man and having sweets/dessert whenever he wanted. I could argue that the *way* in which he chooses to do low carb, can never get someone wired like that, all the way to goal. In which case it would be nice for people to see that connection - IF it can be made.

Others might have the opinion like JM does himself, that losing the weight the first time was successful in and of itself, and what has happened afterward was not connected.

i didnt read the whole thread so apologies if this was touched upon- but in the PaNu interview Harris gets into the problem with 'fake' foods for a little bit. But Moore puts the kibosh on it saying that "some of us can't live without those foods." That type of mentality ( i cannot LIVE without it) may be a key as to why he can't lose all the weight.

On a nicer note, he is cute in a dorky way. I hope he does well. Stop eating all that s---, Jimmy!
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 20:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
You got me. Maybe some LCers simply don't believe it. Also, fear of getting anywhere near "low fat."

But a little trimming of extra fuel from fat should be a small thing in my little world. I think it is more likely to come from dropping extra butter and nuts than going to boneless skinless dreck meat tho. The Eades do caution about how easy it is to get zillions of fat calories from nuts.

Don't mistake boneless skinless chicken thighs as drab.I cook them in butter and some caramelized onions and they are mouth watering.I like to cook with them because you get to know how much fat your intaking as compared to full skin.With full skin I have had pans filled with grease cooked off them and at other times the pan has way less fat in it.

Some easy ways to cut calories on LC.

1-cut out daily nuts
2-cutting back on butter to cook
3-stripping off chicken skins
4-buying lean ground beef

OR you can try raising your calories by adding extra butter.This has also been known to enhance fatloss probably due to increase of metabolism.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 20:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne!
i didnt read the whole thread so apologies if this was touched upon- but in the PaNu interview Harris gets into the problem with 'fake' foods for a little bit. But Moore puts the kibosh on it saying that "some of us can't live without those foods." That type of mentality ( i cannot LIVE without it) may be a key as to why he can't lose all the weight.

Hey, I once felt that way myself! Until I learned that I *could* live without that stuff. But it didn't happen overnight. Heck, I'm still not perfect at it! But mostly I eat *real* food these days. And even if I occasionally break down and have a LC sweet treat I make it myself so I can control the ingredients and make it as "real" as possible. And I try to do it rarely, not daily.

But what I can't understand is why Jimmy seems so blind to the possibilities. I've done more and more reading of nutritional writers and bloggers, and it all led to the realization that 'real food' was where it was at. I can't believe that Jimmy has been unable to come to that conclusion himself considering all the LC and paleo and nutritional experts he has had access to via his podcasts.

To be honest the fact that he is still obese does not really bother me all that much. The man once weighed over 400 pounds. Clearly he, like most if indeed not all of us supersizers, had to have had a seriously trashed metabolism.

Back in the late 90s, when I was active on the alt.support.diet.low-carb usenet there was a fellow who was active there named Lee Rodgers, who called himself 'Dietman'. He had started out at *well over 600 pounds* and even with low carbing he "only" managed to get down to about 450, and could never get below that. Even though he knew all sorts of things about low carbing his body was just so seriously trashed. He gained back over 50 pounds just from stress and sorrow eating when his dog died. I mean it is *easy* to do.

Funny I had not thought about Lee for years, but this brought him back to my mind and I googled him, and found his website is still up:
http://www.lowcarb.org/
It was probably the granddaddy of all the lowcarb sites. From reading his personal story there I see he did eventually gain all the weight back and then some, and eventually ended up having weight loss surgery. No updates to his story since 2007 so I don't know what's up with him now. But as an example of how we all see ourselves differently, he includes a link to a photo of himself in college when he *only* weighed 325 and thought he was in pretty good shape! And yet, you know, he DOES look in pretty good shape in the photo.

As a supersizer myself I know how hard the battle is. I think I've learned so much about low carb over the years, but that still does not mean I know what it takes to make my own particular body give up its fat stores. The fact that Jimmy started at over 400 pounds, and has still managed to keep off as much as he has all these years, makes him a "success" in my eyes.

Well we'll see. I'll be seeing him on the 2010 Low Carb Cruise, so guess I will get to see with my own eyes what his weight situation is then. But these things are so relative. I mean people who meet me for the first time see a "fat lady" and have no idea that I'm down 100 pounds from what I once was and actually feel pretty good about myself. But I'm still FAT. Maybe I always will be despite my struggles. Well I'll see what the endocrinologist says in the morning about my thyroid dosage. I still have hopes for that.

Last edited by Merpig : Tue, Jan-19-10 at 20:54.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 20:47

BF:

Quote:
Don't mistake boneless skinless chicken thighs as drab.I
ha ha, I stand corrected. True - thighs good. Breast, not so much.
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 20:56

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig

Well we'll see. I'll be seeing him on the 2010 Low Carb Cruise, so guess I will get to see with my own eyes what his weight situation is then. But these things are so relative. I mean people who meet me for the first time see a "fat lady" and have no idea that I'm down 100 pounds from what I once was and actually feel pretty good about myself. But I'm still FAT. Maybe I always will be despite my struggles. Well I'll see what the endocrinologist says in the morning about my thyroid dosage. I still have hopes for that.

You have to report all the gossip from the LC cruise please. How did you learn about this anyway? And what is it? Just a cruise were low carbers eat LC food? Or is it an educational thing?

And honestly (I am known to be a little blunt so I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it) you look like you lost a hell of a lot more than 100 pounds. I don't know if the after picture is just a REALLY flattering picture or what, but you don't really look fat. I wouldn't look at that pic and think "that lady is fat." What you have done is amazing! I am still back at (almost) square one with just 15 lbs t lose. So i do have to say that ppl like Jimmy, with all his frankenfoods still seems like quite a success. I just really want him to represent us low carbers really well and stick it to those Ancel Key groupies.
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 21:14
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue

Quote:
But what I can't understand is why Jimmy seems so blind to the possibilities. I've done more and more reading of nutritional writers and bloggers, and it all led to the realization that 'real food' was where it was at. I can't believe that Jimmy has been unable to come to that conclusion himself considering all the LC and paleo and nutritional experts he has had access to via his podcasts.

To be honest the fact that he is still obese does not really bother me all that much. The man once weighed over 400 pounds. Clearly he, like most if indeed not all of us supersizers, had to have had a seriously trashed metabolism.

As a supersizer myself I know how hard the battle is. I think I've learned so much about low carb over the years, but that still does not mean I know what it takes to make my own particular body give up its fat stores. The fact that Jimmy started at over 400 pounds, and has still managed to keep off as much as he has all these years, makes him a "success" in my eyes.

Merpig,

I think these points are very well-said.

Even though I have a tough time seeing things like 'flourless chocolate cake' or 'Dreamfields pasta' - I would agree that I still see him as a success.

Agghh...I really wish Jimmy Moore would get on the 'real food' bandwagon though.

I don't think it's wise to keep feeding the sweet, and I think it would be really neat if Jimmy Moore went all 'Paleo' on us - wouldn't that be fun?

I'd totally love it if he got into 'real food' and into some decent weight training.

Can you imagine - what if you just happened upon his blog, and instead of all kinds of 'faux foods' advertised, you saw things like grass-fed meats, coconut oil, the 'good' fish oil and the like? What if Jimmy started listening to Dr. William Davis, Dr. Kurt Harris, Dr. Loren Cordain, Mark Sisson, Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades (minus any new 'diet' that includes shakes), Lyle McDonald and so on?

What if Jimmy Moore had organic coconut oil advertised, and grass-fed bison? What if he got all 'buff' and ditched artificial sweeteners entirely?

You have to admit - he could be really good at this! A kind of 'out with the old and in with the new' sort of thing.

A 'low-carb makeover' so to speak.

Can you imagine kettlebells? Grass-fed meats? Organic coconut milk? A new look? I'm trying to imagine Jimmy with longer hair, some really nice dark jeans, and a white shirt. You have to admit - he's cute!

Yes, this would be a neat thing to see!

Last edited by Citruskiss : Tue, Jan-19-10 at 21:30.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 21:43

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
You have to report all the gossip from the LC cruise please. How did you learn about this anyway? And what is it? Just a cruise were low carbers eat LC food? Or is it an educational thing?

I think I read about it on Jimmy's blog last spring sometime. I have never been on a cruise but have always idly thought it might be a fun thing to try some day, so the idea of the LC theme caught my attention. It's a combo of fun and education I think. The low carbers will only make up about 100 of the 2500 passengers on the ship, so the food will not be LC-specific, but I gather the low carbers eat together and I assume we will have plenty of LC choices. This is the third annual LC cruise and some people have been on all of them so I guess they had fun. The cruise is to two ports in the Bahamas and I guess we will have two days in those ports (Nassau and somewhere else) to do things. But they also have an amazing list of LC celebrity speakers signed up to come on the cruise and give talks and presentations! The most up-to-date list I can find includes:

DR. ERIC WESTMAN (of Duke University)
DR. WILLIAM DAVIS (of the Heartscan blog)
DR. JAMES E. CARLSON (wrote a book on LC)
JACKIE EBERSTEIN (RN who worked with Dr. Atkins - co-author 'Atkins Diabetes Revolution')
KARLY PITMAN
DANA CARPENDER (cookbook author)
MARY C. VERNON (LC doctor, co-author of 'Atkins Diabetes Revolution')
VALERIE BERKOWITZ
FRED HAHN (of the''Slow Burn' fitness method)
TOM NAUGHTON (creator of the 'Fat Head' documentary
LAURA DOLSON (LC guide for about.com)
CONNIE BENNETT
ANDREW DIMINO (proprietor of carbsmart.com site)
CAMEO WATKINS
JUDY BARNES BAKER (cookbook author and blogger)

I don't know all these names. Totally clueless about who Connie Bennett and Cameo Watkins are, for example. I made a couple quick notes about what I knew about some of the names off-hand. Too tired to google more right now. :-)

Quote:
And honestly (I am known to be a little blunt so I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it) you look like you lost a hell of a lot more than 100 pounds. I don't know if the after picture is just a REALLY flattering picture or what, but you don't really look fat. I wouldn't look at that pic and think "that lady is fat."

Why thank you. I can guarantee the photo was not photoshopped or anything, but the clothes were pretty flattering and I guess I was photographed at a flattering angle too. I can show you another picture of me in the same outfit that clearly shows the 'saddlebags' on my hips.

I *do* agree I look better than I used to. Heck, even I can see that, and aren't we always out own worst critics? But you ain't seen me nekkid either - nor would you want to!
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 22:34
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:

Merpig, this is exactly why I started this thread and makes me want to smack him. I guess he hasn't been listening to his own podcasts.

It doesn't bother me either that he is still supersized and I'd be surprised if he didn't have metabolism issues.

With that said--he was losing nicely the 2 weeks out of the four week challenge that he announced on his blog. He was eating close to induction style with out all the frankenfoods.

More than anything this shows me, that maintaining is hard and hard work. Dreamfields a couple a times a week, LC candies, LC tortillas I can attribute to me last demise--hopefully I have learned my lesson, the unfortunate thing, it seems like Jimmy has not--that is sad to me.

I make an occasional LC treat. I eat an occassional LC protein wafer candy bar. I drink diet soda.... but I can tell you, if I ate the stuff that he ate on a daily basis like he does, I would be right back where I was on May 18th.
(I re-commited May 19th--the day after my birthday--and have kept to the straight and narrow).

I hope one day Jimmy is able to look outside of himself and the light bulb will go off.

Merpig--have a blast on the cruise---I would love to meet Dr. Davis!

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 11:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Merpig,

I think these points are very well-said.

Even though I have a tough time seeing things like 'flourless chocolate cake' or 'Dreamfields pasta' - I would agree that I still see him as a success.

Agghh...I really wish Jimmy Moore would get on the 'real food' bandwagon though.

I don't think it's wise to keep feeding the sweet, and I think it would be really neat if Jimmy Moore went all 'Paleo' on us - wouldn't that be fun?

I'd totally love it if he got into 'real food' and into some decent weight training.

Can you imagine - what if you just happened upon his blog, and instead of all kinds of 'faux foods' advertised, you saw things like grass-fed meats, coconut oil, the 'good' fish oil and the like? What if Jimmy started listening to Dr. William Davis, Dr. Kurt Harris, Dr. Loren Cordain, Mark Sisson, Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades (minus any new 'diet' that includes shakes), Lyle McDonald and so on?

What if Jimmy Moore had organic coconut oil advertised, and grass-fed bison? What if he got all 'buff' and ditched artificial sweeteners entirely?

You have to admit - he could be really good at this! A kind of 'out with the old and in with the new' sort of thing.

A 'low-carb makeover' so to speak.

Can you imagine kettlebells? Grass-fed meats? Organic coconut milk? A new look? I'm trying to imagine Jimmy with longer hair, some really nice dark jeans, and a white shirt. You have to admit - he's cute!

Yes, this would be a neat thing to see!

Jimmy actually uses coconut oil(drinks tbsp straight,plus to cook) and its been advertised on his front page at certain times.He also loves grassfed beef and raw milk.The fact that he uses LC products doesn't bother me at all.If they work and allow one to stay committed for life then they are EXCELLENT.He even pricked himself many MANY times measuring his blood to see the effect of the LC products he chooses to use.The Dreamfields pasta was and eye opener to me as he got very little blood sugar rise from it.I still dont believe it but alot of tests prove its just not absorbed.
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
The fact that he uses LC products doesn't bother me at all.If they work and allow one to stay committed for life then they are EXCELLENT

They obviously DON'T work or he wouldn't look so awful. He should be dethroned as the LC King and raise up PaNu, Dr. Harris. He is good looking and in great shape, and really represents a low carb diet.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:35
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue

Yes, but....

Jimmy knows how it feels to be overweight, and he knows how to lose weight! So yes, there's some struggle in here lately, and maybe it might be a good idea to stop 'feeing the sweet', so to speak (at least not on a daily basis anyway), but he has a wealth of experience that some other "LC gurus" just don't have.

It can be *tough* to go from 0-60/mph when you're sitting at minus 40/mph. It's all well and good to say, "Eat only a perfectly Paleo diet and do all this weight training" but try that one on for size when you don't even know how to cook and just walking around the block is a major challenge.

When you're wearing a plus-size 3x and having a tough time just getting your shoes tied, never mind going to the gym - it can really seem daunting to hear "Just do this..." from someone who hasn't been in your shoes.