Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 15:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Debbie, have you had your thyroid checked into?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 15:10
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
I'm going to need help figuring out what to eat. For the past few months, I've been trying to get the calories way down, and Fitday tells me I'm eating on average
Calories 1,387
Fat 92.9g 59 %
Carbohydrate 42.4g (net 29) 11 %
Protein 111.5g 30 %

Even with the calories this low, I haven't been losing.

You'll probably need to use something like fitday or myplan to figure out how to achieve the proper macro nutrient levels.

My protein max for the day is 67g, almost half what you eat on the average. So that pretty much means no real huge sources of meat.

Today I had a salad with 2 Tbl olive oil, olives, cheese, pine nuts, rice wine vinegar. Then a snack of greek yogurt cheese with peanut butter. Breakfast was a bowl of chili which was pretty high protein, but it was the last of my chili.

Dinner... I think I'll have broccoli with cheese sauce and maybe some bacon on top if I can afford the protein.

Dessert? Well, if I get around to making lemon custard probably that, otherwise more greek yogurt cheese and peanut butter. Perhaps a few macadamia nuts.

Oh, I forgot that lemon custard is excellent on greek yogurt.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 15:41

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

All this is way over my head. I will follow all of your posts with interest and wish you well.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 15:49

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Hi all -

thought I'd mention that the protein from vegetable sources (nuts etc.) shouldn't be counted according to Kwas, due to the fact the body can't make good use of them. Whether or not veg proteins would still impact insulin I don't know as I don't have the book and only go from the old Homo Optimus forum answers.

Just be careful - you CAN go too low in protein and lose muscle. Also bear in mind that Kwas's recommendations for athletes are different - I think he recommends that protein be eaten to appetite if you are very muscular and/or work out a lot.

Unfortunately the forum to ask all these questions seems to be down, unless you speak Polish of course - there are some very active Polish Optimal Diet forums.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 15:57

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Anyway I wish you all the best. I've tried to do Kwas's ratios but nearly always end up going over on protein. I would beg to differ with the argument that you MUST be at the exact figures of protein intake, or else you will gain on high fat. That isn't necessarily so. I've seen people have a lot of success on other ketogenic principled diets like the Banta diet, which basically recommends eating 1.5 - 2 times the amount of fat for each 1g of protein + carbs combined - no calorie restriction - so that is high fat and possibly higher protein than K recommends.

Anyway it's all worth a try. I've always eaten high fat low-carbing, but again, my protein naturally falls around 80g, and is higher the lower carbs I'm eating - which I don't do anymore. Getting down to 60 grams protein is hard - but I think it should be easier if you include more carbs. I once read of a woman who didn't lose on K's program until she raised carbs to 80g along with the protein restriction. Just my opinion here but I would be careful of restricting protein if you are not going to raise the carbs - the old bod can start to tear down muscle to get at needed proteins - and then it is possible your metabolism would be worse off than to start with. Muscle burns calories.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 16:11

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Sorry this is a quick post - gotta go outside and feed the animals.

2 DUMB questions:

1) if I reduce my meat portions, then won;t I slash my calories?

2) what amt of grams of protein should I be shooting for? The percentages kinda boggle my mind.

*blinks bewilderdly*
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default O.m.g!

I go away for one afternoon and this thread E.X.P.L.O.D.E.S!

Don't know how much (if any) I'll be able to address tonight - it's been a long day - but I will definitely start responding to folks in the morning.

A few quick notes: Welcome Patrick, Amanda and Kris - good to see some friends here. And an especial Welcome to the new folks - it's always good to meet new people.

To the person who needed help figuring out how to get Calculus Victus - like the book and the website, it's not very intuitive, is it? However, here's how to get your One Month, Two Month, Three Month, To Goal numbers:

-- Open program. If you've already entered yourself, double click that line.

-- When you do, you'll see your stats: name, height, etc.

-- Look to your left. You'll see two words. At the top, Person. That's where you are now.

-- Look back to where you are. Right under the "Body Type" box, you'll see "Optimal Diet" with a drop down box next to it.

-- Click on that drop down box. You'll be able to choose "Under 1 month or never" -- or "Under 2 months" -- or "Under 3 months" or "3 months or more"

-- Select a choice. Then look to your left again. Right under the word "Person" is the word "Advice" - click on that. Voila! You'll see your stats for that choice.

-- Write those numbers down (I now keep my list on my fridge door) for that choice, then go back and choose another time period. Click 'advice' again, and write down those numbers, etc.

To Nancy:

The (non) recipe sounds wonderful, but I'm wondering if using 6 yolks (1 per serving) with more butter as well as the added cream might work. The yolks are the thickener part of the egg anyway, and I would add about 1/3 cup powdered erythritol for volume as well as sweetening, as with 'real' curd. And adding liquid sucralose too would create a lovely sweetening synergy. One problem I have with sucralose is that it tends to lose its 'sweet' taste after a few bites, but synergy stops that reaction. If this mix works, it would lower the protein per serving, and up the fat.

I went shopping today too, and struck gold. Walmart had avocados for .50 each! That's amazing for New England. And a whole bag of lemons for only $3.00 - so I grabbed it, thinking of your curd.

On the subject of Creme Fraiche: Your recipe is okay, but it's not the real thing. But making the real thing is amazingly easy - you just need the culture. And you can get a pack of 5 for only $5.95 at www.cheesemaking.com. You can use this culture for making real marscarpone and butter, too. The packs stay in the freezer forever, so I have about 15 packs in there.

Here's how you make it:

-- Pour 1 quart heavy cream into a sanitized mason jar. Put the jar in a pot of water that comes halfway up the sides. Heat the cream to 86 degrees - just warm. Pour in a packet of culture (I've found that half a packet works just fine) and stir. Remove from the heat, top the mason jar with a small sheet of cheesecloth held on by a rubber band.

-- Put the jar anywhere you like, as long as it's not near direct heat or in sunlight. Within 12 hours it will have thickened and soured. Taste it. If it's as sour as you like, great. Cover with the lid and put in the fridge, where it will continue to thicken to a thick sour-cream like consistancy. Or leave out for up to another 12-36 hours.

-- When you have about 1/2 cup left in the fridge, guess what? You can use it to culture another quart of cream! Same thing - heat cream, stir in creme fraiche, let stand 12 hours. Etc. Can't really do it a third time though - not enough acid left.

Or:

-- Make the creme fraiche. Leave for12 hours. Skim off 8 ozs to put in fridge to eat. Pour the rest into a churn (I got mine on Ebay). Churn 5-7 minutes. Voila - European Butter - the best you've ever tasted.

-- Pour off the buttermilk. Real buttermilk. Put in fridge and use in a myriad of ways. I make LC buttermilk biscuits and scones.

-- Pour in cold water and wash the butter. Pour off and repeat 5 or 6 times until the water is absolutely clear - that's getting rid of the last of the buttermilk, which if left in will 'sour' the butter.

-- Put the butter (just over a pound) on a board and 'squeeze' out the last of the water. The butter will be like silk. Add a bit of salt if you like - I use my best fleur de sel for this - mix well - put the butter in the fridge and moan every time you eat it, it's that good.

Marscarpone - lemon juice doesn't really work. If you can't get tartaric acid (NOT the same as Cream of Tartar, though C of T is made from it), you can use Citric Acid - but both should be available at any wine/beer-making supply store near you, or on the net. Both are very cheap and you only need 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp per quart of cream.

-- Pour 1 quart LIGHT cream in a mason jar. Put jar in pot of water that comes halfway up the sides. Heat on med. high to 185 - not one degree higher, so as it gets over 180, watch carefully.

-- When it hits 185, stir in 1/8 tsp tartaric or citric acid and immediately remove the jar from the heat. You should immediately see curds forming. If not, add another 1/8 tsp. acid but no more.

If preferred, you can use some of the creme fraiche culture instead, but you'd only heat the cream to 86, as for the creme fraiche. Then follow the steps below.

-- Let the jar sit out until cool - then pour into butter muslin (very tight knit) or what I use: a plastic muslin/cheesecloth from the wine making supply shop. Let all the whey drip into the sink; squeeze the bag toward the end. Pour into a yogurt cheese drainer (or just put the bag in the fridge in a colander over a bowl) and let everything drain further overnight in the fridge. You will have a pound of the most fabulous marscarpone you've ever had. Mix some into yogurt cheese to lower protein and up fat content, or just eat the stuff with fruit or whatever. Bet some topped with your lemon curd would be amazing.

That's it for now - be back later...

Lisa

Last edited by awriter : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 16:19. Reason: title caps?
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 16:30

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
OOOPS

Sorry Patrick... I had only seen ladies here so far...

Please accept my most humble and grovellingest apologies!!!

amanda

Ok apologies accepted ! How could a guy refuse basal grovelling like that from a lady ?

Patrick
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 16:30
Experimenter

BF:

Aw, cut apart my recipe before you even try it? I make that recipe all the time, although I normally use whole eggs. You're certainly welcome to change it. I rarely make it the same way twice in a row and it is very flexible.

It's more like a custard than lemon curd though. Lemon curd is kind of spreadable like you might put on a biscuit, this is more like pudding.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 16:43

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lisa, thanks for telling me how to get at the numbers for the different months!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 16:47

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Soup
Cream of chicken.

- 2 cups heavy cream
- chicken stock powder (follow instructions for 2 cups of stock)
- bits of chicken to your taste

Do not boil, just warm it to your liking, otherwise it may become too thick.

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 17:55.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 17:34
Experimenter

BF:

Patrick, brilliant! I hadn't even thought of cream based soups. Lots one can make with pureed veggies and such.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 17:40

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

just stopping by the thread to *drooooool*
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 18:17

Plan: HF/MP/LC
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:26.5
Progress: 43%

Okay, today was day 1 for me. This is my info and what I ate:

Goal:
1400-1850 cal
29-46 NC
116-159 F
58 P

Actual:
1597cal
32.7 NC
139 F
54.2 P

5 T. cream (with tea & coffee throughout the day)

4 hard boiled egg yolks

3 oz. blueberries, ½ oz. coconut. ½ oz. macadamia nuts, 4 T. marscapone

5 oz. lamb, 3 oz. peppers, 3.5 oz. tomato, 1.5 oz avocado, ½ T. vinegar

29 g chocolate bar (91%)

It was not as hard as I thought it would be to hit the numbers but I felt a little hungry with less meat. Hopefully that will lessen over time. Nancy- is that plain greek yogurt that you mix with peanut butter? I think I'm going to have to try that even though it sounds a little odd to me. I'm trying to imagine the nutty, salty and tart flavors together.

Lauren
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 19:15
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, the cheese sauce tasted great! I made 1 Cup of cheese sauce like this:

1/2 Cup of cream
4 oz of cheese (I used Dubliner)
Sprinkled in some cayenne pepper and black pepper
Chopped up 3 slices of crisp bacon and added

Heated the cream to a simmer, stirred in the cheese and bacon. Added spices. Stir until melted.

Then I steamed some broccoli in the microwave and poured cheese sauce all over it. Nummy!

Quote:
Nancy- is that plain greek yogurt that you mix with peanut butter?

Yes, although I often put a little sweetener in too. Like some splenda or Da Vinci SF syrup.
At Trader Joe's they have this stuff called Mediterranean Yogurt Cheese that is like greek yogurt only much higher in fat. It's awesome.

Ok, I'm planning on having some more yogurt/peanut butter yumness tonight and my ending macros should be:

1878 Calories
154g Fat
41g Net carbs
67g Protein

Wow! I ate a lot more calories than I thought I could.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 19:22.
Closed Thread