Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 23:42

Plan: VSG Post Op/ Low Carb
Stats: 521/235.4/230 Male 5ft 10"
BF:dropping
Progress: 98%
Default 1 Taco will fill you up, Guaranteed!!!!!

I got the Taco Shell Recipe from Irisda,
It is the best!
Tonight was Tacos and Nachos night, Total was about ohhh 6 grams of carbs
I thought you might want to see those tacos, and how they came out
Ok this thing was a total of 4 carbs, and it was big as the plate in diameter.

hehehehehehhe
here you go
I made it to be huggggggggeeeeeee, It was big as the plate!

What am I going to do with both of these

These were not dressed up as I normally do, because I am doing re-induction right now, but other than that they were still the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

JT
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 00:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/156/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 74%

But.....but.....you forgot to post the recipe for the taco shells! Your tacos look WONDERFUL!

Karen in Montana
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 10:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

My thoughts exaclty, lol. I have been waiting for a reply from her for the recipe.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 11:13

Plan: VSG Post Op/ Low Carb
Stats: 521/235.4/230 Male 5ft 10"
BF:dropping
Progress: 98%
Default The Recipe

Ok, This Recipe came from the sweetest ladeeee yall, and even though she says mine look good, you have to be a braniac to come up with this one, and She did, so make Doubly Doubly Doubly Sure that you send Irisda a big ol Shout out for her Quick on the Draw Low Carb Out of the Box thinking for these Taco Shells. All I did was follow her instructions and take a picture.
Thankkkkkkkk Youuuuuuuuuu Irisda!
JT

The thing that makes this a great recipe is that it is not a net carb type deal. You only have to count the total carbs. The shells are made from nuthing but cheese. That is it, So if you find some shredded cheese that has no carbs, then guess what, you can endulge until your heart is content. heheehhe.
In my case The cheese I bought had 1 carb per serving, and there were 8 in the bag, i used half a bag to make one. so it was 4 carbs per taco because some of that i used to top the ground beef. as well.

Now for the method I dont do good on recipes I just kinda wing it usually and babysit it till it is finished) Irisda has exact numbers and such to make a particular size/portion ok. But I think that you should be fine doing it this way too)
I sprayed some butter pam on a plate. Then I filled that plate with shredded cheese, enough to where there were no gaps at all so that i wouldnt have holes in my taco shell. Once you have a nice big area covered Stick it in the microwave, i put mine on about 3minutes and 30 secs because my microwave is about 7 yrs old and i know its not as powerful as most. when i pulled it out it was still pretty gooey, butwhat you do is you use a spatula to cool it off by fanning it, if after fanning it, it still is kinda gooey, stick it back in the microwave(you probly have a microwave like mine heheheh). Ok Now, after you stick it back in there watch it, it should start to brown because it is over cooking, that is the idea,
Note:
If you have ever put cheese in something before and you forgot it, and it got to hard for you, that is actually your goal on this!

When you pull it out and start to fan it, you will be able to tell that it is getting ready to turn hard because it will.

Spray some pam on your spatula and use that to pick up your taco shell then bend it into the taco shape, you have to be kinda quick on it so that it wont get to hard to quick. you also have to let it cool down enough so that it doesnt burn your hand too. its a judgement call basically. after you have done that put your shell on another plate while it is cooling, it will continue to cool and also harden up more. i put my spatula on top of it to keep the taco shell shape that way it didnt open up on me.

I had already prepared some ground beef to fill it with,
Ok get ready for this, Taco Sauce has no carbs and no sugar either,
The taco bell namebrand doesnt as far as i know, but check again and make sure its the same for you in your area store.

I filled my shell with the leftover shredded cheese, Taco Sauce, a couple of jalapenos, some romaine lettuce strips,
And I had the best new creation
Orange Cream Soda!
Yall have got to try that it is running neck and neck with my Root beer Float!
Oh yea i called myself making nachos and tacos,
but after the tacos I was so full i couldnt do any damage to the nachos,
but i did take a pic of those too.
JT

Enjoy!
And I want to know how these affect each and everyone of yur lives
hehehehhe.
It makes me want them again tonightttt.
Thanks Irisda
You are the bommmbbbb
literally!
JT
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 11:30

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

OMG!! THat looks sooooooo good!! I'm making it on the week-end!!!

YUM!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 12:05

Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

I got creative while waiting on a reply and guess what I did. In the back of my head I thought that has to be cheese. I have a pancake maker so I got it out sprayed it with pam and piled in the cheese, cooked it flopped it over cooked it somemore and there you go, I had it. It was good except Ididnt make mine a taco, I put pizza sauce and ham on it. I am going to try doing it in the microwave now when I get more cheese. Mine didnt get hard enough to be a taco on the pancake maker.
Thanks for the recipe.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 12:54

Stats: 187/156/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I had no idea you had used cheese! I've made the cheese "chips" using this method and also by baking them in the oven, but hadn't tried the taco shells. Thank you mcadeowner and Irisda! The next time I make tacos, I will set aside my La Tortilla tortillas (which I fry in oil) and try one of these. :0).

Karen, MT
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 14:24

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Those tacos look incredible. I'm definitely going to try this one
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 23:15

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

mcadeowner, the tacos look amazing! Ive done the cheese thing in the microwave, but I dont think I could get mine to look as purty as yours LOL.. But.. Ill have to give them a try!

Thank you Mcadeowner and Irisda!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 16:06

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

The tacos look wonderful and I bet taste even better! I am sure they are low in carbs but I want to remind you all about hidden carbs and inaccurate carb counts. First, remember that even if the package says 0 carbs per seving that doesn't mean there are 0 carbs. It could mean that there are less than 1 carb (even .5 carbs adds up) . I don't believe there is such a thing as 0 carb cheese. You have to count it as 1 carb per ounce. The taco sauce is probably the same thing. Maybe less than one carb per serving (1-2 TBS but when you start using cups full, the carbs add up. (Like Splenda that says 0 carbs but is 24 carbs per cup!!) When using larger quantities of items I alway check FitDay for a closer estimate of the actual count. You can really throw off your carb count if you don't.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 18:11

Stats: 275/261/200 Male 5-8.5
BF:
Progress: 19%

Great recipe. It really opens the door for other ideas. Like simple sandwiches. Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:44

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

I made these on Saturday and they were delicious!

Thank you TJ!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 20:35

Plan: Atkins+Black Coffee
Stats: 251/250/190 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 2%

WOW WOW WOW What a great post!THANKS for the recipe and the Pictures! That was the tell all gosh it looks wonderful! Guess what I'm having tomorrow? hehehehehe!
Thanks "mcadeowner" for sharing!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 20:41

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 190/185/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

I'm new to the Atkins way of life....Please send me a detailed way to make taco shells and the nachos? Please!!! They look delicious!!!!! terri~bigsky.net

Last edited by Terri H : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 20:43.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 20:43

Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

I've done this before - the microwave seems to work better than the oven, and using a ceramic plate works best for me.

I just made chips with shredded colby/monterey jack and I think they had the right consistency for this.