Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 03:36

Plan: lutz diet
Stats: 121/119/110 Female 158 cm
BF:
Progress:

i personnally dont know what to think of a 0 grain diet. Some people feel really good and some are so sure that this is the all-cure diet and at the same time others have had issues with cholesterol and kidney stones etc.. I'm not sure eating meat all day is right, I have been thinking about this for so long and just dunno, I just think that we're all different and while it benefits some people, it just doesnt benefit others. not sure it suits everyone really. but I reduce my grain intake anyway which is a good thing, for ex I just ate eggs this morning, no bread or carbs with it. but for lunch, I'll have some carbs, I just try to eat it less.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 05:14
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your responses and feedback.
I should have said I was on a mod-low carb diet. Up till yesterday I was eating about 90 carbs a day, but felt I needed to cut down even more to get better control of the hypoglycaemia. A paper on the subject suggests 50g carbs per day for hypoglycaemia.

So the last few days my breakfasts were 0 grains, last night my dinner was 0 grains which was a bit scary! I felt I was going to wake early hungry, but I had the best night sleep for a long time! Which is good evidence for me as the hypoglycaemia normally disrupts my sleep. I'd like to see if this is consistent that I sleep well on 0 carbs at dinner.

Lee, the last couple of days my ratio of fatsrotein:carbs has been about 35:40:25, and calories averaging 2100. I don't want to lose any weight and it would be good to put a little on. I'll work on increasing the fat. One thing is that I currently have low fat cheese in my fridge, so as soon as that is used up I'll get non-low fat cheese in future.
I'm so pleased that you have virtually eliminated your fibro fatigue, that's wonderful news.

I'm still suffering with greater than normal fatigue and low energy in my muscles after 1 week. Any idea how long this takes to return to normal?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 06:51
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I wouldn't say I've completely eliminated the fibro fatigue, but its much improved. I used to feel like gravity had changed and become stronger. Everything was a huge effort, just lifting up my arm. I'm still restricted in what I can do, and I'm not bouncing around with energy, but anything is better than the bone-numbing fatigue I had. It isn't a miracle cure, but it helps - and I'll take anything that helps. I saw an improvement after a few weeks.

And Lili, eating 0 grains does not equal eating meat all day. There's eggs, veg, dairy, (if you tolerate it - I don't) fruit, nuts fish.

Lee
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 17:01

Plan: So far Atkins
Stats: 172/168/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:

Hi I just wanted to chime in on this discussion since it's already started I didn't want to start another thread on the same subject.
But I have fibro and I have been on Atkins for almost two weeks. I have had a lot more pain lately and I was wondering myself if the diet could be effecting me. I'm hoping it would help me feel better as other people have said and maybe this is a kind of withdrawal..On the other hand the weather is really bad so maybe it's just that that's causing extra pain.
But is it normal for a fibro person to experience more pain after starting the diet and then it gets better after some time?
I also have hypoglycemia so I feel a lot better in that regard but I would hate to have to choose between pain or blood sugar issues..hopefully it's the weather.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 18:40
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I can't speak for anyone else but in the first few weeks while adapting to the diet, I felt pretty bad, but started improving 2-3 weeks in. Its small improvements over time, but when I look back and remember how I was, there is quite a difference. I'm back on plan after a few weeks off and I have more pain in the first few weeks, but compared to how I felt pre 0 grain LC, its far less.

Lee
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 18:47
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have Fibro, and IMO, you are not eating enough fat. A low-carb diet is a high-fat diet. Coconut oil is a wonderful fat full of stellar nutrients for people with Fibro. I think that you might feel better if you up your fat.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-11, 13:48

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can attest to what Water Lily said. I felt a tad listless and not quite right, until I got my saturated fat intake high enough.

Beef fat, pastured butter, cream and coconut oil are in my daily food plan.

I also had to find the best level of Carb intake for each meal.

All the best to you.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 22:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/175/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:

When you lowered carbs did you increase you healthy fat intake? I got the same way but once I increased my fat intake and settled at about 50 grams of carbs a day I felt fine. Roughly for every gram of protein, I eat 2 grams of fat and 0.5 grams of carbs. I don't follow this strictly or it I would go insane but as a general guideline.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 06:34

Plan: protein power
Stats: 145/135/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suee
Hey Lili,

Oh yeah, I will check the date of posts in the future

Glad to hear that you have some answers at least about what's going on with the CFS and things that are wrong. I really hope it all gets resolved and you and I are back to full health soon. CFS sucks.

I've got hypoglycaemia which I think has been draining my body and making the CFS much worse, so I really think this diet is right, I've had much less low blood sugar than before the diet already, so good signs. If I can get through the induction flu!

Best wishes to you too x

Hi Suee

I realise your post was quite an old one but I wanted to say that I have had ME/CFS since 2000 and for sure I can see how I consistently got sicker and sicker since 1979 when I first had 2 weeks of flu which seemed to change everything for me in a negative way because I kept eating a high carb diet (I was addicted).

I have ended up with no adrenal function so have to take low dose steroids daily and also I have Autoimmune Thyroid disease and take a selection of thyroid meds too. If only I could have eaten low carb seriously before now I am sure I wouldn't have go so bad.

Since Sunday this week I have cut out grains for snacks and I am only eating 1 Ryvita at breakfast with lots of protein and fats and 1/2 Ryvita again with good protein and fats 10 pm.

My blood sugar now is a bit on the high side, around 6.5 in the mornings but the fasting one is fine around 4.9. The last few days I have managed to get my blood sugar to around 5.7 in the afternoons but there is still a tendancy for me to have too high readings. I am definitely pre-diabetic so have to take this seriously.

I will read on and hope you have felt bettter. I definitely notice much better energy but it still runs out badly if I do anything like go shopping.

Pam
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 05:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'd just like to encourage people to experiment with carb levels rather than give up too quickly if they find that induction level carbs don't agree with them. Dr. Atkins in his book says you shouldn't suffer and if you experience bad symptoms, then raise the carbs a bit. I think this has to be particularly relevant to anyone experiencing a full-blown chronic illness, because any strain on the body will be more acutely experienced. I recommend Dr. Atkins' book to anyone who is trying a low-carb diet. It is full of wisdom and the experience borne of years of running a successful weight-loss clinic.

I've never experienced "induction flu", possibly because I have never been a great consumer of refined carbohydrates.. However, I have noticed that my carb needs can fluctuate. Although I normally feel far better on ultra-strict Atkins induction level carbs, I have hit at least one period when physically I experienced symptoms like those described by the original poster.. Glued to the bed, leaden bodied, practically passing out if I tried to do anything. Generally increasing my carbs by measures like adding about 2 tablespoonfuls of pulses daily to my diet completely "did the trick", and acted like medicine for that period. After several months, I was able to go back to induction level carbs. I still cannot account for it, other than perhaps as my weight had gone down, my carb needs increased, possibly because I got cold more easily without the extra layer of fat, and for some reason, my body didn't feel inclined to burn any more fat.

Some people do have higher carb needs than others, and I personally have always had to experiment to see which ratio of fat, protein and carb suits me best at that particular time.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Mar-31-12 at 05:56.