Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 21:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/204/135 Female 5foot2inches
BF:? high
Progress:
Default anyone tried Soy Curls? They're grrrreat!!

I just found a great product, Soy Curls!! They are cooked, mashed, extruded and dehydrated soy beans, nothing else. You soak them for 10 min. drain, and then use in your recipe. You can find out about ordering and probably carb info at http://www.butlerfoods.com I sauteed them with onions and bell peppers (fajita style)and put into lc tortillas, added whatever goodies I wanted and...YUM. I also made "chicken salad" with them, adding pickles, mayo s&p, and seasonings. I served it on a bed of lettuce, great on a hot day, even better the next day.
My other favorite veg lc meal is a tofu stir-fry. You MUST use firm-xfirm tofu, and then weight it down for 30 min. (gets more moisture out) befor you cut into cubes. Then sautee in olive oil till browned, set aside, stir-fry favorite veggies then add the tofu. If you add sauces, WAATCH THE CARBS...the sweet sauces have a lot.
Linda D. in CA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 10:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about. Those soy curls are called "So Soya" here in Canada. You can buy it boxed, usually in the produce department at the grocery store, but it's way cheaper if you buy it in bulk at a store like Bulk Barn.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 21:55

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Thanks for telling me about soy curls. Is this something like TVP (textured vegetable protein) or chicken or beef chunks?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 01:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Tofu is something I'm hopeless at... it always ends up soggy and utterly unappealing (as opposed to chewy and slightly crispy like it is in the restaurants!)... is that what I'm doing wrong? Does it just need more thorough draining before I cook it or are there other techniques I'm missing out on here?!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 06:44

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Thourough draining or squeezing helps. Also be sure to buy extra firm tofu. I use it as marinated tofu and its great but not crisp as in the restaurants. I can't do that either. I did read somewhere in one of these forums how some one had found the secret to it. It looked like a lot of trouble, but might be worth it if I could master it. Good Luck. But I think these curls are dry and an entirely different consistency, that you rehydrate.

Last edited by mem2 : Tue, Aug-26-03 at 06:48.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Pesco vegetarian/lowcarb
Stats: 180/175/127 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdias42
I just found a great product, Soy Curls!! They are cooked, mashed, extruded and dehydrated soy beans, nothing else. You soak them for 10 min. drain, and then use in your recipe. You can find out about ordering and probably carb info at http://www.butlerfoods.com I sauteed them with onions and bell peppers (fajita style)and put into lc tortillas, added whatever goodies I wanted and...YUM. I also made "chicken salad" with them, adding pickles, mayo s&p, and seasonings. I served it on a bed of lettuce, great on a hot day, even better the next day.
My other favorite veg lc meal is a tofu stir-fry. You MUST use firm-xfirm tofu, and then weight it down for 30 min. (gets more moisture out) befor you cut into cubes. Then sautee in olive oil till browned, set aside, stir-fry favorite veggies then add the tofu. If you add sauces, WAATCH THE CARBS...the sweet sauces have a lot.
Linda D. in CA

Are they in grocery stores or health food stores? I Love Soy Nuts