Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:44

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Starve mode question

Hi all!

If it's true that the body goes into starvation mode with too few calories and clings to the flab, why is it that the Fat Fast should work? Don't you stay at about 1000 calories for up to 5 days?

I guess 1000 calories can be considered starvation ... ?

Thank you
C.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default "Starvation Mode"

Starvation mode wont happen overnight, Chocolate. It takes weeks (like many weeks) of consistently eating too little to get there. However, after a few weeks of too little food things start to happen; your body stops burning fat, it holds onto water, it hold onto the fat, in preparation for the impending famine it thinks is around the corner. Muscle is burned in the place of fat when there is insufficient protein consumed, muscle is easier to break down than fat.

The Fat Fast should not be done for more than 5 days - I frankly don't know how anyone can do it for more than one. Yes, it's 1000 calories and it's mostly fat, and if you did it consisently for a long period of time you'd end up in 'stavation mode'-land. The Fat Fast is metabolic starvation at it's finest - with mostly just fat coming in and having calories limited to 1000 you force your body to turn to fat stores for energy. You also tend to ingest very little sodium during a fat fast (little food, little sodium) and this helps to flush out your fat cells.

Since the Fat Fast is designed for the metabolically resistant - and to break a stall, it's something you tend to use after you've been LCing for a while. When you do the Fat Fast most of what you lose is water (the water your body has been holding onto to keep it's fat cells plumped up - you alreayd lost the fat). Generally, of the weight you lose Fat Fasting, some comes back. But the goal is acheived - ketosis and flushed out fat cells.

A few days of Fat Fasting won't put you into starvation mode - just like a few lower calorie days wont to it. The key, just like the key to fat loss, is consistency.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 02:16

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile Thanks Nat!

Actually I was just curious, and have no intention of doing the fat fast. I don't need it and I think that psychologically it would be too stressing.

I was under the impression that the body went into Starve Mode much quicker than that, after very few days, so your answer has been very useful, because I was really afraid to occasionally lower my calories (for example on couch potato days) ... so now i guess it's okay ...

Bye
C.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 06:30

BF:
Default Re: Thanks Nat!

Quote:
Originally posted by chocolate
I was under the impression that the body went into Starve Mode much quicker than that, after very few days, so your answer has been very useful, because I was really afraid to occasionally lower my calories (for example on couch potato days) ... so now i guess it's okay ...

Chocolate, while stavation mode is to be avoided at all costs, what happens after only a few weeks of consistently lowered calories is also something you'd want to avoid at all costs. But the odd day of lowered calories isn't going to do it for you

The detailed reply was just me covering all bases - you did ask the question, but you'd be surprized at just how many other people read the answers

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 23:07

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

If you only lose water, whats the point? lol I could do that on ANY diet within a couple of days by drinking 2 gallons a day..

I think I'll stick to the 48hr hollywood celeb diet when I need to lose waterweight.. lol Hey it werks for me
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 23:09

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Re: Thanks Nat!

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka

you did ask the question, but you'd be surprized at just how many other people read the answers

Nat

LOL Hey thanks Nat lol
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by SlimShAdY
If you only lose water, whats the point? lol I could do that on ANY diet within a couple of days by drinking 2 gallons a day..

Slim, the point of the FF is to kick start ketosis. The water loss is secondary - and it is usually water loss that should have been 'lost' already (as in water in fat cells replacing fat that was lost). Fat Fasts are designed for the metabolically resistant - kind of a last resort.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

One other thing about severely restricted calories and your basal metabolic rate changing. If you have severely restricted in the past and begin again your body may switch to famine mode much quicker. It's like learning something. The first time it takes a bit to grasp but the second time you see it you have the schema developed.
Jo