Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-10, 18:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Atkins Induction + heavy lifting?

I started Induction yesterday, well halfway through yesterday - I was at the grocery store feeling gross and frustrated with my inability to lose and decided on the spot that I was going to take it in hand and start Induction, no waiting. So I guess at this point it has been 24 hours off sugar and starch.

I have been walking 45 min + basic weights 3x week plus roller derby for 1.5 hours 3-4x/week. Today I started training for heavy lifting - each movement is 2-3 sets of 8 (or failure) which will probably replace the basic weight routine 3x per week. When I woke up this morning I was feeling kind of blah but I forced myself to eat a chicken thigh and a few baby carrots 45 minutes before workout so I wouldn't go into it empty. I trained for 20 minutes and by the end I was about to drop the weight on my head. I wanted to throw up and maybe faint. I am figuring I had just burned through the sugars left in my body. I got home and had 2 eggs, bacon and coffee with cream and splenda. Right now I am feeling a lot better - actually clearer and more energetic than I have in a while.

So I would like to know if Atkins Induction would work with my exercise schedule. My trainer would like me to eat some carbs before training - oatmeal with some berries or rice. We haven't really discussed nutrition but before I talk with him I would like to make sure I have a firm grasp and good information on the level of carbs I should be consuming with my activity level. I was concerned about "Atkins" being a hot-word and after that workout was in no mood to argue nutrition so I simply said "I am cutting all sugar and focusing on natural proteins, fats and getting my carbs from vegetables and greens". He likes that but would like me to get some carbs before workouts.

Has anyone done strict Induction w/ heavy training?

Or is it better to consume some carbs (as oatmeal + berries) only before weights then maintain regular Induction eating and do 20g on off days? What do you think of coconut water as a pre-workout carb source instead? In the case of carbs pre-workout should it also be consumed with lean protein or just have the carbs alone and eat protein and fat after the workout? How many grams of carbs would be appropriate for 30 minutes of heavy lifting? And how long prior to lifting should carbs be eaten so I burn it and not store it?

A lot of questions and your guidance would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Alane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 11:37

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 342/270/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I did an extended induction period of Atkins when I first started, but I gave my body time to adapt to the diet changes before doing hardcore workouts.
On one side of things, it sounds like you are way more active than I was at the time.
On the other side, you may need to get past the “induction flu” before going back hardcore.
I now do heavy lifting 5 days a week on a fairly low carb plan and have more than enough energy to make it through the workout and beyond

I tend to spread my carbs out across the day and use fat as my fuel source. If you want a few carbs before working out, you might try some berries.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 13:45

Plan: Atkins + Vegetarian
Stats: 167/154.6/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Alane,

I do derby too! I was pretty worried about working out without carbs, but it's been fine.

1) I didn't do any heavy workouts during my first 3 weeks of induction. I wanted to give myself the time to adjust.

2) I eat a good size (250-350 cals) snack about 45 minutes prior to my heavy workouts. I've found that some salted nuts and a good chunk of cheese work well. (Fats, rather than carbs). I'm also careful to hydrate all day.

I've not had any problems, even on the day when I did two hours of derby and an hour of swimming right in a row.

So part of it might be adjusting, part might be finding the right pre-exercise snack, and part of it is going to be figuring out what works for your body.

Is it possible you need carbs before you work out? Possibly. But it's certainly not holy writ.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 17:45

BF:

Thanks Dave and Smurfy (right on derby sister! )

Yeah, if I hadn't already committed to the schedule I would probably have waited to start the lifting until after induction.

Well so far, so good. I skated for 1.5 hours last night and felt fine sticking to 20g carbs.

I couldn't bring myself to break induction with oatmeal for this morning's weight session and opted for a pumpkin mock danish (1 egg + cream cheese + canned pumpkin + bit of flaxmeal all microwaved to a custard consistency) for my pre-workout meal. I was not feeling very well when I woke up thanks to TOM but after we finished the warm-up walk I was fine for a moderate-intense all over weight work-out (TOM makes me feeble). Friday will be another training session but I'm feeling like I will be fine on 20g.

So far no more induction flu symptoms - later on Monday I got a nasty headache and felt kind of crappy for a few hours.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 09:18

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 133/128/127 Female 175 cm
BF:23
Progress: 83%

I've got the same problem. I started Atkins Induction yesterday, ate 20 g net carbs...and this morning I went to the gym to burn my 500 kcal at the trademill and some weight lifting... I felt really tired after the exercise.

My breakfast was 2 scrambled eggs with half a cup of leek and 20 g of pork sausage. 15 minutes before exercise I ate a square (7g) of 85% cocoa dark chocolate, wich has 2 net carbs.

Is there any problem to do that on Induction?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 17:24

BF:

I think I have induction flu this morning - feeling just 'bleh' and wanting sweet. I had crystal light and didn't work out today, figured it was my body asking for a break, but I will continue to stick to induction and see how Sunday's workout goes.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-10, 13:37

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 342/270/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Each person is different, but I had to get my body adapted to the change before I started having good workouts again.
After doing this for awhile, I have more endurance and better results on low carb. I also get a little more energy boost adding in coconut oil in my diet.
I'd just say to give it sometime for your body to adjust. Even if you go easy on workouts for a couple of weeks, I think you'll be better off in the long run. JMO