Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 11:30

Plan: atkin
Stats: 123.5/119/113-114
BF:
Progress:
Question WEIGHT TRAINING (every day?)

I am exercising every day, i do stair climbing for 15 minutes and traidmill for 30 minutes, then i do weight training for 1/2 hour with free weight.

I did read somewhere that you should do weight training every other day why?

thank you for the answer

Mariflo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 12:25

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi there!
Welcome to the board.
It all depends on what body part you are lifting. You shouldn't lift the same body part two days in a row. Your muscles need time to rest. I know people who lift Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri and take a day off in between.

When you say every day, do you mean Sunday-Saturday? I wouldn't lift 7 times a week. Your muscles will thank you for the recovery time!

Linda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 12:35

BF:
Progress:
Smile

thank you so much for that fast answer Linda, I was just wondering if this is bad for my body to do that every day, I would like to see fast results that's wy.

Thank you again

Mariflo
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 12:38

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Mariflo-
You're welcome!!
I lift three days a week and I get GREAT results. Sometimes, more is not always better...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 21:44

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Question

So is it ok to weight train every day (M-F that is) if we don't do a muscle group twice in a row? I like to do upper body one day and lower body the next day, and switch on and off. Unfortunatly weight training is kind of boring for me, and doing smaller sessions more often allows me to spend less time doing it. I like the benifits, but I've tried to do major lifting sessions and I tend to drift after 20 minutes......

Also, I have been doing my weights first and then a cardio session (30-40 minutes), as I read somewhere that doing weights first allows you to use more of your energy for building muscle and also that it causes your body to burn more fat during the cardio session. Is this bogus? It makes sense that doing cardio first would drain your energy that you need to properly tire your muscles during strength training.

Any info would be great
Thanks, Gracie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 12:47

Plan: CKD
Stats: 22530/17216/20010
BF:
Progress: 153%
Default lifting weights everyday

I really enjoy lifing 7 days a week!

I split it up like this:

Mon: Chest (bench press also works triceps, shoulders and traps)
Tues: Back (most back exercises use the biceps)
Wed: Shoulders (shoulder press hits the triceps also get some trap work)
Thurs: Legs/Lower Back
Fri: Biceps (You've allready had some bicep work on Tues so you can go easy)
Sat: Triceps (You can also go easy on triceps, just enough to get a pump)
Sun: Traps or day off (I like big traps so I do them by themselves)

I add calves and abs every other day (Mon: Calves, Tues: Abs and so on)

I've found that this is the best way to keep from overtraining and the only way to hit each muscle's angles with many different exercises. Also, I'm done lifting in less than an hour every day. Most of my cardio comes from teaching Kung Fu but if I do some at the Gym, I'll do it right after my lifting for about 30 mins.

That's the way I do it but here is another:
day 1: chest
day 2: back
day 3: shoulders
day 4: biceps
day 5: triceps
day 6: quads
day 7: hams & calves

It's very easy to adapt and easier if you keep a log and don't worry about which day falls on what exercise- meaning if you miss a day just keep going and then your exercises will always be on different days, helps keep from getting bored.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 18:27

BF:
Progress:
Default thank you Vivial

This is verry helpfull
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 15:55

BF:
Default no problem

If you workout on a 6 or 7 day split people will think you're crazy and they'll always say that you are overtraining....

Just know the signs of overtraining and see how your body is responding, take it pretty easy on the smaller muscle groups such as arms and delts, and you want the day off don't sweat it. You'll hit it again next week, day's off are great and can feel like a great reward sometimes (like the day after a hard workout)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 16:15

BF:
Default Gracie-poo

I know a lot of people who workout mon-fri, there are many ways to do it...

day 1: Chest, Triceps
day 2: Back, Biceps
day 3: Shoulders, Traps
day 4: Legs, Lower Back
day 5: Upper Body
day 6: rest
day 7: rest

day 1: Chest
day 2: Back
day 3: Shoulders, Traps
day 4: Legs, Lower Back
day 5: Arms

day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
day 3: Legs, Lower Back
day 4: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
day 5: Back, Biceps

day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
day 3: Legs, Lower Back
day 4: rest
day 5: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
day 6: Back, Biceps

There are many ways to do it, I personally prefer to work one major muscle group a day so that I can concentrate on my Kung Fu training, instead of lifting iron all day.

Your cardio sounds good if you want any more detail, ask Trainerdan or Fern. They really seem to know what's going on. They might be able to give you better training split ideas.

Remember that everyone can try to be an expert on here so just pick and choose from what everyone tells you and then decide what works best for you, because we're all different.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 22:06

Talking

Thanks Vyvial!

I really do need to work on getting the muscles at "different angles" as you say. I tend to repeat the same exercises at the same weight, which, of course doesn't do anything! I also tend to ignore certain muscles groups that I don't think of as "problematic"--I think women especially tend to do this (well, I'm basing this on my girlfriends... ) i.e. I spend a lot of time on my abs, inner thighs and back and only half-heartedly everywhere else. I know, I know, spot-reducing doesn't work but I can't get that out of my mind.

I have a question though: my quads are monstrously rocked and I don't like it much. I like that they are firm and trim, but they are a wee bit large. They are like that naturally, and just regular movement makes them that way. I don't do specific weights for them....is that a mistake, do you think? Or will they just get bigger if I work them? Ak!
Thanks
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 07:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

graciepoo, it's pretty hard for women to bulk up naturally. Like you, I have rather large and well defined quads from years of running, cycling, skiiing and now weight lifting. I think not working them might be doing yourself a disservice, they are one of the largest muscles in the body - working them is a sure way to burn fat. I've been lifting rather heavy for over 6 months and all it has done is make them leaner and stronger (they haven't gotten any larger) - and now instead of being toned and attractive halfway up my leg, they go all the way up (which is of course, more a function of bf% than anything).

What you might want to do is alternate just how you work your muscles- lifting heavy and to failure will promote a certain type of muscle growth (fast twitch); working with lighter weights and more reps will promote a different type of growth (slow twitch) The two methods together will give you optimal growth and strength.

And while spot reducing doesnt work (drat!) when you do lose the body fat what will be evident is all the hard work you've done in the form of some pretty impressive muscle.

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 20:42

Smile

Thanks Nat, it's so good to hear it from another muscular woman. I know you are very hardcore about your workouts, and if your quads are still lookin' trim and hot, then mine will too!