Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: Anything Low Carb
Stats: 250/175/170
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Bowflex - question for exercise guru's

To Trainerdan - or anyone else who knows. I have a chance to purchase a bowflex exercise machine from an aquitance, and wondering what your opinion on it is. I have tried it, and am quite happy with it. My problem is that I train alone at home, and I cannot train as hard on certain exercises for fear of getting stuck (nobody to spot for me)

Any ideas on this please let me know.

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 20:52

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 285/212/160
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Bowflex

Hi, I have a Bowflex and I train at home alone too. I have never had any problem. I don't think a spotter would be necessary with a Bowflex as there is nothing to fall on you. I think you would be fine. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 04:33

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default go for it

Bowflex is a good machine from what I understand. I have never used one, but many of my personal trainer buddies have their clients use them when they are not working at the gym.

I don't think you would need a spotter w/ bowflex, but if you are doing any bar-type pressing exercise (bench, military, etc.) and you are workimg alone, just stop when your feel it start to get tough.

I know I can tell/feel when I may not be able to complete the next repetition, so I just stop. It isn't as effetive as working with a spotter, but it beats being stuck under a bar or injuring your shoulder by not being able to control the weight.

Being able to workout at home is a big plus ... no having to wait for for people to get off of machines, etc.

The downside is, motivation will have to be key for you. So many people have their treadmills/bikes/Bowflex turn into just another piece of furniture in the house.

I say go for the Bowflex and let us know how it goes.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 05:05
Registered Member

Plan: Anything Low Carb
Stats: 250/175/170
BF:
Progress: 94%

Thanks Trainerdan - I think I will purchase it
Like I was saying, I am training at home, and with the free weights and working alone, I feel I am not pushing myself enough for fear of being stuck. The bowflex should hopefully help me push myself harder

PS: You and Fern keep those tips coming - I know I really appreciate them, as I am sure others do as well
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 11:57

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Genesis

PS: You and Fern keep those tips coming - I know I really appreciate them, as I am sure others do as well [/B]

I am glad you find them useful Genesis!!! Let us know how the bowflex works out for you!

Fern