Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 13:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default No bake Vancouver cheesecake

http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe049.html

Recipe just added in Karen's gourmet recipes. This is the recipe we were treated to in our last meeting.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Default cheesecake

Hi... This recipe sounds great. Is it possible to freeze it or perhaps half the recipe? Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 14:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You can halve the recipe and make it in an 8-inch springform pan. You can also make mini ones in muffin cup lined muffin tins.

We had a brief chat about freezing cheesecakes on Sunday night and I'm going to figure out a cheesecake recipe that can be served frozen. It may have to have some alcohol in it to keep it from being too solid. It's sugar and alcohol that prevent stuff like this from freezing rock hard.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 20:03

Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Default Great

Thanks Karen. A little alcohol wouldn't hurt, would it?? Looking forward to your posts. Cheers.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 20:27

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Karen, I made this yesterday and served it tonight for dinner. It was wonderful. My husband says its the best cheesecake I've made yet!

Thanks for sharing!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 20:29
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks Kay!

I'm very happy it turned out well for you. Still haven't got around to the frozen cheesecake yet...

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 10:05

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default cake

I'm anxious to try it too Karen...have to wait until everyone's home next week though to help eat it!!!

I'm sure it will be fabulous....all the ingredients sure are.

Thanks again for always sharing with us.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 14:05

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default I can't believe I made it from SCRATCH!!

I just made the cheescake over the weekend. I cannot believe how thorough and easy the recipe was. I can cook but my past baking history has been disasters (think rock hard cookies and lumpy lopsided cakes...)

I bought all the ingredients and follow the instructions and since I didn't have any spring form pan?, I used some tinfoil takeout small tart plates. The recipe yielded 11 tarts. Which gives everyone a hefty portion.

The Almond crust was so easy. My friends that are bakers couldn't believe it was a low carb cheesecake. The blended Sugar Twin/Splenda doesn't taste artificial at all and the crust is soooooo good. I can just eat the crust and forget about the cheesecake part.

The only problem I had is with the egg whites. I think its probably my technique. I beat it till my beater is smoking and no peaks just very scrambled. So I just left out the egg whites and the cheesecake was a little heavier but still good.

Thank you Karen for the FABULOUS Recipe!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Ah... the uncooperative egg white. It's imperative that your beaters and bowl are *completely* clean and dry and that there isn't even a smidgen of egg yolk in them (really, the best way to separate them is with your hands... let the white slip through your index and middle finger in your cupped hand. For higher volume whites, use an unlined copper bowl.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 15:45
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks Sarlye! If you can't bake, gelitan desserts are a sure thing.

Nancy has given you some good advice. Egg whites can be very uncooperative!

I made the frozen cheesecake I was talking about earlier, yesterday. Talk about lying down and screaming. It was that good.

Stay tuned...

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 15:49

BF:

So Karen - share, share already!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 17:30

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

please karen, please!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 21:07

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks for the handy tip about the egg whites.

We just finished the last of the cheesecake and my husband is hinting that I should try again since I need to practice my egg white beating technique.

I think we need to rest awhile as the last one took me 2 hours to do.

Maybe if Karen can share the frozen cheesecake recipe then I can just make a large up and freeze the rest. hee hee
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 00:25
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Frozen Cheesecake

Here it is! Sarlye, do you have an electric beater?
I'll be sending it to Wa'il for posting in the recipes section.

Bourbon, Chocolate and Burnt Almond “Ice Cream” Cheescake
Makes 12 pieces

Rachel inspired this cheesecake by being so fond of a toasted nut crust on another cheesecake and by wanting something, small, freeze-able and cheesecake-like. It’s not small, but can be cut small and stored in the freezer for a long time. The alcohol prevents it from freezing rock hard.

Quark is a light tangy cheese, similar to cream cheese. Grocery stores carry it in the dairy section in tubs.

If the flavour seems daunting, it can be made plain or you can experiment with other flavours, such as lemon, lime or orange zest and different alcohol or perk it up with a few fresh, berries, folded in to the cheese mixture.

1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. Splenda
1 tsp. white Sugar Twin
1/8 tsp. liquid sweetener

1/4 cup whole almonds
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. brown Sugar Twin
pinch of salt

1/2 lb. quark
1/2 lb. cream cheese
2 Tbsp. Splenda
2 Tbsp. white Sugar Twin
3/4 tsp. liquid sweetener
3 Tbsp. bourbon
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs, separated
1 cup whipping cream

Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place in the freezer.

Chop the chocolate and place in a small heatproof bowl. Place over a pot of simmering water and let the chocolate melt. Remove from the pot of water and let cool to room temperature. Cut the 2 Tbsp. butter into small bits and stir into the chocolate until it melts. Stir in the sweeteners.

Preheat the oven to 300°F. Spread the almonds out on a baking tray and bake until well browned, almost to the point of being burnt, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Chop coarsely.

In a small frying pan, melt the 1Tbsp. butter over medium heat and continue melting until it turns a rich and nutty smelling brown. Add the nuts, brown Sugar Twin and a pinch of salt. Stir into the chocolate. Spread out into the frozen pan. Place back in the freezer until hardened. Break into small pieces. Return in the pan to the freezer.

Beat the quark, cream cheese, Splenda and Sugar Twin, liquid sweetener, and vanilla together until smooth and light. Beat in the egg yolks and bourbon. Stir in the chocolate almond bits. Beat the cream until stiff and fold into the cheese mixture. Beat the egg whites to firm peaks and fold into the cheese mixture. Spread evenly into the frozen pan. Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.

Total Carbohydrates: 53.89
Total Carbohydrates Minus Fiber: 42.60
Carbohydrates per Serving: 4.49
Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 3.55
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 08:52

BF:

Karen, this sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it.

Now, could you please add to my education? I need some input. The only alcohol I generally ever have in the house is pure vanilla extract or cooking sherry, so I will have to go out and buy something. Is bourbon the only ingredient that will work in this recipe? If not, what other choices do I have? And what is the smallest size that it can be purchased in? Do you know about how much that would cost? (Sorry to be so pitiful!)

Thanks for all your help, Karen. I know all of us eat more elegantly because of you!!