Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 21:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5.5
BF:Si, mucho!
Progress: 0%
Default Gaining and am getting depressed.

Hi everyone,

It has been almost a month since I posted and almost that long since I checked in.

I started in April and had great success. I went from 155 to 138 and I was feeling good. No Great!!

Fourth of July came and I went off induction, not totally carbed out, but little cheats..
then on to the stop smoking part of my life change and I was feeling good and staying at the same weight for a while. 140... with the little cheats.

BUT NOW OH MY GOD!! BACK TO 145 and I am out of control. Still not smoking a little over a months now, but I am hungry all the time and I feel like I need to do something eat, smoke, somthing all the time. HELP!!!!!!!

I also have history of Bulemia from my teen years and I found myself thinking that that was an option again. I almost think if I smoke this will all go away.

Does anyone have any experience in any of these areas? I sure could use some advice.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 22:28

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

*hug* I really can relate with you. At least you are "catching" yourself only 7 lbs later. I just started doing yoga and I feel that it helps me in many aspects. Maybe you should go to a yoga class this week, I know that sounds weird, but I think it could really help. It helps you gain perspective, get in tune with your body, supply oxygen to your body and it helps you get in shape. You need to get back on track, with a healthy perspective. We all get side tracked at some point, but getting back on track is what matters, so dont be so hard on yourself! I find that picking up a low carb book, or reading this message board is also good inspiration. Its important to not punnish yourself for cheating, by starving or other means. Remember to love yourself and your body.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 22:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Good Advice, skibunnie!

Well maybe you should just go back to the low carb, but not induction if you feel you really can't. It's hard to break the cycle of little cheats, but you know 7 pounds is not that much, so why not just nip it in the bud so to speak, and just follow the plan, but just over induction levels, maybe it won't feel like such a chore as starting over again?

As well, I'm going to post a link you may find interesting, I wanted to know why people did'nt stop them selves when they started to regain weight, it got some great post and I think it would really help you at this very early stage of slipping. O.K.
Hope that helps, Cheers Kathy

http://www.burstnet.com/cgi-bin/ads...030/RETURN-CODE

If this does'nt work and I don't think it did. lol just scroll down the Atkins questions til you see Touchy question for 2&3 timers, posted by Kathy 54

Last edited by Kathy54 : Fri, Sep-05-03 at 22:59.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 23:17

Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%

Nice post SkiBunnie, well said.

Don't worry about the 7 lbs. Don't worry about the past the few weeks. Try to remember why you were so successful LCing, and get back in touch with that feeling and motivation. The last few weeks are gone, take care of today, then tomorrow, and in a few days you'll be back.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 04:15

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Make today day one of back on the LC wagon. Bulimia is never the answer, been there and done it - big mistake, just think of the rotten teeth and that nasty feeling of being out of control

Think of how many extra years you're adding to your life by not smoking and LCing! Keep strong - you KNOW that this WOE works for you when you're totally on-plan, don't look at it as a diet, try and get your head around the fact that you're so special that you're 'rewarding' yourself with a big juicy steak for dinner with mushrooms in cream and garlic along with cauli mash and broccoli, get out the best dinner plates and your nicest wine glass (whether it's full of water or wine!) make losing weight fun again, not a chore
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:34

Plan: Atkins and then CAD
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'4"
BF:33.5/33.1/24
Progress: 9%

Hi Surrender!

Skibunnie gave you great advice. I too, quit smoking at the end of July. I have quit before and vowed that this time would be it! So, to compensate for the inevitable weight gain that come with quitting, I joined Curves for Woman and began working out. From that point, I read the Curves book, then Atkins and began LCing.

So, it has been a real challene to not smoke, low carb AND exercise. I have a complete lifestyle change in just six weeks!

I too, become discouraged, want to smoke and eat high carb food.....on some days. I try to keep in mind that I feel better than I did 6 weeks ago. I have more energy and I breathe better. I'm 7 pounds lighter (wish it was more, but hey, not too bad).

Just try to stay focused. Go for a walk when you feel like cheating. Have a frankenfood, it's better than eating cheesecake.....whatever you have to do to get through this slump.

I understand your feelings.....I feel the same at times.

Visit this forum often for support.....I find it really helps just to read that others' are going through the same thing.

Good luck to you!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 15:19

Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5.5
BF:Si, mucho!
Progress: 0%

I just want to thank everyone for their responses. You have all been so very helpful.
So far today "NO CHEETING" I cleaned my house out and there is no temptations to speak of. The Nuts that I love and the sugar free ice cream and the sugar free jelly. I found all kinds of stuff I thought were safe for me. This has been a learning process.
Again, Thanks and I will stay hooked in more often, it does help.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 21:16
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I quit smoking last New Year's..and have pretty much been in a stall ever since! I had to quit my bartending job for family reasons, so the lifestyle change also factors in.. (but at least I'm not around smokers all day! It was a real BIT%^ to quit with smokers taunting me... but thanks to Mr Squirtgun, they didn't TWICE...)

Anyhow... my POINT, and I do HAVE one <hehheh> is keep on trying, it gets better!! I've found keeping the hands busy helps..and I've become a message-board addict!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 21:35

Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

Surrender.
I too was in the same boat as you . Started in April and lost 18.5 lbs but then July 4th and after was my downfall too .
I did not totally go off Atkins but did little cheats here and there until I noticed about 5 lbs creeping back on me.
Then I started back on LAbor Day because I thought of the commitment I made to myself and realized I was going back to my old ways .
Needless to say I have now lost the 5 lbs but also lost 2 more.YEAH!!!!!

It is really hard to get back on track but once you do it it will feel like the 1st week of Induction and the motivation will get you going-At leas it did for me and now there is no stopping me!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!