Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 06:21

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%
Default LC Inspiration + Thoughts on LC Forums

So I'm reading, and feeling inspired by the many 5-star reviews of the Atkins Diet over on Amazon.com this morning. If you need a dose of motivation to help you on your LC path, you should really read some.

http://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Diet-R...howViewpoints=0

But reading some of those reviews, it occurred to me that LC forums can sometimes give people a very false notion that a large percentage of LC folks are somehow really struggling with this way of eating. When in fact the overwhelming majority of people get great results. Perhaps not all, but most.

I believe LC forums tend to attract the "strugglers" in disproportional numbers. I mean think of it...if you do a LC diet and are getting great results you're most likely to just be happy about that and go on about your life. You may share your enthusiasm for the diet with people in your "real life" - but probably are not going to even think of hanging out on an LC forum.

But if you're struggling with an LC diet, or having some "cognitive dissonance" about it, you are MUCH more likely to end up on an LC support forum for support.

Then you will see on that forum that it seems like "lots" of folks are "struggling" with it, and perhaps become disheartened.

But don't!

Again...it WORKS very well for MOST!

If you're struggling, you probably just need to tweak what you're doing a bit. Remember, MOST people do very well on an LC diet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 06:37

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

I think your absolutely right. People with problems are far more likely to post on here and be lurking. Once a person reaches their goal weight they tend to leave the dieting scene altogether.

Its same thing with reviews about services/products from companies, your likely to run into alot of negative reviews for any company in general because people who had problems are far more likely to make a report.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 07:04

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

i agree. i belonged to a support board for parents of kids with epilepsy. the ones that stuck around were the ones who's kids never got good control of their seizures. we continued to need help and support. sometimes a new parent would come on and be freaked out, not realizing that most kids got great control on meds. we were the minority. guess the same applies here.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 07:26

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph317
i agree. i belonged to a support board for parents of kids with epilepsy. the ones that stuck around were the ones who's kids never got good control of their seizures. we continued to need help and support. sometimes a new parent would come on and be freaked out, not realizing that most kids got great control on meds. we were the minority. guess the same applies here.

Has your child been on the ketogenic diet for epilepsy yet?

Or have you seen the movie First Do No Harm? Here's a clip form it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDFsLe5FbeQ
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 08:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

Sometimes it's not as complicated as all that. No one else in my life follows a low carb diet so I simply pop in here to be around like-thinkers. I've not struggled with this woe and have always had stunning success. For me, it's simply a case of birds of a feather....
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 17:22

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc4good
Sometimes it's not as complicated as all that. No one else in my life follows a low carb diet so I simply pop in here to be around like-thinkers. I've not struggled with this woe and have always had stunning success. For me, it's simply a case of birds of a feather....

Same here. Nobody in my life follows low carb either. I love the sense of community this low carb forum provides (I don't belong to any others). I too have had stunning success, by my standards, but still log on to see what's going on with everybody and to learn about new research. Occasionally when things go a bit wrong (carb creep I'm looking at you) it's helpful to read the experience of others or to make a post myself and ask for advice. I also enjoy supporting others or offering advice from my own experience. When I began this journey the advice and support I received was absolutely priceless and key to my weight loss so I believe in giving back if possible. I've been low carbing for 16 months, consistently and successfully, and I'm now in maintenance but I can't imagine not being part of this online community.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 21:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think low carbers are too hard on themselves and each other sometimes. A good example is Jimmy Moore. Yes, he's made some serious mistakes... flirting with Kimkins, frankenfoods etc. But since his original low carb weightloss from what? 420 to 230? something like that--his worst rebound still left him at the more than exceptional level for weightloss. And that, if not all his original weightloss has lasted eight years or so.

I used to read some low carb book--Atkins, Protein Power--and my focus on this way of eating would last until shortly after I ran out of book. Dr Eades Blog, Hyperlipid, this site etc. gave me something to read after I ran out of book, and I think really kept me on the diet until it really took.

I dunno, maybe some of us should testify a little louder and more frequently.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 06:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I used to read some low carb book--Atkins, Protein Power--and my focus on this way of eating would last until shortly after I ran out of book. Dr Eades Blog, Hyperlipid, this site etc. gave me something to read after I ran out of book, and I think really kept me on the diet until it really took.

A great point; I'm an information junkie and love reading about my areas of interest. I'm now at the point where I can share "on the ground" help, just as this forum did for me when I started out.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 07:20

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 222/203/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff

I believe LC forums tend to attract the "strugglers" in disproportional numbers. I mean think of it...if you do a LC diet and are getting great results you're most likely to just be happy about that and go on about your life. You may share your enthusiasm for the diet with people in your "real life" - but probably are not going to even think of hanging out on an LC forum.

I disagree. I think you underestimate the level of bonding and friendships that people tend to form, at least in this forum. I see a lot of very successful LCers that have stuck around for a lot longer than "necessary". These people are the very best resources for information, support and help to those just starting out or restarting. The people in this forum in particular are very friendly and show genuine interest in helping other people succeed, as they have.

I know for me, I tend not to "share my enthusiasm for the diet with people in my real life" because most of them believe WW and low calorie are the only ways to lose weight. And most of them wouldn't be "open" to hearing me preach about how great low carb is because it contradicts their own beliefs. Here, there are people that KNOW low carb works, have experienced it and can guide me through my own journey much better than hearing my real life friends say "I'm telling you, low calorie is the only way!" when I know that isn't true for me.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 08:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think this forum is a key reason behind why I've stuck with it so long (8 or so years) and maintained my initial 30-40 pound loss.

Yay forum!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-12, 11:07
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurst
I disagree. I think you underestimate the level of bonding and friendships that people tend to form, at least in this forum. I see a lot of very successful LCers that have stuck around for a lot longer than "necessary". These people are the very best resources for information, support and help to those just starting out or restarting. The people in this forum in particular are very friendly and show genuine interest in helping other people succeed, as they have.

I know for me, I tend not to "share my enthusiasm for the diet with people in my real life" because most of them believe WW and low calorie are the only ways to lose weight. And most of them wouldn't be "open" to hearing me preach about how great low carb is because it contradicts their own beliefs. Here, there are people that KNOW low carb works, have experienced it and can guide me through my own journey much better than hearing my real life friends say "I'm telling you, low calorie is the only way!" when I know that isn't true for me.

I'm with you Kurst! Good post!
I stick around first for myself as I am very committed to never being morbidly obese again in my life.
I know how hard it is to stick with it when you've got over 100 lbs to lose. I know how easy it is to say screw it.

As a personal trainer, coachjeff, how do you relate to your female clients who have emotional eating issues aka compulsive eating? Can you relate?
Is this why you start these types of conversations?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-12, 14:13

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff
So I'm reading, and feeling inspired by the many 5-star reviews of the Atkins Diet over on Amazon.com this morning. If you need a dose of motivation to help you on your LC path, you should really read some.

http://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Diet-R...howViewpoints=0

But reading some of those reviews, it occurred to me that LC forums can sometimes give people a very false notion that a large percentage of LC folks are somehow really struggling with this way of eating. When in fact the overwhelming majority of people get great results. Perhaps not all, but most.

But if you're struggling with an LC diet, or having some "cognitive dissonance" about it, you are MUCH more likely to end up on an LC support forum for support.

Then you will see on that forum that it seems like "lots" of folks are "struggling" with it, and perhaps become disheartened.

But don't!

Again...it WORKS very well for MOST!

If you're struggling, you probably just need to tweak what you're doing a bit. Remember, MOST people do very well on an LC diet.

Thanks - those are motivating - i'm always looking for more motivational reading!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-12, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: Low-carb/Low-calorie
Stats: 315/158/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 101%

I recently read a book entitled "Mighty Be Our Powers" by Leymah Gbowee who formed a women's movement that was the driving force behind getting Charles Taylor and the warlords out of Liberia and ending the war. In her book she talks about a form of group therapy session, where women from all walks of life would come together, initially not having anything in common except their belief in peace for Liberia. Ultimately the women learned they were struggling with the same issues, had the same experiences at home and in public, and were able to rely on one another. Leymah herself says that without these sessions, the war in Liberia would not have ended and the WIPNET women's movement would not have been such a strong force.

I view this forum in that way, except many of us are battling food issues: binge eating, portion control, cravings. It is an emotional battlefield and we have come together to share our strengths with those who need help, and to have a supportive shoulder to cry on with those that understand our grief.