Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/163/120 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 28%
Unhappy Fat Fast after a SF candy blowout?

Ok, here goes. I lost 13 lbs. in 37 days and was getting impatient thinking things weren't moving fast enough, because I had read so many stories about people losing that amount in a mere week! Feeling frustrated, I thought, ok, so what, I've been working so hard and been faithful with the exercise (1 to 1 1/2 hours 3-4 days a week of advanced TaeBo and The Firm), so a little SF candy reward won't hurt.(Never "reward" yourself when you're frustrated) I thought, one day can't erase over a month of hard work. Well, that "little" reward turned out to be a binge. I ate 4 Russell Stover PB cups earlier today along with 4 SF turtles. Then later in the day I ate the rest of the PB cups(8). More importantly, I also neglected to mention that last night I really did cheat with a small size DQ cookie dough blizzard, definitely NOT legal (neither is loading up on SF treats). Now I'm so mad at myself I could scream!!!

Was my weight loss slow, average, or just normal? And would it hurt me to jump start things by going on the fat fast for a few days, then modified fat fast, then back to induction? Will I get sick going on a fast after this big blowout? I was planning on staying on induction until reaching goal, and was really enjoying doing it. I didn't have the carb craving until after that blizzard last night. And I don't even know what caused me to eat that. Now I feel like I've undone all my good work. The scale showed a 5 lb. increase today. It took nearly two weeks to take off those 5 lbs. Now what do I do?

Somebody please encourage me! What should I do? Somebody PLEEEEEEEASE tell me the best way to handle this. I am so depressed that I blew it in such a big way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 15:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Was my weight loss slow, average, or just normal?

None of the above. Your weight loss is wonderful! Losing 13 pounds in 37 days is nothing short of excellent. Really!

The folk you may have read about who have large losses in a short time have a lot more to lose than you do. So congratulate yourself on doing so well.

I would definitely advise against doing the fat fast. The fat fast is meant for those people who are metabolically resistant, that it, they cannot lose anything after weeks of Induction. You clearly do not fall into that category.

I would simply go back to Induction - maybe just for a week. The current increase will mostly be water and will go again way before another two weeks are up. Carbs'll do that. When we switch back from burning fat for fuel to carbs, the body will retain water for a few days.

So relax, pat yourself on the back for doing so well over all, forgive yourself for one little lapse, and move on. You'll be fine.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 18:07

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Add up the carbs you ate during your little binge. If it was less than 3500 calories, then you have not gained back a pound of fat- it will be water and you may have taken yourself out of ketosis. Some people who are doing weightlifting actually have a day of high carb intake and it does not set back their overall fat loss.

Just get back on track and learn to pay attention to your fat loss, not your weight. I just wish Atkins had instructed people to not get on the scales at all as part of the deal.....they fluctuate wildly and just make people miserable as a result if they 'believe' them on a daily basis. Weigh four times a month and take an average of that. Get calipers measurements of BF% as a more accurate estimate of what is going on and watch your clothes shrink. Most people on average over the whole time of weight loss only lose about 3-4 lbs a month, so you may be ahead of yourself. Relax and get your mind into this as a WOL.

Val
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 18:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

sf candy blowout

now that is funny
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 18:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm suprised you didn't poop yourself inside-out from the sf candy!!!! That would DEFINATELY get the water weight going....

The fat fast is only advised for those who are severely metabolicly resistant, and I wouldn't advise it, since your weight loss is so good. Don't give up!! I'd say try induction a bit again, and now you know those candies are a binge trigger for you, and should probably be avoided altogether, at least for the time being.