Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 16:39
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Incidentally, some stores do let you try out bikes. REI took my driver's license and had me fill out a waiver, loaned me a helmet, and let me take the bike out for a test ride.
I did have to wait while they checked the bike over, though. But hey, that's all good.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 15:19

Plan: none
Stats: 370/298/200 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 42%

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/bikes can be pricey but are getting pretty good reviews.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 21:55

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
I got about 30,000 miles out of it before it got stolen recently.

my condolences. i've had a few bikes stolen and it's an extra choke when you've had it for a long time.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 15:16

Stats: 398/292/180 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:
Smile Strong Tires (Solid)

I just got on to find stronger tires for my Diamondback. Take a look at these. You can also get them made to different pressures.

http://www.airfreetires.com/shoppin...ycle-tires.aspx
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 15:42

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I would second the recommendation to get a frame you can trust and a great bike shop. They can make wheels with more spokes which handles more weight. Also, I got pedal extenders which helps with the thighs putting the feet apart more.

I got a RANS Fusion and love, love it. It's a 'crank forward' frame (cross between conventional diamond frame and recumbent). In the comfort class but also fast and performance oriented.

Money quote from their forum when I was shopping: "the first bike that doesn't tell me how fat I am."

The frame geometry means your belly doesn't fight with your thighs, the gearing means you can move 300 pounds from a dead stop easily, the tires have the perfect balance between rolling resistance and performance...

It's rated to 275 pounds and on their forum a guy who was 330 pounds rode it no problem.

I'm selling this one at the moment but only because I want a girlie step through frame which RANS recently introduced.

RANS bikes

They also now sell a HammerTruck crank forward that is made for bike hauling and can handle 500 pounds. !

These bikes are not cheap is the downside. I saved up for mine and am very happy with it. If it doesn't sell I will be happy too, just, less able to ride in a skirt.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 06:33

Plan: atkins/paleo
Stats: 238/195/175 Male 72 "
BF:
Progress:
Default or go the cheap custom route

scavenge some junkers and turn them into something great:

http://www.atomiczombie.com/ the loderunner trike looks great for the heavy rider; useful too.

if you can't weld a local shop can do it for you. a bit of work but still real cheap and custom made for you.

the biggest thing for the heavy cyclist is strong wheels, BTW. most frames can handle a load far greater than their lawyer-inspired rating.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 03:23

Stats: 182/145.5/140 Male 66 in
BF:11
Progress: 87%

Worksman makes very sturdy bikes and they are very reasonably priced.

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_...l/indbikes.html

A larger guy on BikeJournal.com rides his 100 miles at a time with no trouble. Men's and ladies models in this and a sportier looking version.

Last edited by BruceInAla : Wed, Oct-07-09 at 03:29.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 03:03

Plan: south beach-ish
Stats: 457/356/325 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Its a cheap and good bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by j13
Hi there. I've x-posted this in the low-intensity forum because I wasn't sure where I'd get the best response. I'm very sorry if this is against ettiquette for the site. Also, if this has already been discussed, please send me a link to the thread - I tried searching and didn't find anything that answered my specific question.

Some background: I've been doing Atkins since January, have worked very hard and dropped 90 lbs. so far. I exercise for ~1 hour a day ever day - I lift weights (dumbbells, kettlebell, machines) 3 days and week and do some form of cardio the other 4 days. I very rarely take a day off, and even when I do I generally get in 20 minutes. In addition to the weight loss, through exercise I've managed to lower my resting heartrate from 92+ to under 60.

Here's my problem - I want to excercise in new ways to (1) keep from the monotony (hence the kettlebell - which is awesome, btw), and (2) to add things that challenge me more than walking, which doesn't do it for me like it did when I started. For this reason I'd really like to start using a (real, non-stationary) bike. But at this point I still weigh around 350 lbs, and I'm afraid that any bike I might buy would, basically, crumple beneath my weight. It's not like I want a super-light 10 speed or anything - just a mountain bike with multiple gears that I could use instead of my car when I run to the store, or just to ride for fun on streets and bike paths.

Can anyone recommend a sturdy bike that I could ride? I'd like to spend less than $1,000, preferably somewhere in the $350-$600 range if possible (but if more expensive options are my only options, I'd appreciate learning about them, too). If I'm too heavy for most anything, can someone please let me know around what weight I could start looking into getting a bike?

Thanks very much for any info-

-j.

I bought a roadmaster bike at walmart for 79.99 and i weigh about 350 i took it to the local bike shop for new wheels and tires with a better weight rating and the swap cost 50 and i love the bike it has been great
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 01:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 415/405/200 Male 69"
BF:
Progress:

A mail order magazine sells bicycles for heavy people in the price range you mention. It is Living XL . It is connected with the catalog XL Casual Male. They sell mens tall and big clothing. Living XL has a web site too LivingXL.com

Last edited by wdg123 : Thu, Nov-26-09 at 01:36.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-09, 15:05

Stats: 425/252/199 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have a canondale that I use to regularly ride when I was 325lbs plus. The bike shop built the rims to handle the extra weight. But the pressure I put on the bike was rough. I was doing much more then leisurely riding at the time...
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 14:53

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 172/172/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

J: So happy to hear that you want to take up bike riding. If you want the best advice on the right bike go to a bike shop. They can answer all you question and also tell you were the best bike past are. I got into riding two years ago and now I go all over Michigan. I love it and now have two bikes. Its a great stress releiver. Good Luck
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 12:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/200 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Super Sized Cycles

Bikes built specifically for this purpose. Good luck!

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/