Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 13:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/154.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38.8%
Progress: 51%

Thank you for that. I am feeling anxiety more so than anything else and my heart has been racing periodically through out this treatment (resting heart rate of 90-100(currently on day 6) and am shaky and light headed. I am easing off on the pills to see if the die off slows down.

I am taking PARA which has Walnut Leaves, Hercampuri, Walnut Hulls, Elecampane Root, Wormwood, Tansy, Quassia Bark, Epazote Anedda Bark, Butternut Bark, Olive Leaves, Cloves

An noticing the die off to be a bit much this time around. Die can not hurt you can it? Also is there something that can be taken to help support the healing of the gut and the liver. i know about probiotics but what about the liver?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/152.5/135 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 42%

Okay so today is day 7 on a 30 day treatment. I am going to see if my naturalpath can help me out on Wednesday as I have dropped to lowest dose and have been feeling much better but I have noticed that any energy I expel is exaggerated and my heart rate goes up and I am, tired easily. I went for a gentle walk and my son fell asleep (30lbs) I had to carry him back home about a 5 minute walk and my heart rate was up and I was tired!!!!!

QUESTION: Even if I am on the lowest dose would this still keep me in die off and would I then have to extend the treatment or should I just bite the bullet and ride it out for the month??
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 03:21
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteranac
Thank you for that. I am feeling anxiety more so than anything else and my heart has been racing periodically through out this treatment (resting heart rate of 90-100(currently on day 6) and am shaky and light headed. I am easing off on the pills to see if the die off slows down.

I am taking PARA which has Walnut Leaves, Hercampuri, Walnut Hulls, Elecampane Root, Wormwood, Tansy, Quassia Bark, Epazote Anedda Bark, Butternut Bark, Olive Leaves, Cloves

An noticing the die off to be a bit much this time around. Die can not hurt you can it? Also is there something that can be taken to help support the healing of the gut and the liver. i know about probiotics but what about the liver?

Hi Peteranac.

wow, wormwood---if it is really wormwood---can be dangerous. It can cause shakiness. I found this online, because I was discussing absinthe with a friend (historical uses) and I believe wormwood is a component in it and it can cause big health issues.

Here . . I found this online for you from a link

"Thujone (the thing in wormwood) produces a state of excitement and is a powerful convulsant. Ingestion of wormwood may result in absinthism, a syndrome characterized by digestive disorders, thirst, restlessness, vertigo, trembling of the limbs, numbness of the extremities, loss of intellect, delirium, paralysis, and death." Link: http://www.drugs.com/npp/wormwood.html

I think your symptoms may be due to wormwood in the pill, not die off. Also, be careful about using anything to treat candida which has a plethora of ingredients mixed together, herbal or otherwise. Always find out exactly what is in it, but the more ingredients mixed together, the less easy it is to see whether they are ALL meant to treat candida or not, plus the less easy it is to work out what is causing what symptoms, side-effects, improvements etc.

Out of that last, I've also heard that walnut extracts are good for treating certain parasites, and that cloves are antifungal and olive leaves can be good for this type of condition, but I have not personally heard of any of the other ingredients, although that doesn't mean they are not useful. I'm not sure this is a good way to target just candida specifically, though, only because if I see "wormwood" in the list, alarm bells go off, especially if you are having side-effects.

If you want to investigate ingredients, I've found a good way to do it is to type into google the ingredient plus "contraindications" and then also the ingredient plus "candida" in a separate search to see if it has a good record for treating candida specifically. Look at several sites before making a judgement, since if they all agree on points, they are more likely to be correct and less prone to error.

Don't know if that helps or not. but I hope you feel better soon. If you are not happy with a treatment, or have serious side effects, consult your doctor and see about changing medicines. There is more than one compound to treat candida and whatever you use should be targetting fungi and candida specifically, not just "parasites" in general.

Milk thistle and dandelion will help the liver and can protect it from serious side-effects of medicines and strong herbs. A. Vogel is a good brand and makes a Milk Thistle Complex which can be taken in a pill, as well as in an alcohol-based tincture. Avoid the alcohol-based tincture while on candida treatment, but the pill should help. Research on milk thistle protective effects is pretty strong across the medical literature too.

Probiotics and Prebiotics are an essential part of candida treatment as well and should be taken alongside any antifungal treatment over a long period of time to help encourage gut healing.

All the best,

Annajen XXX
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 07:34

Hi Annajen,

Thank you for the warning I do understand that there are dangers with wormwood but there is no way to do a parasite cleanse without it, black walnut and cloves. The three are essential for the elinination of the parasite as well as the eggs.

I am no longer tryng to eliniate the candida I am candida free as I only had an isolated case of it sdue to the most recent antibiotics. I am not a chronic sufferer. Once I get the parasite out of me then I will be folliwuing the candida diet through out the week and splurging on weekends. I know dozens of people who have taken this particular cleanse and been fine. Some die off worse that the others but otherwise fine. My naturopath has been tried, trusted and true and I know she doesn't give me anything that she doesn't feel I need.

I am done to the minimum dose for a week and will slowly work my way up to the appropraite doesage. If I get thsoe symptons again I'll back off and revist her on her recommendation.

The amount of wormwood in these capsules is so small and every single website that I have researched has stated that in small doses wormwood is very beneficial in elininating parasites.

Otherwise I am feeling better, slightly tire and still with the mild headaches but otherwise fine. I up the dose on Thursday to 2 pills a day.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 08:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

HI peteranac,

I feel better now, since you're under the care of a naturopath and you've explored the dosage levels etc!!

As I mentioned, the original discussion related to absinthe, which had wormwood but in much higher doses (hence its recreational drug effects on people).

Sounds like you're getting better anyway, which is the main thing.

Have you tried Threelac? I'm just interested to find out what people have thought about it, if anything, since I'm thinking of adding it to my regime.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged, due to the slow nature of this treatment in general. I know that everything I've read from other people also suggest that candida treatment is a longer term thing and progress is in months rather than days, but it's still getting depressing.

As for the parasite, at least you can get it out. They have said mine is the amoebic type and I'm stuck with it because there have been no successful treatments against blastocystis hominis, although having said that, garlic and oil of oregano can help keep the numbers down.

Anyway, sorry to sound like I'm in a negative frame of mind, but I am a bit at the mo.

It's good to hear of your progress, though, and I'm happy to hear you're on the mend mostly!
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 14:36

Hi Annajen,

I have been using the curezone forum alot for the parasite cleanse and alot of people talk about Treelac or Humaworm over there. Might want to check it out.

I am feeling better today again. Still get tired and mild headaches but I still have a few weeks left on this.

Don't get discouraged it will take time and you will get better. I would consider it a way of life as it is a better lifestyle. Once you get low enough maybe diet alone will help you.

I am hopeful that I will kick this. You will too and we will have our way of life back.

I do have one question for you or everyone, has anyone ever considered the stress put on the organs after these cleasnes and herbal supplement? Has anyone done something afterwards to support the healing of these organs???
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 12:30

I hate to jinx myself but I have noticed for the past two nights that I have not been exhausted and am able to get up in the morning not problem. Not refreshed but also not tired. I do notice that I do need to sleep through the night in roder to refresh myself so no more toddler cries in the middle of the night....hopefully.

Other than that simple anxiety that I have been able to ward off and mildly dull headaches. I do up the doasge today though!!!
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 18:10

Well it is March 24th and during the March break I broke from the course as I was home with the kids and all structure went out the window. I started on the 3 pills a day March 22nd and again the heart s racing but not as much as before and the headaches a little but the temperature drop significantly and it rained, oh it rained!!!! I am noticing aches and pains periodically in my chest, shoulders and lower back but I go see my Naturalpath on April 22 and am set for a complete physical with my doctor April 12th. I haven't been exercising in about 7 months so I am sure my resting heart rate has increased a bit but I will be trying to lower it again with cardio workouts.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-10, 06:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

HI Peteranac and everyone,

Having a tough time with some other issues this spring on top of the usual candida stuff too, so bear with me!

RE: your query regarding organs and post-cleanse stress . . . yeah, I do take a lot of herbals to support the organs. I'm on milk thistle to help the liver, agnus castus because I'm one of those women with a lot of hormone woman issues and so that helps the pituitary and female cycle issues, and licorice root because the candida and malnutrition etc had my blood pressure very low, and the licorice helps to normalize the adrenals (I'm also pretty stressed out right now as I write this).

Sometimes I also alternate the licorice with ginseng, which does the same type of thing generally (although please no one out there take ginseng or licorice if you have high blood pressure!!! Check first with your physician, because in some people these can be dangerous).

I also supplement things like silica to help the connective tissue because my gut really was absorbing very little, most especially by way of minerals, vitamins, aminos etc.

Anyway, I'd also be interested to see what everyone else is doing in this regard. Good question, peteranac!

Sorry to hear that all structure goes out the window with kid holidays, stress patches etc. I always thought I was the only one who ended up doing that. Nice to know there are two of us, anyway. XXX
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-10, 18:43

Annajen,

I am sorry to hear that life is stressful for you. I hope things even themselves out. i is not good for your candida issues and I say this from experience.

I had a bad day today. I was fine all morning but then I went for a walk (a walk!!!!) for 1 hour not fast at all I walked 3.5 miles an our and felt horrible all afternoon, tired, foggy and soar in my upper back and chest. I wanted to start doing some more workouts as my resting heart rate is too high for my liking (85 bpm) normally I am in the 60's. Not sure if the herbs are causing this or if this is part of the parasite die off but I have increased the dosage again this week. I am on day 4 of the increased dosage so I am hopeful it will go away soon. I have three weeks left on the treatment and am looking forward to being rid of this mess and bak to normal again.

One thing I have noticed this time around is that I am itchy armpits mostly but itchy!!!

Hope you have a better day or that you at least know that you are not alone!!!
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-10, 10:02

Day can not even remember but I am in day 6 or 7 of the full dosage of the herbs. I go through spells and think I need to get some thigns to support my liver. I am very concerned that the liver may be enlarged due to the cleansing and herbs that I have injested. Anyone have this?

It does heal correct?

My heart rate has been okay, a little high but nothing to worry about but my shoulder ache is bothersome and my shakiness and weakness is torubling. i am very afraid to pass out. I have alwasy had low/normal blood pressure but apparently it is affected by these herbs. I just want this over with soon. I have 20 days left of pills and am hopeful that these feeliongsd will subside before the end of the dosage!!!

Little anxious today as the die off puts you into a completely helpless feeling.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-10, 17:26

well I broke down and went to a medical doctor today as my heart rate was VERY high (for me anyways). My naturalpath told me I had beaten the parasite at least the live parasite she couldn'T say about the eggs so I am to se how I feel for the next week and a half. The shit part is I got a head cold and my heart rate has been racing ever since. I am talking 101-110 resting!!!! Quite high for a person my age.

Any ways my naturalpath told me everything was fine with my heart, lungs, stomach,intestines and my Kidneys and liver were a little sluggish most likely due to the die off and cleansing that I have been doing for the past 4 months.

My medical doctor sent me for some blood work (thyroid) and an EKG. The lady there was quite nice and it didn't last long at all but I asked if that was bad or good. And she told me it was good. Not sure if I should read into that or not but I am hopeful that everything is okay and the increase is the herbs leaving my system as today is my first day of being herb free. I have never had any issues before with my heart so I am hopeful that everything will be fine. But the underlying doubt gets you everytime!!! It is scary and helpless.

Keep your fingers crossed.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-10, 09:52

Well today is April 6, 2010. That puts me at 4 full months of detoxing and cleansing. And I have to tell you (aside for the head cold) I feel 1000 times better.

Energy is back, no more mid afternoon fatigue, headaches gone, heart rate back to normal, no more aches and pains.

Go a hold of it and no longer going to let it go!!!!! No all I have to do is get back into shape!!!!

Good luck everyone.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi guys!

Just thought I would check in . . . I've been away awhile. Glad to hear you're doing well peteranac!

I'm also a lot better and the doc says the candida is gone or very under control anyway. I am staying on the meds a bit more, only I am also battling with a few other related issues, such as underfunctioning thyroid (not just due to thyroxine deficiency but to other related things like malabsorption/lack of ability to convert T4 to T3, lack of conversion enzymes etc) and consequently under-functioning adrenals.

This is all candida-related in a way, along with the food allergies. I can have soy and gluten again with no problem, according to the doc, but still am still showing a lot of allergies to yeast, fungi, mushrooms, etc which the doc is trying to desensitize me to, using mould drops etc.

That's all for my progress for now. I can go running, but as I said, hypothyroidism is a large part of what went wrong and so I have to pace myself with that. One good thing that helps both candida and hypothyroidism seems to be coconut oil, so I'm becomming very fond of caprylic acid!

Anyway, that's it from me for now. Hope everyone else is making some progress. Interestingly (and worryingly to some extent) a lot of the foods on the candida diet are also goitrogenic (interferes with thyroid hormone uptake) and so things like sweet potatoes (often suggested as a substitute for potatoes), berries, cabbage, broccoli and soy/tofu among others are goitrogenic, most particularly uncooked and most particularly tofu.

This might be something for other people to pay attention to out there if you are hypothyroid or euthyroid, since you may want to follow a very careful candida diet to limit some of these foods so as not to make things harder on your thyroid.

Anyway, good luck! I'll check back as and when I have something to report to see how the rest of you are all doing!

Annajen XXXXX
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-10, 16:20

Plan: Vegetarian Candida Diet
Stats: 116/116/116 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Day 4

Hello all!

I found this thread when I was researching candida die-off symptoms, and it seemed like a great idea, so I thought I'd join in, even though there hasn't been any activity recently .

I am 20 years old, and have been showing signs of candida overgrowth for quite a while. It's hard to pinpoint when it began, but probably when I was about 7 or 8 years old. When I was a small child, I was prone to ear infections, so I've had a lot of amoxicillin in my body (not a good way to start off!). When I was about 10 or 11, I developed stubborn acne, which is rather young to be considered solely hormonal. By the time I was 13, I had been prescribed oral antibiotics to combat it. I'm appreciating the irony here, since it may well have been candida that caused my skin problems, and antibiotics just make this sort of thing worse. Was on them for 5 years (what was my doctor THINKING?), but stopped taking them once I learned about what they were doing to my body. I've been off them for 2 years. I've had IBS that sort of ebbs and flows in severity for at least ten years. It's gotten worse as I've gotten older, and my gastric problems became really severe about 8 months ago, following a stint the summer/fall before where most of my diet consisted of day old wheat bread and various cookies from my friend's bakery (money was tight and it was free :P). I became violently ill and developed a gluten allergy, as well as an intolerance to anything in the onion family, except for garlic, which I can have sparingly. I can no longer digest beans, except for soybeans. I couldn't digest nuts for a while, but I can now. I developed an allergy to cucumbers about a month ago. I've had rashes on and off for the past 2 years, and I have oral thrush. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember, but I'm feeling great these days . I've had the whole brain fogginess thing for maybe a year or two. I'm EXTREMELY sensitive in general, so it's not surprising that I'm having severe symptoms from the yeast overgrowth. I became a vegetarian when I was 17 - for ethical reasons; I will never eat something with a nervous system again - and am currently vegan. I am allergic to dairy at this point, and can't digest eggs anyway .

I started doing the candida diet (a vegan version) about 4 days ago. The first two days, I was STARVING. And extremely emotional, feeling like I was totally losing it! My poor roommate... By the morning of Day 3, I was no longer ravenous, and had developed diarrhea. By the evening this turned into vomiting, weakness, fever and shakiness. I was so weak that I couldn't talk or move. The vomiting went away after about an hour, and then my tummy felt totally fine. At first I thought maybe I had ingested something bad, but then I remembered that I was detoxifying, and it was probably just die-off. Like I said, I'm super sensitive, so I'm probably going to get the die-off symptoms pretty bad. Today, I've been very weak and tired, but my tummy seems to be doing okay. I took activated charcoal, so that probably helped with the toxins and such. I ordered some Now Candida Clear, and am waiting for it in the mail. I figure I'll wait a week or so to start it so that I don't overwhelm my body too much. I have some high quality probiotics which I will start taking soon. I've been hesitant to take them right now because my intestinal wall is probably crowded with too much bad bacteria for the good ones to have any room to attach to, and I don't want to waste them.

So, yeah. There is my candida experience thus far . Hoping to kill these suckers and get back to a healthy state! I'm hopeful that I'll once again be able to eat beans. I miss hummus . And onions! Oh, onions...