Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-16, 10:45
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016

Quote:
Showing as part of Live Longer Wales. Newsreader Jamie Owen is going on a diet that goes directly against government healthy eating advice - and common sense. For the past 30 years we've been told the key to a healthy lifestyle is cutting out fat. However, as a nation we've got bigger - Jamie included. A controversial new report says the current government advice is making us bigger, and that the food industry is telling us what to eat. The report says that it isn't butter, milk and other fat that is to blame - the problem lies elsewhere. Join Jamie as he investigates these weighty issues and makes himself a guinea pig for a diet that aims to make us rethink the way we try to control out waistline.

https://youtu.be/9F8qXxjdh-4
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 17:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the link, RN. Jamie Owen spends 3 weeks on a low carb diet exploring the people for and against while he's doing this "experiment." What's striking is how many in the medical profession are dead certain that a low carb, high fat approach is extremely unhealthy and not sustainable. His doctor, who advised him against this experiment, but relented when he promised it was only for 3 weeks, was surprised that he lost weight, and shocked at the change in his cholesterol in a short 3 weeks. Of course, they simply measured cholesterol, but his doctor expected him to do very poorly in these health markers. There was no conclusion drawn in this exercise (what can you expect in 3 weeks?); however, he left open the door that with the history of obesity and diabetes, there had to be a better way than the diet recommended over the past 40 years. Zoe Harcombe and Asseem Malhotra were interviewed among other experts, both pro & con LCHF.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 14:47

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I watched it - thanks for the link!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 12:31

Plan: keto/paleo with IF 18/6
Stats: 215.0/198.6/175 Female 68
BF:yes
Progress: 41%

I had my cholesterol done before I got back into hardcore keto in June. My doctor gave me a prescription for statins. I just smiled and said thank you and told the pharmacist to put it in my file, that I would NEVER be filling it. Her eyebrow went up lol. One day they will know the truth...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I have never measured anything below normal BP (always over 120/80) since I was 19. 2 weeks ago, 109/77. LCHF works spectacularly well and if anything, the shocking thing is how quick and easy and doable it is. Dont take no will power, if you got no cravings. I am also IF'ing, and today I did a 48 hour. Up from the 24 hour for the last 29 days. I'll try a 60 hour now, and I'll stay ~ 60 a few weeks I think, till I get to 158.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 20:05

Plan: Non specific
Stats: 189/157.8/137 Female 66 inches
BF:37.8%/27?/23
Progress: 60%

Great video! Surprised he didn't touch on the economics of why the government may be pushing a high carb diet. Here in the US...can you imagine what would happen to our economy if people laid off the corn and grain?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 22:42

Plan: keto
Stats: 193.2/186.8/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for sharing!!! Great vid.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-16, 07:45

Plan: <30 total carbs
Stats: 216/183/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

This looks great. I'm going to watch the whole thing when I have time.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-16, 05:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's not just the carbs. It's the processing.

Prior to WWII, (and the need for K Rations, which Keys invented) the closest there was to processed food was canning and freezing it. Now, the stuff is pulped and extruded and chemicalized. Judging from our family's testing with a blood sugar meter, there's little difference between salisbury steak with gravy and mashed potatoes, and Pixy Stix.