Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 21:18

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%
Default I have not lifted in about3.5 months...Need help!

So, life got busy and has recently started to suck (sorry) real bad. I was on a pretty good schedule about 3 months ago- squatting (mostly overhead), benching, doing bodyweight exercises, jogging, and my beloved kettlebells...But at this point I'm so off track that I'm finding it hard to start again. I feel so crappy! I've lost a lot of weight and know that some of it has been muscle (i'm not looking forward to seeing what I can deadlift!!! No Bueno!!!) I very much like fitting into small clothing sizes- which is pretty much one of the only things that's making me happy these days...But I miss my everyday strength.
Any tips on getting back into gear? It can be so hard sometimes...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 23:18
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%
Cool Ladies of Fitness...

Hi Lilli - I found my motivation in my magazines...

Looking at pictures of Cory Everson, Monica Brant, Timea Majorova, Lena Johansson, Amanda Blank, Jamie Eason & many others. Dedicated, hardworking, confident, beautiful women that I want to model myself after. I'm already eating right! Turning 41 today, I'm going to treat myself to a 3mo Golds package. I usually workout at home, but am limited by my equipment. This should be the 'kick in the butt' that I need.

Hope you find your motivation! ~Cheryl Ann
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 07:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi lilli. Magazines are good motivators, good suggestion Cheryl Ann.

When I've taken time off, I ALWAYS have to play mind games with myself. I'll just plan to go do the exercises I like doing. I NEVER try to imagine myself squatting or any of the BIG exercises. I just start back with moderate weights, and exercises that are fun. After about 2 days I'm usually back in the mindset I was in when I took time off. I always figure it'll take a couple of weeks, but it never takes that long. Anyway, that's what works for me.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 12:18

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

For me, I have two barbells in the garage that stay loaded with about 75-80% of my 1RM for deadlifts and shoulder presses. Everytime I walk past them, I do 1-3 reps then go on about my business. It varies a lot for each day and I've learned not to worry about it over the years. This allows me to at least maintain without spending much time with the iron. The kettlebells find their way back in as well.

Somedays, I may only get one set and other days I may get five. It requires no warming up.

I've done this with kettlebell snatches and pull-ups also.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-07, 05:57
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Good advice! I do something similar to Deb--when restarting, I just keep it to exercises I like, nothing too heavy, and a short, simple routine. Full body, just 2 or 3 exercises for 2-3 sets, 5-8 reps.

The OTHER important thing is to make sure my eats are on track. Usually, when my lifting is neglected, it goes hand in hand with bad eating habits. Not saying this is you! But when this happens to me, I've found that sticking to a proper eating plan (with lost of good veggies and a little fruit, maybe) makes me feel good, in control, and then the energy comes. This makes working out more appealing and easier.