Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 13:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Dr. Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet -- What are you eating?

Ok, I'm getting a little weird with my food now. I now realize I'm supposed to be eating more eggs so I acutally put an egg on my no-bread reuben. Heh! It didn't quite cook under the broiler... technique needs work. But I truly didn't taste it with all the mayo, mustard and sauerkraut in there.

I invented something that reminds me of peanut butter nougat... or a payday bar:

2 Oz Greek Yogurt (mine is greek yogurt cheese, extra, extra fat and super thick)
.5-1 oz peanut butter
Da Vince Vanilla syrup to taste

Mix well... oh me oh my.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 13:55

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Usually for breakfast I eat 2 egg yolks and 2 strips bacon and tomatoes work well with that. Greek yogurtl, cheese and maybe a few berries occasionally.

For lunch I make cream vegetable soups from scratch. Or the regular chicken, tuna, shrimp, ham, or turkey salads with diced celery, onions and pickles.

Supper I saute meat with onions, mushrooms, bell peppers to add carbs. Then I can add salads or extra veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, etc. If I have fish I usually make cold slaw.

Snacks can include beef jerky, cheese, nuts depending on what I need to fill up my ratios and/or if I get hungry or not.

My menus are very simple but they work for me and for some reason I don't get bored like I did when I ate almost zero carb.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 14:49
Experimenter

BF:

Are you able to stay within your protein limit with all that meat? I find I'm having a hard time even including a few strips of bacon.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 18:05

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Nancy, I find I have to be creative to stay within my protein ranges - especially since I'm counting the protein in veggies/carbs/dairy etc.

Brekkie today: 100 gms greek yogurt, 50 gms mascarpone, 50 gms raspberries/blackberries, 1 Splenda

Lunch yesterday: raw veggies (peppers,cukes,celery) w/dip of 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/8 cup mayo, 2 TBSP hot sauce, chili seasoning

Lunch today: egg salad (1 egg + 1 yolk + 1 TBSP mayo) on 2 ryvita crackers
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 19:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/163/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Small piece of bread with peanut butter
Cream cheese and egg pancake fried in bacon grease, topped with butter and SF maple syrup
A few french fries with lots of ranch dressing
Bacon
Bunless cheese burger with side of mayo
Green beans and bacon sauteed in butter

I did pretty good with my ranges today if I subtract plant protein.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 19:58

Plan: Atkins / High-Fat
Stats: 168/149/138 Female 5' 8"
BF:size: 12/10/8
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I invented something that reminds me of peanut butter nougat... or a payday bar:

2 Oz Greek Yogurt (mine is greek yogurt cheese, extra, extra fat and super thick)
.5-1 oz peanut butter
Da Vince Vanilla syrup to taste

I threw together something similar the other day: equal parts PB and coconut oil (I used 1 Tbs each), with a dash of SF vanilla syrup. I just stirred it all together at room temperature (the PB was chilled, but the CO still mixed in smoothly). It's super rich and yummy. I'm not eating dairy right now, but normally I'm *obsessed* with strained yogurt...ahh, lucky you!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/163/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_kid
I threw together something similar the other day: equal parts PB and coconut oil (I used 1 Tbs each), with a dash of SF vanilla syrup. I just stirred it all together at room temperature (the PB was chilled, but the CO still mixed in smoothly). It's super rich and yummy. I'm not eating dairy right now, but normally I'm *obsessed* with strained yogurt...ahh, lucky you!

Must try this!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 00:38

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR
Nancy, I find I have to be creative to stay within my protein ranges - especially since I'm counting the protein in veggies/carbs/dairy etc.

Brekkie today: 100 gms greek yogurt, 50 gms mascarpone, 50 gms raspberries/blackberries, 1 Splenda

Lunch yesterday: raw veggies (peppers,cukes,celery) w/dip of 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/8 cup mayo, 2 TBSP hot sauce, chili seasoning

Lunch today: egg salad (1 egg + 1 yolk + 1 TBSP mayo) on 2 ryvita crackers

Are you feeling well and have enough energy? Seems so little food, I would starve. Do you always have the same breakfast or have other breakfasts to suggest? How do you make the hot sauce?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 01:07

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

oh, that's just a few examples of my individual meals - not a daily menu. I actually am feeling great following the Dr. K plan! And, my 'philosophy', if you want to call it that, is that I'm less concerned with eating the specific foods that Dr. K outlines and more concerned with keeping my protein/carbs to the correct levels. I'm also working to keep my fat up - but am hopeful, from all I've read, that by decreasing my protein I will move from this stall. As I only weigh monthly, the jury is still out but I have a high level of belief that this plan will work for me. It just simply makes sense.

I've been posting my complete menus for the last 15 days (since I started this WOE) on my menu blog (see address in signature). My average calories per day have actually been higher than I was eating before starting Dr. K's plan. My protein now is 1/2 to 1/3 of what I previously was eating and my carbs about double what I was eating.

The hot sauce is a commercial one - I've used both a hot wing sauce and a chipotle sauce but I think anything that adds a bit of spice would work - even just tabasco sauce. Zero carb/protein. We actually buy it from a USA food store here in Oz.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins '72
Stats: 180/166.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 22%

I eat mostly eggs, canned mackerel/tuna/sardines in oil, some pork, beef and bacon, olive oil, mayo, salads, tea/herbal tea, cream...

I tend to eat only lunch and dinner and don't get really hungry. Often I don't meet the carb requirement and sometimes go past the fat one. I do best on a repetitive menu because it's easier to forget about food. I don't feel deprived from the lesser amounts of protein (52 g allowed).

Typical day:

B: 20 oz coffee + 4 tbsp full-fat cream
L: 2-3 eggs hard-boiled or fried or omelet with mushrooms/onions, bacon, mayo
D: mackerel with salad, pickles, mayo/olive oil
Lots of tea throughout the day
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:41

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR

Gee, I don't think I'd *ever* be able to sustain this if I counted the vegetable protein. Even just counting the dairy, eggs and meat it is hard to stay low enough, though I'm managing.

Sample menus? Well here is yesterday:

Breakfast:
FAGE Greek Yogurt (full-fat, extra thick, and creamy)
1/3 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup pine nuts

Lunch:
2/3 cup creamed spinach (mostly spinach with some heavy cream, a little diced onion, and a little shredded cheese)
3 oz can of smoked oyters in olive oil (ate the oysters *and* the oil)

Snack: 1 HB egg

Dinner:
smallish salad made from
1 cup arugula (all I had left) with a little green onion and heart of palm, to which I added
1 tsp real bacon bits
1.5 oz chopped walnuts
1 3/8 oz deli ham
5/8 oz cheddar cheese
and topped with some homemade mayo mixed wih some coconut oil, sesame tahini and a bit of soy sauce

I hit all my protein/net carb/fat numbers numbers as long as I counted only the animal protein, and it came to about 2000 calories, FWIW. I was still hungry all day though.

Today so far I have had for breakfast:
omelet with mozzarella cheese (chose mozza as it's lower protein than my usual swiss)

Lunch will be another can of smoked oysters along with the last of my leftover creamed spinach, about a 1/2 cup of it left now.

For dinners I usually come home, enter my foods I've eaten already into Lifeform and see what amounts of macronutrients I still need, and then plan dinner.

One of my fave "sweet treats" = melt some sugar-free baker's chocolate with coconut oil and then some almond butter or sesame tahini (no peanut butter as I avoid legumes), and big splash of DaVinci SF syrup. Pour into paper cupcake liners and allow to cool and harden. Yum.

Last edited by Merpig : Thu, Apr-16-09 at 13:17.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 08:28

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Gee, I don't think I'd *ever* be able to sustain this if I counted the vegetable protein. Even just counting the dairy, eggs and meat it is hard to stay low enough, though I'm managing.

Most vegetables have negligible protein, I think... wait, wow! The USDA site says 2/3 cup spinach contains three and a half grams of protein! The couple of vegetables I looked at all had about 80% as much protein as "carbs by difference."

Quote:
I hit all my protein/net carb/fat numbers numbers as long as I counted only the animal protein, and it came to about 2000 calories, FWIW. I was still hungry all day though.

That's why I'm not sure I could do this diet. With so little protein AND less fat at the beginning, I think I'd starve. And that's not something I'm willing to do.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 09:28
Experimenter

BF:

Mike, you don't have to start with less fat if you're not overweight.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 10:30

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Here is an awesome recipe for beef marrow, roasted. I watched the Bourdain episode where he went and ate at Fergus's restaurant and I salivated the entire time. Yummo!!!!! For those of you trying to avoid dairy and and dairy products, it might be beneficial to eat your fat from animals instead of animal milks and the like, if you can cotton the difference. LOL

Cook the Book: Roast Bone Marrow and Parsley Salad, Anthony Bourdain's Last Supper

Posted by Adam Kuban, March 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM

The first recipe out of the gate this week is from a Serious Eats favorite, Anthony Bourdain, whose last meal would take place at St. John, prepared by the restaurant's proprietor, Fergus Henderson. When we talked to him last year, he also listed this dish as his favorite comfort food.

Roast Bone Marrow and Parsley Salad

- serves 3 -
Adapted from My Last Supper by Melanie Dunea.
Ingredients

12 three-inch (7 1/2-centimeter) pieces veal marrowbone
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked from stems
2 shallots, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons (30 grams) capers
2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Toasted bread, for serving
Procedure

1. Prepare the bones: Put the bones in an ovenproof frying pan or roasting pan; place in a 450°F (230°C) oven. Depending on bone thickness, roasting should take about 20 minutes. You're looking for loose and giving marrow, but marrow that's not yet melted away.

2. Prepare the parsley salad: While bones are roasting, lightly chop the parsley and mix it with the shallots and capers. Just before serving, dress salad with the olive oil and lemon juice; salt and pepper to taste.

3. Serve the dish: Don't completely season this dish before serving; let the diner do the last-minute seasoning. To eat, scrape the marrow from the bone onto the toast; season it with coarse sea salt. Place a pinch of parsley salad on top; eat immediately.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ain-recipe.html

I put the link in because the comments afterward said that some just use regular ol' beef bones with marrow. I went browsing yesterday and I have to say that I cam able to get a surprising variety of unusual meat cuts and offal. I was amazed that once I started looking, what was available. I even found an entire pig's head... might be time to dig up a head cheese recipe. LOL

Last edited by articshark : Thu, Apr-16-09 at 14:15.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 12:44

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Are you able to stay within your protein limit with all that meat? I find I'm having a hard time even including a few strips of bacon.

If you notice, the only meat I have is 2 strips bacon, some meat salad at lunch and a small piece of meat sauteed at supper. There is not a lot of cheese and no peanut butter. The rest is all butter, cream and vegetables. I don't use cheese sauces and most of the time don't eat the nuts.