Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 06:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 231.8/231.8/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbykitty
I'm shocked at how many kids are allowed to drink soda at a young age. My almost 4 year old knows he has 2 choices for drink, milk or water. I hate that when we go out to eat all the other kids order sodas, even the waiters ask him if he wants sprite or chocolate milk. I dread the day that he starts to realize I'm treating him differently. . . .

All I can say is, my now 15 year old and 9 year old had the same choices as your 4 year old. Stand your ground...your child will learn what is normal for your family. My kids don't blink an eye, never did: they knew what to ask for at restaurants. Now that they are older, occasionally they are allowed soda.

Many years ago, when my oldest was young, we used to get food assistance tickets, and I could buy juice, the "good" juice: he wouldn't drink it...he would hand it back to me and take his cup with water or milk!

Like I said: stand your ground. You don't treat him differently, you treat him better!

2MM
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 06:55

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

It's not just that kids and teenagers are allowed to have a soda, it is that they are literally drinking BUCKETS of soda every day! I am totally convinced to this day that my body was metobolically damaged at a young age by the amount of soda I drank as a kid. We always had a 3 liter bottle of coke on the counter and that was all I ever drank. I was chubby kid and only got thin when I started playing volleyball in high school. I was pretty serious about it, and the coach thought that sugar affected performance, so he told me to stop drink pop. I dropped all my "baby fat" immediately. It was incredible.

BTW, my mom was a little worried that I was chubby, so she bought fat-free cheese, mayo, etc, but decided that coke was okay because it had no fat in it. Sigh.

Now if I drink a coke I practically gag on its sweetness. Really, the only word I can come up with to describe how most Americans consume soft drinks is "vulgar." It is just absolutely disgusting. I was recently in Paris and the people there sat down at cafe and drank a small coke out of glass bottle while have a conversation with a friend. Chances are good, that was the only coke they had that day too. In Texas people go to the gas station, get a huge 44 oz coke and carry it around with them throughout the day. Oh and chances are good that the fridge at home is also stocked with soft drinks.

If someone asked me what the biggest health destroyer is in America, I would instantly answer "soda." I bet if you polled all the fat teenagers you see, you find that they are consuming cokes hand over fist.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 07:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlovely
If someone asked me what the biggest health destroyer is in America, I would instantly answer "soda." I bet if you polled all the fat teenagers you see, you find that they are consuming cokes hand over fist.

A thousand times YES.

I went to college twice, twenty years apart.

In the late seventies, sodas were around, but they were smaller and mostly at mealtime.

In the late nineties, every single person below the age of 25 had a giant soda bottle glued to their hand 24/7.

Remember, Gary Taubes says, "Liquid forms of sugar, such as soda, are the fastest way to get fat."
  #64   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 07:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Werebear, I think you bring up another good point - it is not just that we are drinking tons of soda, it is that we feel the need to have a beverage with us at all times. What is up with that? I really don't get it. I have lived in Europe for the past year and you just don't see that here. People do drink and eat on the go, but bringing a coke or a starbucks drink to lecture all the damn time is not normal.

I graduate college in 2004 and it used to irritate me to no end when the person next to me in class was eating and drinking. Okay, I am not against a coffee at an 8 am lecture, or having a few sips from a water bottle. What I am talking about is gulping down a giant coke while simultaneously eating a bag of doritos and then finishing it with a snickers bar. I guess because these are considered "snack foods" it is acceptable to eat them any time, any place. And this was not a rare thing to see - I saw it all the time.

BTW, I think it is simply bad manners to be noshing the whole time the professor is giving his lecture. Just eat during mealtimes at the time and place set aside for mealtimes. I find it very hard to believe that an adult human cannot make through a 50 minute lecture without eating or drinking.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 11:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 173/171/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Interesting. I just had a conversation with my friend's 11 year old daughter telling her that the school years might be miserable but that all the cool kids end up losers and all the nerds end up successful. At least that's how it was in my school. I wonder if your mom was a cool kid?

I just had to jump on here while at work bc I realized that what I said could have been interpreted the wrong way. Wow, I was not trying in any way to say your mom was a loser, just that maybe she was one that had a great time in HS but maybe not so much now (which is why she was saying HS was the best time in her life).

Off to read the rest of the replies to see if anyone called me out on it.
Sorry!!!
  #66   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 17:11

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
I'm shocked at how many kids are allowed to drink soda at a young age. My almost 4 year old knows he has 2 choices for drink, milk or water. I hate that when we go out to eat all the other kids order sodas, even the waiters ask him if he wants sprite or chocolate milk. I dread the day that he starts to realize I'm treating him differently. . . .

I never had soda much as a kid, my metabolism was damaged by prolific steroid use for asthma.

However, we do the water (with lime or lemon) or watered down organic juice here (2oz juice to 4 oz water once a day) and no soda at all for our toddler.

And she's still a chunk anyway.

But aside from us two anomalies over here, yes soda is evil incarnate. Followed by fruit juice.

F
  #67   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 17:57

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Interesting. I just had a conversation with my friend's 11 year old daughter telling her that the school years might be miserable but that all the cool kids end up losers and all the nerds end up successful. At least that's how it was in my school. I wonder if your mom was a cool kid?
Yeah, my mom was definitely a cool kid. Very popular, lots of boyfriends. In her high school class of 500+ she was voted: Most Popular, Most Cheerful, Best Personality, Class Comedian and Class Artist.

However didn't actually end up a loser either - though there certainly were some nerdy kids in her class who later went on to much better things.

I was surprised to run into one of the "really popular girls" at a high school reunion, who told me how much she had admired *me* in high school. Me? The total bookworm nerd? Miss total introvert?

"You always walked through the school hallways with a fast stride", she told me, "and with your head up high like you were proud of yourself, and knew where you were going. And I had no idea where I was going."

And yet I walked that way as I was trying to get through the hallways fast before people would have time to ridicule me and/or make fun of me.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 03:24

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

This is such an interesting discussion!

I read an article last night by Taubes that I somehow managed to miss, it seems pretty relevant to the discussion here if anyone else wants to have a read.

Is Sugar Toxic?

I would agree that children are getting fatter, younger. In my experience at least, I was the fat girl in first school, then middle school there was only one other girl who could be considered "chubby" at the least. Then in secondary school there was maybe 4 of us in the whole yeargroup (about 200+ kids?).
  #69   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 04:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I am very happy to say I did not peak in high school.

In my experience, there is a small group with the right attributes to be popular; and everyone else is in a state of misery. Fortunately, this is a hothouse atmosphere that has no relation to the real world.

The people who say it was the best years of their lives are often talking about the lack of responsibility. For me, the ability to order my own life has been a boon; the lack of this was what made my teenage years such a torment.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 06:57

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlovely
I'm sure it's one of the answers. But like everything else in life it seems, only part of the problem. I was one of those skinny kids who blossomed into a chubby teenager when I hit puberty, and I never ever drank soda. It just was not even on my radar map - until my teens when I discovered diet Tab, and used to drink diet Tab exclusively if I had an opportunity to have a soda.