Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 09:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Chicken With Artichokes

I came up with a new way to cook skinless boneless chicken breast last night. My husband and 4 year old daughter raved about it.
INGREDIENTS:
3 skinless boneless chicken breast
6 oz marinated artichoke hearts
3 oz dry white wine
6 oz marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
salt
pepper
thyme
2 tbs butter

season the breasts on both sides with salt, pepper and thyme. Melt butter in med hot skillet. add breasts and brown lightly on both sides, turning frequently for about 10 minutes. Deglaze skillet with the wine. Reduce this untill almost gone. add the artichokes and cream. reduce this by half.

This recipe serves 3 but would be easy to increase.
per serving the breakdown is as follows:
cal- 231
fat- 14 g
carb- 3 g
fiber- 2 g
protien- 19 g

My husband said it was great and he says he doesnt even like artichokes. I dont even think he knew what they were considering they were chopped. I serve this with a Romaine salad w/ ceasar dressing and 5 brussel sprouts each.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 03:00

Plan: Somersizer
Stats: 270/175/165
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi Nanci ~ This looks absolutely delicious and I know we'll love it. Can you please post how much cream to use? Thanks so much! *Ü*
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:21

BF:
Default OOPS

Oh dear...........I forgot the cream. I also forgot it in fitday when I input the ingredients. I will edit the original with all the correct stat. Sorry for the inconvienience.

nanci
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:29

BF:
Default computers are your friend????

I cant edit the original so here is the update. to the ingredients listed above, I used 2 oz heavy cream per chicken breast. the updated nutritional breakdown (with the cream this time) is as follows:
per serving
cal- 537
fat- 48 g
carb- 4 g
fiber- 2 g
protien- 20 g

also, if you wanted to make more servings, for each breast use 2 more oz of artichokes and 2 more oz cream. You wont have to increase the butter or wine.

I told my hubbie that he ate artichokes the other night and he nearly choked me.........ha, ha. He then requested that I make this again on the weekend.

Nanci
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 11:41

Plan: Somersizer
Stats: 270/175/165
BF:
Progress: 90%

Thanks Nanci! I buy the marinated artichokes by the half gallon jars at Costco - - yeah, we love 'em here! I'll make this very soon, I've got all the ingredients on hand. Mmmm! *Ü*
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 15:51

Stats: 218/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%

I made this recipe a few nights ago and it was wonderful. My husband really liked it and it was so easy to make.

JoAnn
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/174/115
BF:
Progress: 31%
Question sounds like chicken lemon scallopini

I tried this lemon chicken scallopini the other day at Fridays and i looked up the recipe from a copy cat site and the recipe they gave sounds just like this, but it had some lemon juice in it and it had capers (think i will leave them out). I will try this but add some lemon juice and will let you know how it turns out. I too HATE artichokes but for some reason when cooked, they get a different flavor. Not being a wine drinker though, what kind of white wine do you use?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 11:59

BF:
Default WINE

I use a dry white wine for my dish. I think it is a chardonay. I dont know too much about wine , so I just hit and miss until I find one that I like. Try a chardonayor a pinot grigio.......both dry and nice. Really, if you have a personal preference, use that.

The addition of the lemon juice sounds good. let me know how it is..........It will also help to thicken the cream!!! good luck.

Nanci