Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 17:57

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Thanks Liftnlady,

That is close to my strategy regarding the last two weeks of training, however, I don't carbo-load. Never have taken in extra carbs before, during or after any of my endurance events. My father didn't either. I'm low-carb, true-blue.

I don't know about AminoVital? It that a low-carb protein supplement? I do take low-carb creatine and that does a lot of the things that you mention.

J.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Tue, Jun-08-04 at 18:05.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

no it is an amino acid powder that you add to fluids. It helps with supplying the aminos to your muscles during endurance events so you do not catabolize muscle...also significantly speeds recovery. You can google search it...great stuff

good luck
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 11:20

For anyone who's interested, here's the rest of my plan:

In April and May, cycling was the first priority of my workouts. I have averaged 2 hours per week of cycling during April and May. I also participated in 9 quarter-century rides, and did four or five 20-mile rides on my own. I was new to cycling and part of this was learning. I also did a couple hours of mountain biking every Sunday morning.

In June, kayaking will be the first priority of my workouts and running will be the second priority. In June, I will average 10 hours per week of kayaking, for 3 weeks; and 2 hours per week of running. I am new to kayaking and most of this is learning time. My kayaking will include two long-distance kayak trips of 5 hours each.

I haven't ever been a runner, so I'll have to undergo a learning curve on that, too. My running will include four 5K runs. Regarding the cycling, I will reduce, but continue along with 2 hours per week of cycling. I will also participate in a half-century ride that should take around 5 hours. I will also do one or two 25-mile rides on my own. One of the five hour kayaking trips is the day after the half-century ride.

In July, I will be balancing the running, kayaking and cycling for my workouts. In July, I will train for 2.5 - 3 hours per week of running; 5 hours per week of kayaking, for 3 weeks; and 2 hours per week of cycling, for 3 weeks. I will also participate in 2 quarter-century rides. My running will include six long-distance runs of between 5K and 7.5K in length. Two of my 5K runs are the day after the two quarter-century rides.

I have six "Bricks" worked into my training plan: 2 light intensity Bricks, 1 high intensity Brick, 1 medium intensity Brick, and then 2 light intensity Bricks leading up to the weekend before the triathlon.

J.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Wed, Jun-09-04 at 15:45.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 11:54
The Spandex Killer

Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Boy, it sounds like you're all over it! I was significanty less organized getting ready for my tri -- but then, I stopped and took pictures during all segments so I wasn't exactly trying to be super competive. I just wanted to have fun and challenge myself -- and I did. It is a great experience.

The moment you cross the finish line is really wonderful, everybody is cheering for you and there is usually some little kid right there waiting to hand you a cup of water -- suddenly you feel like a professional athlete!

And afterwards, the ones I've been to serve a big free breakfast -- eggs, bacon, sausage -- yum! Any event that ends up with a meal is cool with me!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 11:56

This Triathlon training is starting to "Kick my butt". Only two weeks to go!

For you cyclists, I went "Clipless" for the first time this weekend. I know, it's about time, but I have been sharing my bike with my wife up until now, just bought her a bike of her own.

ANYWAY, I was surprised at how much of a "Hamstrings" workout, my bike ride became when I went clipless [translation: a special bike shoe with a recessed cleat that mechanically attaches to the bicycle's pedals].

I think this could be good for Triathlete's, because for me, when I run, it's more of a quad workout. So, maybe riding clipless could spare my quads somewhat until the running portion of the tri.

Only downside that I see is that I would have to change shoes when I switch from cycling to running. I sure wouldn't want to run very far in those clipless shoes!

J.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 12:00
Registered Member

make sure you get fitted on your bike for the clipless pedals it helps out with where you want to power to come from when pedaling...there is a whole science behind it...and when you get really good you will leave the shoes on the bike and slip in and off as you ride...makes for a faster transition.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 12:13

Yanno,

I did start looking into AminoVital after you mentioned it. I saw it advertized in a magazine and asked about it at GNC. They have never heard of it. So, I need to ask you: Where can I get some to try it?

I did adjust my training schedule to mostly match what you have been saying. I haven't updated this thread or my journal, yet.

I did a hilly 5K run on Friday, a very hilly 100K bike ride on Saturday (the Bike for Breath Peninsula Ride), and another hilly 5K run on Sunday (Run to the Lake, Lake Chabot). What surprised me was the Hamstring workout, like I mentioned above.

J.

P.S. It sounds like we used to be neighbors, I'll be running the Dublin Jail-Break Run on Sunday. Dublin has really grown in the past few years!

P.S.S. I saw your gallery pics, you look all grown up to me!

P.S.S.S. Night Ranger shot the lights out!, on Friday! Great Show!

Last edited by loCarbJ : Mon, Jul-12-04 at 12:24.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

I second what liftnlady said. You really should get fitted if you haven't already. Since clipless pedals aren't quite as forgiving using them without being fitted can lead to injuries.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 12:23
Registered Member

J...the amino vital I got free samples from the various tris we have gone to...actually quite generous at the Ralphs half ironman...gave us a whole box. You may have to go online to buy it or see if they have retailers in your area. It is great stuff and would be beneficial to you for recovery especially with all the riding and runs you do. A good resource for tri training is online at trainingbible.com, they are more geared for the swim, bike, run training but might have some useful info for you there as well. I would suggest that youlook into getting a bike or your bike fitted to you, if you and your wife are using the same bike I can guarantee you are not getting optimal power out of your rides as it is not set up to fit the rider...makes a huge difference..and as MLE says can lead to injury.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 12:34

You are right!

I was fitted for my new bike in March, and I bought my wife a new bike in May, and she was fitted for hers.

I was fitted for the clipless shoes, but I haven't brought the bike in to make sure I installed the pedals correctly, and to check that the alignment between the shoe and pedal is perfect. I'll be sure to get that done right away.

Thanks,

J.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 13:12

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
Only downside that I see is that I would have to change shoes when I switch from cycling to running. I sure wouldn't want to run very far in those clipless shoes!

J.
Oh Jeff, if you want to see real "downside", wait for your first swim/bike/run triathlon. The real transition thrill: taking off your wetsuit . (According my experience on most of the CA races there are volunteers to help with it.)

A little - cheap - help with your running shoes: to use fast laces. I always use them though I never in hurry to start running. The advantage: you never have to stop to retie, adjust it, even when your feet are slowly swelling up during long run. Different triathlete magazines, sites recommend this product.

Here is a website:
www.yankz.com

Good luck:

Eva
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 15:37

Thanks for the tip, Eva,

I don't know if I'll be doing any Swim/Bike/Run Triathlons. I don't really like swimming that much. I'll be in two triathlons this year, a 25 miler in Sacramento and a 50 miler in Lake Tahoe.

I don't think I'll need a wetsuit for Sacramento in late July!; but I might need one for Lake Tahoe in October. That water is VERY COLD!!

HEY!!! I just noticed that your signature line says that you just finished your first marathon last month!!! How was it?

J.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 17:15

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
Thanks for the tip, Eva,

I don't know if I'll be doing any Swim/Bike/Run Triathlons. I don't really like swimming that much. I'll be in two triathlons this year, a 25 miler in Sacramento and a 50 miler in Lake Tahoe.

I don't think I'll need a wetsuit for Sacramento in late July!; but I might need one for Lake Tahoe in October. That water is VERY COLD!!
Oh, I see. Here, in South CA the triathlon season starts in March - with a little colder water. Lake Tahoe - excellent choice. They have a spectacular marathon too. We are considering it next year if we are not lucky with the DC Marine Marathon lottery.

Quote:

HEY!!! I just noticed that your signature line says that you just finished your first marathon last month!!! How was it?
Full of energy :-) 4 hours 30 - a splendid personal record - I mean for a first timer ANY time is splended PR. (The top 20% of my age group.)
See our (DH and I) finish line pic in my gallery.

Here are is the details: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...137#post2312137

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Jul-12-04 at 18:02.