Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 12:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Yet another benefit of LC WOE?

I just had an experience that makes me think rapid healing is actually another benefit of LC.

One of my teeth became infected (I promise there will be NO gory details :lol and had to be extracted and replaced with a dental implant. My dentist performed the extraction last week and the periodontist installed the implant yesterday. Well, the periodontist commented that the extraction had healed very rapidly.

I hadn't thought about it, but there had been very little swelling or pain after the extraction and it did seem to feel rather quickly.

That started me thinking, so right then I looked at the finger I had cut while cooking the day before, and it was almost completely healed.

Then I remembered that the instructions the dentist gave me after the extraction included a statement that smoking, alcohol, and sugar would retard the healing process! Well, I don't smoke and I don't eat sugar, but I did have a gin and tonic this weekend.

And today I have no swelling and almost no pain from the implant.

So I'm wondering if dentists know something doctors don't about sugar or perhaps insulin and healing. After all, dentists do know that diabetics have awful problems with their teeth and gums.

Does this make sense? And has anyone else noticed this?

Karla
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:04
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/259.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

When my husband had major dental surgery last year, the dentist told him to cut out the Coke and the sugar. He's done quite well about the Coke anyways...when the dentist said this I said, "You can go low carb with me!" The dentist himself said that was a great idea, he himself ate no starchy carbs after 3 p.m.!

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:24

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default In order to heal

Your body needs adequate fat and protein to create new cells for healing. Makes sense to me. When I was on a nofat-highcarb diet (way back when) it took forever for even little cuts to heal, not anymore.

Others?
N
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 11:44

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default fingernails

Hi --

I'm not entirely certain this is related, but I've noticed that my fingernails and hair are growing much more quickly then they did before I began LCing it --

RA Vimala
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 18:24

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Not your imagination

When you get proper nutrition your body will repair, heal and grow itself more quickly.

It's a wonderful sign of good health. Great skin, hair, nails, faster healing. ENJOY.

N