Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 01:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/126/132
BF:
Progress: -200%
Question Eating too Much?

I will start out by saying that I just began the Atkins' diet yesterday. I am by no means overweight, but when I pinch my love handles, I get a little more fat than I want. I am just looking to lose 1-2 pounds of fat on this diet( or until I am satisfied with my waist). I know that how much you eat isn't that big of a factor on the atkins' diet, but I can't help but woner if I am eating too much. I know that I am probably not yet in ketosis, but I feel as if I am gaining fat around the waist region, and I'm guessing thats because ketosis has not yet started. Tell me if this sounds like too much to eat for a 19 year old 130 pound male who runs 40 miles a week.

Breakfast:
2-3 scrambled eggs, 2 hard boiled eggs, 4 slices of bacon

Snack:
Almond Brownie Atkins bar

Lunch:
2 cheeseburgers(served with full fat mayo and no bun) and a small salad(very little italian dressing)

Snack:
Can of chunck lite tuna with full fat mayo

Dinner:
15 chicken wings

Snack:
2 chedder brats(served with full fat mayo), 3 servings of pork rinds, 3 oz. mozzereala cheese

I stayed within the 20 gram limit, but I just can't help but wonder if I am eating too much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 01:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Do you feel satisfied but not stuffed? If so, then you're fine!

Where are the vegetables and salads that you are supposed to eat on induction?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 02:14

BF:
Default I guess

I feel satisfied, but I'm not too sure if I am stuffed. I don't eat to the point where it feels like I'm going to blow up. I know that I could be eating more, but I'm a little reluctant. I have a huge appetite. Two weekends ago(before atkins), in a two hour period I ate a large papa johns pepperoni pizza, a snickers bar, a honey bun, a caramel bar, 2 oatmeal raison cookies, and a box of gobstoppers. I'm estimating the damage on that one at about 3500-4000 calories(not bad for a 130 lb. guy). So I know that I can eat so much more than i did today, but i still feel like my stomach is bigger than when i started the diet.

And yes I admit, I probably should be getting a little more greens. I had about a cup and a half today, but I guess I get so caught up in the good food like eggs and bacon and cheeseburgers, and brats( oh how i love that stuff).

Does anyone have any testimonails that they ate a lot and still lost weight?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 08:53

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: I guess

Quote:
Originally posted by jescholler
Does anyone have any testimonails that they ate a lot and still lost weight?

Guidelines for calorie consumption are usually 10 - 12 times your body weight a day - this is the minimum requirement to satisfy your basal metabolic functioning - eating more is actually better for you.

If you'd like some testimonials take a look at KarenB's Journal - she recently increased her calories to over 2000 (she weighs around 175 lbs - but could be lower, she's shrinking quite fast ) and is still losing. At 172 lbs I regularly consume what I consider to be a lot of food and I have also been losing steadily.

If you do not feel 'stuffed' and are burning what you eat then I wouldnt worry about it. I would however take Karen's advice and add in more veggies. You might also want to take a look through the forum for information on Atkins Bars and LC Bars in general - as a rule they are not what they appear to be (A search would probably be the quickest route)

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 10:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I don't eat tons of food, but I do eat a lot of calories. I choose foods that are "calorically dense". I used to eat much more volume when I first started.

Low-carb eating will naturally suppress your hunger, so this is something to keep in mind. Keep calories up!

P.S. I'm not KarenB, I'm another Karen.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:28

BF:
Cool Thanks

Thank you guys for your advice. It turns out that I wasn't eating too much, and its good to go by the rule that if you are hungry you should eat. I've already lost 4 pounds in 4 days, but most of that is water weight. I've read some stuff that the Advantage bars aren't that good for induction, so I've decided to stay away from them. And I have been eating my veggies which help me take shits. Another thing I found that helps constipation is running. It never fails. Everytime I go for a run, I end up having to take a shit. Again, thanks for your advice.