Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169.2/137/149 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 159%

How many of the maintainers on this thread are still maintaining... ( just a little research for my journey)
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 11:47

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am. It's been three years for me. I tend to gain back a few temporary pounds with carb creep caused by magical thinking ("I can eat just a little of this and get away with it"), then I pull myself together and get rid of it. That seems to be my pattern.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 13:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbedd
How many of the maintainers on this thread are still maintaining... ( just a little research for my journey)

Me too. 8 1/2 yrs in maintenance.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 13:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:

I've technically been maintaining for about 10 years, altho three years ago, I thought I could handle a few bad carbs here and there - you know, the odd icecream, birthday cake, family meal....... and I slipped and almost lost control again. I went up by 20lbs, my arthritis, IBS and eczema returned !! So, I went back to induction and came back to the forum. I lost the 20lbs about a year ago and am maintaining again, in the knowledge that I can never eat bad carbs again. They are what alcohol is to a recovering alcoholic!!!! No wheat or sugar for me ever again!

Jo xxx
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 05:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I'm maintaining, will be four years this August. I too drift up over my line in the sand, 169, top number for a healthy BMI for me, but not much. My thighs still look heavy but nothing else, still fit in smaller clothes. Staying on this board, having a Local LC support group, Reading, reading reading LC and Paleo research! keeps me focused on my health improvements. Seasonal allergies, eczema, arthritis, etc all cured..why would I go back to eating wheat and sugar which obviously (now! In my 60s, slow learner!) caused these things?

I noticed we are the same height, age??, Bone structure?? (I have a heavy one) but maintaining 147 would be a constant struggle for me. We all have to find that healthy weight for our stage in life, amount of muscle and exercise, and maintain that...not a number we were in college. Just wondered if that is part of your question?

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-16-14 at 05:12.
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 06:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:

I lost the weight in six months. The almost-eleven-years since have been maintaining!
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 08:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I'm maintaining, will be four years this August. I too drift up over my line in the sand, 169, top number for a healthy BMI for me, but not much. My thighs still look heavy but nothing else, still fit in smaller clothes. Staying on this board, having a Local LC support group, Reading, reading reading LC and Paleo research! keeps me focused on my health improvements. Seasonal allergies, eczema, arthritis, etc all cured..why would I go back to eating wheat and sugar which obviously (now! In my 60s, slow learner!) caused these things?

I noticed we are the same height, age??, Bone structure?? (I have a heavy one) but maintaining 147 would be a constant struggle for me. We all have to find that healthy weight for our stage in life, amount of muscle and exercise, and maintain that...not a number we were in college. Just wondered if that is part of your question?

I am 59.....small boned.....I maintained 142 for years.....BUT that was in my early 40's to early 50's......149 for 2-3 yrs at a time after that..Im trying to let my body settle on a weight....I love how Im eating but I know exercise is my key to maintenance...Im not struggling at all....refined carbs are my kryptonite....my slippage has been when I thought I could occasionally eat junk...I cant...Im hoping Ive learned..this time..

My goal is to really glean from long term maintainers....their wisdom has resulted in LONG term lifestyle changes...I know how to lose weight...where Ive stumbled is in maintenance.....

please share your wisdom!!
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 08:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I lost the weight in six months. The almost-eleven-years since have been maintaining!

What are the keys to your success?
  #114   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 12:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 156/118/120 Female 65 inches
BF:36%/22%/18%
Progress: 106%
Default Still out there!

I'm still maintaining! I still eat low carb, I exercise, my health is excellent, and I love my lifestyle. Why the heck would I change anything?
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 12:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 156/118/120 Female 65 inches
BF:36%/22%/18%
Progress: 106%
Default Maintain a daily food/carb log

I don't know about others, but the key for me to having success for 5 years is that I keep a daily food log where I count carbs. Every day, except maybe on vacation. That is the only way to know that I'm really maintaining my carb intake where it needs to be for me in maintenance. I think the carb level that each maintainer has to have will vary by the individual, based on their metabolism, hormones, activity level, age, and so forth. Personally I stay between 40-60 grams per day and I do a ton of athletics.
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 06:09

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:

I have been maintaining for two years now, so I cannot claim to be an assured success yet. Keeping a food journal has surely helped me. I think the biggest help has been experimenting with all the foods I want to eat, so that I know how much of them I can eat and be satisfied by. By finding out which foods satisfy me, I was able to devise a maintenance diet that does not feel like a slimming diet. I never feel hungry, despite eating vastly less than I did before I lost my weight. So, to my surprise, there have been no crises.

I remember reading an article about long-term maintainers, which said that they are rare and tend also to be weird. I do not get the impression the maintainers on this forum are weird. But I do think we share a ruthless streak. You have to be really hard-nosed about maintainance to make it stick.
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 07:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinge
I remember reading an article about long-term maintainers, which said that they are rare and tend also to be weird. I do not get the impression the maintainers on this forum are weird. But I do think we share a ruthless streak. You have to be really hard-nosed about maintainance to make it stick.

Thanks for putting this into words. I too, think its true.
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 07:57

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Quote:
But I do think we share a ruthless streak. You have to be really hard-nosed about maintainance to make it stick.

Well said! We have to be ruthless with ourselves and with those around us who would sabotage us. I also keep a daily food diary, just jotting down the actual food consumed, not the carbs or calories. It keeps me honest with myself.
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 09:03

BF:

Quote:

This is something that struck me as very true..
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 10:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

According to my friends and work colleagues I'm weird! I have a weird diet and never eat cakes! I dont think I have a ruthless streak, I'm no different to anyone who has conquered an addiction. But thats how I maintain, I have overcome an addiction and I'm a recovering carbolholic

Jo xxx