Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 06:56

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Question Has anyone "rotated" between induction and OWL?

I did try to do a search, but it didn't come up with anything. (Rotate induction OWL). I'm considering rotating between induction and OWL. I do know Atkins discusses going back to induction if you've had a slip.
I'm somewhat concerned about doing it as I want to be able to maintain, and he stresses losing the last 10 lbs slowly. But, since I'm not there yet, I think I'll try induction for the two weeks again, then OWL. But, how long on OWL? A month? Before rotating back to induction.
I know I haven't been on this very long yet, but I feel like I've been eating too many carbs. I'm probably like that dancing lady that stayed on induction for a year! Although, I have been "sampling" some of the sugar free things we can have, and I have no doubt I've had days where it jumped more than 5 carbs. And I've had days where I've just plain cheated. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:01

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default I don't rotate but...

I don't necessarily rotate between the two, however, I kind of rotate on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes my carbs are under 20, sometimes they are closer to 50. But by varying them within the week, my daily average every week probably comes out between 20-30, which means I am close to induction levels.

I apologize because I didn't check how long you have been doing this, but I have found that now (after almost 5 months) I can tell what my body needs. Some days I eat meat and cheese like it is going out of style. Some days I eat salad morning, noon, and night. It really just depends on what my body is asking for. And the good part is, it is working. I am averaging right around 2 lbs per week. Granted, I have quite a bit of weight to lose, but it is coming off.

If I were to offer advice, and mind you, I am not an expert, I would say don't stress over the exact amount of carbs (remember, stress causes weight gain!) and just eat what you are supposed to. SF candies are okay here and there, but they should not be a part of your daily intake! I really like the approach in Atkins new book, Aktins for Life, because he categorizes foods by eat all the time, eat occassionally, and eat rarely. Seems logical to me.

HTH,

AMY
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:34
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have done a rotation back to Induction if I had a stall for longer than 3 weeks. It helped to kick start the weight loss again by the end of the 2 week Induction.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:34

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I am glad that I read your post

I have less than ten lbs to go and I have not been in a hurry to get there. It is good to know that I can take my time.I want to be at my goal by the end of summer or before. Afterward, however, I think that I will try to lose 5 or 10 more lbs brefore Thanksgiving.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:43

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

I'm in my last 15 pounds and weight loss is really slow, I've been staying at 20 grams of carbs and 1400-1600 calories since Feb. 3. Would it help to go up on my carbs and calories for a week or two then go back down to 20 grams again.

Lora
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:52

Stats: 162/144/127
BF:
Progress: 51%

I am also fairly close to goal and do a sort of induction/OWL hybrid so that I don't get bored. The weight loss has slowed because of it, and when I cheat, I peg the water weight and seem to have to lose the same four pounds over and over again... ah, the price I pay. I am ready to jumpstart the final phase of weight loss to reach my goal, so I will probably have to start counting the carbs again (I have been lazy of late).

Susanne
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:56

Default Thanks guys

I've also been re-reading Atkins New Diet Revolution. He does say to hop back on Induction if you find you've gained 5 lbs. (This is maintenance.) I'm looking at the fat fast and stuff, but think I'd rather plug along at this point. Either that, or like Amy, kind of a hybrid. What I think I will do, is when I've had a rather high carb day, I'll follow it with a low, low carb day.. I'll see how it goes for me.

Thanks again..
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 17:41

Default Well...

I've been reading some more, and I found some places where he discourages "running back to induction" every time you cheat. What he recommends for a cheat (I'm not talking about a bender that went on for weeks) is to drop your carbs 5 or 10 grams for a couple of days. He says it can become a form of yo-yo dieting, and that you haven't really learned the lifestyle. He also says it can cause your metabolism to develop a tolerance, and you may find it doesn't work as well anymore. He also discourages weekend benders and "right back to induction" on Monday. (What about one itty bitty meal out? No, I know, save it for my birthday.) Pgs 215-216 of DANDR. I have been "glued to my desk" the last week, due to my computer drive crashing. I've had to re-enter 4 months of work. And I found that very frustrating. Hopefully, when this week is up, I'll be caught up and can resume my walks...and hopefully the scale will resume its downward trend. Hey, it still DOESN'T say 203.