Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 14:56

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Supplements and T1s

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any supplements have been helpful for T1s with blood sugar control.
Any experiences?

V.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 06:57

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

I qualify as a antibody diabetic, have a high count of GAD65 abs, according to my test results I had in january 2529 of the bastards per liter blood, normal is below 9.5, the last test, more than 2 weeks ago, was 2219, quite an improvement, we'll see how many I have next time...

What I have noticed until now, I'm not injecting insulin:

Glukokine (Bitter Melon extract) gave me lows (the lowest being 2.9)

According to studies on autoimmune diabetic rodents, what helps, on them, are:

Zinc
Vanadium
Bitter Melon
Gymnema Sylvestre
Pine Bark
Neem leaves
Copalchi
Pata De Vaca
Calcium AEP / Calcium EAP
Magnesium
Alpha Lipoic Acid + biotin
Chromium Picolinate + biotin
Pectin

and many more...

A friend doc of my aunt, herself a diabetic, takes copalchi with excellent success. When asked about which type should take it, the answer was, it doesn't matter. Insulin dependent diabetics should adjust their insulin accordingly and inform their doc.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 07:20

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
I'm not injecting insulin:

I'm curious why you won't go this route. Doesn't injecting insulin make the pancreas less of a antibody target?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 11:02

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

A person has to evaluate supplements/herbs on an individual
basis always keeping in mind that there is no guarantee that
the contents of the supplement container is accurately depicted
by the label.
Eddie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 16:12

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
I'm curious why you won't go this route. Doesn't injecting insulin make the pancreas less of a antibody target?

I don't have insulin antibodies, so I don't see the point in injecting insulin for now. Actually I think that injecting insulin, damage would speed up, since more insulin would mean, at least to me, more antibodies, unless the injected insulin isn't recognized as such by the immune system, that could also be.

GAD65 antibodies can be triggered through several factors, when GAD65 reaches the bloodstream in masses, the body will react with antibodies to it. Somewhere I have an inflammation that is releasing this GAD65, I suspect my gum, for years it was bleeding and quite a mess, now, since I'm low carbing, it's pink and has an even texture, I also suspect that I'm gluten intolerant or allergic to it.

For the moment my control is excellent, between 4 and 7.5, can apparently even eat 40gr of carbs from lentils, without spiking.

But "not injecting" doesn't mean "not using it". I'm rubbing it into my nose, will follow the INIT II protocol, it looks like this TH1-TH2 shift isn't any fantasy, in contrast to hypothesis like the honeymoon period, that are ideas founded in mere observation, I still haven't found a scientifically sound explanation for it. Maybe someone could explain.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 01:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
A person has to evaluate supplements/herbs on an individual
basis always keeping in mind that there is no guarantee that
the contents of the supplement container is accurately depicted
by the label.
Eddie
Or they could use a site like Consumerlabs that provides independent analysis of supplements and reports publicly on their findings. Most contain what they say on the label.

If you followed Dr Davis of the Heartscanblog you would be aware of the Vitamin D2 Ripp-off

and the utterly disgraceful Lovaza scam is utter nonsense.

Do you work for the pharmaceutical industry?

These are the supplements I would suggest for someone with diabetes. and for most people who want to stay healthy.

Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol sufficient to raise 25(OH)D above 60ng 150nmol/l (probably 5000~6000iu for someone above lat 40)
Magnesium around 600mg daily
Omega 3 at least 1.5g daily EPA+DHA
Acetyl L Carnitine
Chromium
Alpha~Lipoic Acid
Vitamin K2

I would also suggest drinking Green Tea as your main beverage.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Wed, Apr-01-09 at 02:02.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 05:09

BF:

Hutch
I take vitamin D3.
About consumerlabs:
I have been a member for 2 years.
They are somewhat useful.
Unfortunately,they don't test a lot of herbs like Gymnema Sylvestre.
Some info is better than no info.
Cheers
Eddie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 14:31

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson[/B
[/url]

These are the supplements I would suggest for someone with diabetes. and for most people who want to stay healthy.

Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol sufficient to raise 25(OH)D above 60ng 150nmol/l (probably 5000~6000iu for someone above lat 40)
Magnesium around 600mg daily
Omega 3 at least 1.5g daily EPA+DHA
Acetyl L Carnitine
Chromium
Alpha~Lipoic Acid
Vitamin K2

I would also suggest drinking Green Tea as your main beverage.

Hutchison I take most of these supplements now but I've never taken chromium before. Wondering what type because aren't there different forms available? I am not taking ALA. Thought about Insulow but I think I'm going to try the gymnema first and see if it lowers by glucose. I've used it as an appetite suppressant before I found out I was prediabetic but never tested back then. It did work well to take away my hunger.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 18:23

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are there any T1s on Insulin that might speak to my question?
V
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 03:15
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry the link in previous post didn't work.
Here is a working link to the Supplements
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

don't know why the one above didn't work.

Comparing metabolic effects of six different commercial trivalent chromium compounds.In conclusion, while all the trivalent chromium compounds tested seem safe, only three enhanced insulin sensitivity ( polynicotinate, chelavite, and picolinate) and only two decreased systolic blood pressure significantly ( polynicotinate and picolinate). Furthermore, both polynicotinate and picolinate were protective in lessening free radical formation and DNA damage in the liver and kidneys.

Which is why I use Now Foods, Chromemate, 180 Capsules Code ~~~~~~ $5 introductory discount .
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 06:17

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Furthermore, both polynicotinate and picolinate were protective in lessening free radical formation and DNA damage in the liver and kidneys.

Hutch, don't you mean:

polynicotinate and picolinate

Your emphasis seems a little biased toward what you're taking. Your link shows there is a warning for diabetics as your pill contains rice, flour and gelatin.

by the way: I take both. my polynicotinate is 267 mcg in a multivitamin made for diabetes control and my picolinate is 200 mcg per day in a solo pill........

I'm not picking on you, it's just lately everything and everyone makes me see hilarity of it all......... I'm not sure if it is us, or if it is medical science, but somewhere in all of this there is humor to be found.......
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 06:38

BF:

Without humor,we would just be dull diabetics.
Long live mirth!
Eddie
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 02:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Your emphasis seems a little biased toward what you're taking.
If you followed the links and read the abstract I pointed to
you will see that in one of the studies discussed Results demonstrated that only chelavite and NBC improved insulin sensitivity, and only polynicotinate decreased systolic blood pressure (SBP) significantly.
Although in the conclusion they state picolinate is equivalent it is possible that as the first study did not show picolinate improved insulin sensitivy that it is not as effective as polynicotinate.
Quote:
Your link shows there is a warning for diabetics as your pill contains rice, flour and gelatin.
Indeed the warning culture is such that we are warned about many things that may not be of any concern. It is a question of proportion, does the benefit outweigh the risk? Only trial and error will find what works best for you.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 05:58

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Only trial and error will find what works best for you.

That's about the most accurate statement anyone could make about anything we do to improve our health, regardless of how many statements of proven scientific studies to support a claim being made....

Through my trials and errors I've learned that chromium in either version is not enough to make any significant improvements, but as part of a continued regiment of multi-supplements intake, it is a possibility that it has some benefit.....
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
That's about the most accurate statement anyone could make about anything we do to improve our health, regardless of how many statements of proven scientific studies to support a claim being made....

Through my trials and errors I've learned that chromium in either version is not enough to make any significant improvements, but as part of a continued regiment of multi-supplements intake, it is a possibility that it has some benefit.....

We are all trying that is for sure.

Ralph