Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 13:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/246/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Metformin and the Low carb diet

Hey everyone,

I've decided that I want to try the Atkins low carb diet. I'm currently taking Metformin twice a day for diabetes. I'm finding that metformin is a terrible drug, and according to the Atkins book, while I'm on the diet I shouldn't have to take it. I'm just wondering, if I shoudl follow that advice, or continue to take it while on the low carb diet. Would there be any negative side effects, postive side effects of combining metformin with the low carb diet?

Last edited by LJLL : Tue, Sep-28-04 at 13:56. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 15:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi LJLL!

I wouldn't recommend discontinuing your Metformin with first discussing it with your doctor. In theory, Metformin should help with weight loss in that it works to decrease insulin resistance. It's true that low carbing can help you control your blood sugars without medication in many cases, but such decisions should be between you and your doctor and based on your blood sugar readings.
Since you're diabetic, I'm assuming that you are in the habit of checking your blood sugars regularly so if you notice that your blood sugars are getting on the low side, talk to your doctor about decreasing your dosage or trying to go without it to see how you do.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 15:54

BF:

Yeah, thats what I thought. I kinda had this suspicion it helped with weight loss, but then I'm eliminating sugar etc, so I suppose watching for low blood sugar will be the priority.

I seriously hope that I get to stop taking Met...I'm not liking it at all, I'm sure anyone who has taken it or is taking it can agree..

thanks!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 07:37

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Hi LJLL. Please stop by to give us an update on your experience with lc-ing and sugar levels. Just as an interesting aside, I have read that there are people who do not have diabetes, yet take metformin. Many believe that insulin is a big contributor to aging and there are some using metformin to lower insulin levels further than diet alone may allow. The Life Extension Foundation (http://www.lef.org) is an advocate of low-carbing, but they research other methods of slowing aging as well.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 12:54

BF:

I'm not sure why anyone would want to take Metformin without being forced to take it. Its a nasty medication, with not so nice side effects. Personally I'd rather not take, for any reason.
In my experience before I started taking it, my blood sugar levels were always normal, and if they were elevated for any reason, they would balance themselves out within an hour. On the other hand with metformin, my blood sugar levels are fairly normal, they just dip into the low side more often than not.

Well, I suppose if met decreases the signs of the aging process, it might not be that bad....NOT.

thanks for the information though!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 14:38

BF:

LJLL, since you're taking it twice a day, I'm assuming that you are not taking the extended release version (Glucophage XR). The non-extended release does seem to have more side effects associated with it (upset stomach and diarrhea, anyone?) while the XR version seems to be much less associated with those types of symptoms. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor about the possibility of trying the XR version if it seems that you may need to take it for a while?

Quote:
I have read that there are people who do not have diabetes, yet take metformin.

Yes, some doctors presribe it to help with PCOS since insulin resistance is part of that syndrome and I have heard of a few prescribing it for weight loss when it's suspected that insulin resistance may be hindering attempts, sometimes combined with low carb as well.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJLL
I'm not sure why anyone would want to take Metformin without being forced to take it. Its a nasty medication, with not so nice side effects. Personally I'd rather not take, for any reason.
In my experience before I started taking it, my blood sugar levels were always normal, and if they were elevated for any reason, they would balance themselves out within an hour. On the other hand with metformin, my blood sugar levels are fairly normal, they just dip into the low side more often than not.

Well, I suppose if met decreases the signs of the aging process, it might not be that bad....NOT.

I can second everything you say, Metformin did nothing to my FBG and on a top I was getting BGs of 50 in the afternoon without even noticing it. As for side effects, it totally messed up my digestion after just 2 months and I had horrible muslce pain due to high level of lactic acid and liver pains on a regular basis. I'm still dealing with the side effects. My guess is Metformin is not suitalbe with lc diet and works for those with a very high degree of IR. As for weight loss, some folks losing weight because of diarrhea but I was plaqued with horrible constipation so no weight loss for me. As for deacreasing signs of aging process, I'd ask my liver and digestive system, which suffered tremendously on this med. Healthy liver, digestive and eliminating system is what we need for slow aging and longlivity, and I don't see how metformin can help it. Jut MHO. I've stopped Met.. and started Glucobetic. It's herbal supplement with no side effects and much better FBGs results.
Regards,
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Thu, Sep-30-04 at 10:51.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 15:06

BF:

I guess everyone's different, Dina. I took the extended release version for nearly a year while low carbing and did not have diarrhea or constipation at any point, even when first taking it, nor did I develop any gastric distress or liver issues. I had a low twice (defined as low 70's) during that period, both times more likely due to the fact that I wasn't eating enough than the medication.
Strange...generally if anyone is going to be intolerant of a medication, I'm one who is, but this one didn't bother me. I quit taking it (with my doctor's blessing) because I didn't need it any longer to keep my blood sugars in line and it didn't seem to be doing anything to aid my weight loss, so I didn't see the sense in continuing to pay for it and take it.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 02:57

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

This is another med which proves how different we all are. I am T1, and of necessity, insulin dependant. I tried metformin just to see if it would be of any assistance in reducing my shots. To my dismay, it proved to be of little use and in fact seemed to elevate my bGs. I am not sure why it is not recommended to people with constipation 'cause it sure had the opposite effect on me..!!
Dina's post, however, makes it clear that it doesn't have this same effect on everybody.
I never tried the XR version, but it does seem to have more fans.
What a contrary condition we have....lol...

Cheers.....Eve
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 18:09
Registered Member

Angry

We are in fact all diferent. My guess that my extensive exercise regimen in addition to low carbing and Metformin contibuted to the lactic acid buildup giving me this excrutiating muscle pain, not to mention GI problems.
As for XR version, I didn't try it since I've read that it puts even more burden on liver. But again, it's all individual, may be my liver is more sensitive to this med, however, I've never had allergy to any medication or food in general before, may be kiwi fruit only . i can tell that Metformin didn't make any difference in my FBG, which was the only purpose I've twisted my Endo's hands to Rx me this med in a first place, and he warned me of the side effects. For some it can be very usefull. Many GP feel that even if you keep BGs pretty normal around the clock, those with still high level of insulin are still at risk bc of artheries damaging effect of insulin.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 19:46

Plan: Atkins/Diabetic
Stats: 137/138/128 Female 5'4 and 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Muscle Pain w/ Metformin but not Glucophage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Metformin did nothing to my FBG .....I had horrible muslce pain due to high level of lactic acid and liver pains on a regular basis. I'm still dealing with the side effects. My guess is Metformin is not suitalbe with lc diet and works for those with a very high degree of IR. ... I've stopped Met.. and started Glucobetic. It's herbal supplement with no side effects and much better FBGs results.
Regards,
Dina

I too have had horrible muscle pain, mainly in my right arm and shoulder which improved quite a bit when I read about lactic acid buildup and wanted to stop metformin, had to change doctors to do so. Went back to Glucophage, which doesn't seem to bother me as much. Until reading your comments I'd about decided metformin interracts with thyroid meds, but that may be wrong. I really appreciate your post. Hope I remember to click for email notification in case you reply. What's IR, btw?

Is there a test for how much lactic acid you have? How do you know?
Thanks for revealing Glucobetic to us, must be new? Lactic Acidosis can be fatal, you know, in about 50% of cases. You've had liver tests? Was that due to metformin also? Taking any other diabetes orals, maybe Starlix?

Last edited by Eagle-1 : Sat, Oct-16-04 at 19:57.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-04, 13:01
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I've been on metformin for eight years, and I was taking 2x500 pills with breakfast and supper. After almost a year on Atkins, my endo has put me down to two pills per day, and told me that I could go off them entirely. I decided to stay on two per day, for the help with weight loss.

The med is definitely different for everyone, I was warned by the endo when I started it years ago that is can be tough on your stomach (he started me at a half pill gradually increasing my dosage to allow my body to get used to it) but I never have had any sort of negative reaction to it. I find it interesting that it would give people low blood sugar, since it doesn't actually lower blood sugar. The only time in 8 years that I've had any incidence of low blood sugar, I gave blood and then went out shopping, so it was not related to the medication.

Jenn
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 17:58

BF:

Quote:
wanted to stop metformin, had to change doctors to do so. Went back to Glucophage, which doesn't seem to bother me as much.

Eagle-1, are you aware that Metformin and Glucophage are the same drug? The former is the generic name and the latter is the brand name.

Here is some information on lactic acidosis and Metformin:
http://www.lifescan.com/care/news/dn112603-1/
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/metformi_pi.htm
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 22:14
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1
What's IR, btw?
Insulin Resistance

Quote:
Is there a test for how much lactic acid you have? How do you know?
Thanks for revealing Glucobetic to us, must be new? Lactic Acidosis can be fatal, you know, in about 50% of cases. You've had liver tests? Was that due to metformin also? Taking any other diabetes orals, maybe Starlix?

I'm not sure about the test but I felt like never before, may be one time, when I had such a bad flu, I thought I was going to die, muscle pain was unbearable. This time I felt the same, except there was no flu to blame.
I felt very sick on metformin and would never try it again. I had recently liver panel done and all tests came back normal. But I didn't take metformin fore more than 2 months altogether, in 3 attempts. I don't take diebetic orals, my FBG is my problem mostly, rarely below 100, but my Hb1C is usually fine, it was 5.7 when I was dx. Last one was 5.4 after 3 months on glucobetic, down from 5.7. previously. Glucobetic seems to be working the best and with no side effects except that my nails became very strong and grow very fast.
You can check it at http://www.flourishwellness.com/sto...beticingred.asp
Regards,
Dina
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 00:12

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Eagle-1, are you aware that Metformin and Glucophage are the same drug?

Maybe Eagle-1 overlooked adding XR..??

.....Eve