Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What body shape are you?
Apple. I first gained around the middle 56 68.29%
Pear. I first gained around the hips and thighs 22 26.83%
Neither. I've never been overweight. 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 15:20
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
I'm very apple shaped and have been since I was old enough to have a shape. I was first diagnosed with diabetes at age 39, when I was reasonably active (in terms of exercise) yet about 40 pounds overweight. My sister, who is a pear, does not have diabetes even though she is more overweight than I have ever been, she is not very active, and she had gestational diabetes with her second child (who weighed over 10 pounds at birth). There is a strong history of diabetes on both sides of my family. My father is diabetic as was his father (who had both feet amputated). On my mother's side, my uncle developed type II diabetes at age 41 even though he had never been overweight a day in his life; my mother also has cousins with diabetes. Ironically, my mother herself does not have diabetes even though she is overweight and has always been very pear shaped. (I inherited my shape from her.)

I've lost about 35 pounds in the past three years. Almost none of it has been from my waist and torso. Now, I have a big bust and mid-section, with very skinny arms and legs. As I've lost weight, my hip-to-waist ratio has gotten worse. When I lost just about every spare ounce of fat in my arms and legs, I stopped losing weight and my weight loss stalled. Even though I exercise and attend Curves regularly, this stubborn apple fat doesn't want to leave me.

This is interesting, what you say about your waist - to - hip ratio getting worse with weight loss.

Even though I myself am not diabetic and pear shaped, as I lose weight I become more apple shaped & mid section heavy. It's very weird, but the fat around my belly - especially the top of my belly just below where my ribs meet together at my chest - goes at a much slower rate than the fat around my hips, and even the stubborn thigh fat. When I was very overweight I found that the sizes always had such a big waist with a small hips, but now I find the opposite to be true. I don't know what this means, probably has something to do with insulin resistance.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 09:35

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Even though I myself am not diabetic and pear shaped, as I lose weight I become more apple shaped & mid section heavy.

I'm getting quite slim, but the other day I was staring at the mirror and wondering where my waistline has gone. It used to always be fairly tiny! I hadn't been diagnosed T2 yet when I started LC, but I was very insulin resistant and headed that way. I'm guessing that over the years my growing derriere (probably from high estrogen from PCOS) hid the fact that my waist was getting thick from the IR (which caused the PCOS). So I guess a "pear" can hide an "apple" inside.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimalkin
I'm getting quite slim, but the other day I was staring at the mirror and wondering where my waistline has gone. It used to always be fairly tiny! I hadn't been diagnosed T2 yet when I started LC, but I was very insulin resistant and headed that way. I'm guessing that over the years my growing derriere (probably from high estrogen from PCOS) hid the fact that my waist was getting thick from the IR (which caused the PCOS). So I guess a "pear" can hide an "apple" inside.

This is exactly what I thought... I was an apple inside a pear! The pear fat was from the outrageous hormones due to PCOS, but that insulin resistance visceral fat was still there lurking under the surface. The estrogen fat is very easy to leave once the hormone levels clear up... not so of the insulin fat.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 11:08
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

I want to be Raquel Welch inside of this apple! Or Cher.. or Jamie Lee Curtis...

I am an apple..my mom is not diabetic, but is apple shaped.. I have always described myself as a Potato on TOOTHPICKS!!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 09:35

Plan: none
Stats: 250/230/185 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was always pear-shaped until I "maxed out" the fat cells and suddenly I started becoming apple-shaped (and diabetic)!! So, my theory is that the fat being stored around the middle must contribute to becoming diabetes. Of course I was also a product of the "no-fat" 1980s and the result is insulin resistence, diabetes, and an apple shape!! In fact, I am even more apple-shaped now that I am trying to treat my diabetes than before I began the medicine (Metformin & Starlix at night). Does anyone think that the Starlix might be creating a more apple-shaped body?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc04723
In fact, I am even more apple-shaped now that I am trying to treat my diabetes than before I began the medicine (Metformin & Starlix at night). Does anyone think that the Starlix might be creating a more apple-shaped body?

Hi cc04723:
Metformin doesn't but Starlix makes your pacnrease produce more insulin. More insulin = apple shape. This is why they link abdominal obesity to higher diabetes, and vise versa. However, Metformin supposedly to work on making your body more sensitive to your own insulin, and when combined with a low carb diet works by itself to control BGs. Talk to your doctor before adjusting your medications anyway.
Cheers,
Dina
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 14:10

Plan: SBD tweeked for diabetes
Stats: 176/176/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Apple and diabetic

I'm an apple shape and I was diagnosed with type 2 in May of this year. I feel now that I was a walking time bomb. It turns out that 3 out of 4 grandparents were diabetic, with my paternal grandmother beginning to lose her eye sight and then having a massive heart attack. She was only in her late 50s. It's scarey coz I'm going to be 54 this year.

My father and sister are also diabetic, with my father being on insulin and very careful of his readings but my sister is a sloppy diabetic and rarely tests herself.

I had always been slim, that is until I came to England to get married, have 2 kids and then divorced. I blame the English air for all my weight gain.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 10:53

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%

I gain on my butt, hips, legs...
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: semi
Stats: 144/138/130 Female 65 inches
BF:30%/29%/24%
Progress: 43%
Default no family history for me

I am new to this lc thing; wish i had found it sooner.i have no family history on either side, but am apple shape and only 10lbs. overweight, but had 10.6 lb baby. genes are complicated things
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

Very much an apple shape. I have lost 3 inches of my hips and bust both in the last month and Nothing off the waist. It is not only the first place I gain, but the last place I lose.