Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#871   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 07:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammac-5
Help! I'm gaining weight the past couple of weeks and I'm not happy about it. I was down to a nice, comfy 145-ish but now I'm at 147. I realize it's only 2 lbs right now, but I know fellow maintainers will understand why I can't just look the other way and ignore it...if I do, it'll be 5 lbs in no time!

So, help me figure this out. Looking at my Fitday averages for the past 2 weeks:
Ave cals 1410
Ave fat 72 g
Ave pro 89 g
Ave carb 113 total with 21 of those being fibers

I've been going to the gym 2-3 times per week -- school and work have been too nutty to workout 4 times a week as I used to do last year prior to my surgery.

Did my measurements this a.m. and weight is up by 1 inch over the past week. Any guidance/advice y'all can offer is appreciated.

Girl, it's time for quick action. I don't know if you keep a daily journal, but if you do look back for the past 1-2 weeks and see what has changed. Maybe it's a carb that you just added recently ( I have found there are carbs and then there are CARBS, even though their worth in grams is the same they don't go on the body the same)
Also if you can't go to the gym there are many ways to exercise at home..up and down stairs, etc.
Remember, you are in control and you know what to do.
Sponsored Links
  #872   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 06:10

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

So, I think I've got it figured out. Grains. I eat the same breakfast pretty much everyday, very low-carb lunch, sometimes dinner happens, sometimes it doesn't. But I've been eating a lot more fruit than previous and having an almost-daily cookie. Kashi cookies are yummy, but they are not sugar-free. They ARE 7 whole grains on a mission with no transfats or HFCS...but not completely "legal".

I had been eating berries once daily -- pretty much religiously -- but have recently been eating an apple every day as well, and the occasional pear. But I think the problem is the cookies. We'll see...
  #873   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 11:53

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Moved to Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance.

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Tue, May-13-08 at 12:11.
  #874   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 15:07
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi BoBo-
how are you- what's up?
E
  #875   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi BoBo-
how are you- what's up?
E

Hi Eno,

Just noticed your message. Sorry but I seldom check this area.

This maintenance thing seems so difficult at times. Sure wish there was an easier way than constantly depriving myself of things I enjoy. I’ve been maintaining since Jan. 2005 so I’ve endured a lot of deprivation. Guess there’s no easy answer for any of us.

BTW, you’ve done a great job and should be proud of yourself.

Best wishes.

Bo
  #876   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 13:07

Yikes!! I just read my last post here and realized it was so negative. While it’s true that sometimes I feel deprived of my pre low carb foods, I’ll never go back to those days again. The health benefits of this diet are far more important than the simple pleasures of my previous country fried steaks, biscuits, gravy, grits and apple pie diet. Perhaps there’s someway I could allow myself one meal a month to enjoy these things again. Will have to think about that one.

Best to all.

Bo
  #877   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 13:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
Yikes!! I just read my last post here and realized it was so negative. While it’s true that sometimes I feel deprived of my pre low carb foods, I’ll never go back to those days again. The health benefits of this diet are far more important than the simple pleasures of my previous country fried steaks, biscuits, gravy, grits and apple pie diet. Perhaps there’s someway I could allow myself one meal a month to enjoy these things again. Will have to think about that one.

Best to all.

Bo

Hey Bo!

I've been actually giving this whole topic some thought lately. IE: The treats on the weekend.....it can get out of hand very easily. Mainly due to the fact that we need more than the 5 weekdays to undo damage we can do in the 2 days over the weekend. I know that I need to tell ymself on a Friday that this upcoming weekend needs to be on plan.... this is when my scale is going higher than I like it to be....or if I am in weight loss mode.

Yes, I do allow myself an old favorite food about once a month...it keeps from from feeling deprived. It also allows my body a little bit of a favorite food without a binge or adverse effects on the scale.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend!
  #878   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 13:26

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the advice. With the dreaded Monday morning weigh in, I’m thinking perhaps Tuesday might be a better day to indulge in our forbidden treats than the weekend. That would give us the rest of the week to prepare for the scales Monday morning. Perhaps, it might even be possible to have one unrestricted meal a week instead of once a month? Sounds good to me.

Best wishes.

Bo
  #879   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 13:32
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Hi Judy,

Thanks for the advice. With the dreaded Monday morning weigh in, I’m thinking perhaps Tuesday might be a better day to indulge in our forbidden treats than the weekend. That would give us the rest of the week to prepare for the scales Monday morning. Perhaps, it might even be possible to have one unrestricted meal a week instead of once a month? Sounds good to me.

Best wishes.

Bo

Hey Bo!

I hope you realize that you do not have to weighin on Mondays....you can do it on Tuesday or any other day that works best for you!!

I think its important for each of us to find ways to live with our new way of eating .....I tend to have a treat food( a bagel) about once a month.....I steer clear of buffets as I know that I'd totally pig out!!

I also learned of the "3 bite rule" 3 bites of a decadent dessert...no more, no less.....3 BIG bites!! this can be for any food...I use it for desserts.
  #880   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 15:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
I was on vacation so missed these posts!
The whole idea of the meals once a week or once a month is interesting- there are some threads I remember about this. Some plan includes this- but I forget the name.
For me, I get to eat carbs in a balanced way with protein and veggies once a day, so I don't feel deprived. I sure can't eat the way I used to, and I sometimes do feel that I wish I could be 'normal' and eat whatever I want- but I have learned to nip that in the bud fast. Bagels were my favorite food, Judy. I have 1/2 a few times a year now with my RM meal, and it seems to be enough. I just feel so lucky to have found a WOL that has returned my health to me- let alone my body! This is just how I eat now.
Thanks for the posts, BoBo. You can vent here anytime.
I will tell you lots of others have said that it is a slippery slope once you go off plan on a regular basis. It is too scary for me.
E
  #881   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 15:51
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
Thanks for the posts, BoBo. You can vent here anytime.
I will tell you lots of others have said that it is a slippery slope once you go off plan on a regular basis. It is too scary for me.
E

Hi Bo, Judy and Eno!
Yes, I slid down that slope in April. Feel more comfortable being wheat/sugar/alcohol free for the time being....or a very long time...one day at a time.
It's finally summer in St. Louis! Yahoooo.
Denise
  #882   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:35

We’ve been talking it over and have decided to try one unrestricted restaurant meal every Wednesday and see what happens? It’s hard to believe that one meal a week would lead to the slippery slope that Eno and Denise mentioned. The only limitation we’re placing on ourselves is that the desert menu will be avoided if possible. Other than that, nothing will be off limits. I’m southern born and raised so biscuits and gravy, here I come!

This is the menu of our Favorite Restaurant .

Best to all.

Bo
  #883   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 21:30
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
We’ve been talking it over and have decided to try one unrestricted restaurant meal every Wednesday and see what happens? It’s hard to believe that one meal a week would lead to the slippery slope that Eno and Denise mentioned. The only limitation we’re placing on ourselves is that the desert menu will be avoided if possible. Other than that, nothing will be off limits. I’m southern born and raised so biscuits and gravy, here I come!

This is the menu of our Favorite Restaurant .

Best to all.

Bo

Oh no Bo, it's an individual thing. Some people find that they can do just that in maintenance or start eating "higher carb" again. It's a journey to find our own individual comfort zones in maintenance. Not one way is better than the other. It's what works for you.
Denise
  #884   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 03:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgrrl2006
Oh no Bo, it's an individual thing. Some people find that they can do just that in maintenance or start eating "higher carb" again. It's a journey to find our own individual comfort zones in maintenance. Not one way is better than the other. It's what works for you.
Totally agree that it's an individual thing and what works for one may or may not work for another.

In my case, I'm finding that following the 80/20 rule is working well for me in maintaining my weight. So, as long as I'm good for at least 80% of the time, then the 20% of the time I eat off plan doesn't cause a problem. What I normally do is to stick totally to plan during the week, and then have either a meal or two out off plan (including dessert), or else some treats that I wouldn't normally eat during the week. Of course, I can adjust my plan to have a meal out during the week should I choose to do so.

Obviously, while this works well for me, it might very well not work for someone else, and I can totally understand those who feel that it would be the slippery slope for them if they did go off plan.

Bo, I hope that you enjoy your meal, however you decide to play it
  #885   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 07:09
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
Denise, thanks for your input. Can you tell us what happened- so we can all learn? ANd how you decided on your current strategy? You have done sooo great. How long have you been on this WOL?

I have found that alcohol- any alcohol- makes my weight jump up a couple of pounds overnight. I am limiting myself to 1-2 drinks/week this summer so I can see how I do that way. I love summer drinks like mojitos and margaritas.DH even grows mint for me to make fresh mojitos. But this year I'm limiting.
On vacation I did drink everyday- but I also walked for hours and hours. And I only had one drink/day- mostly wine or beer.
There was a popular diet book many years ago called the Rotation Diet- diet during the wek and eat what you wanted on the weekends. Wht the author did not tell the readers was that he ran and played tennis (for hours) daily- not just did the diet. It would not work for me- for me the insulin is the key.