Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 05:49

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Angry hmm..acording to my doctor, atkins is worse then cancer!

I'm 20 years old and I had my thyroid taken out over a year ago. It was cancerous. I still got cancer tissue though, I never had the radiation treatment because my insurance ran out. I still have no health insurance. It would cout 1500 to get the treatment. I can't get aproved for health insurance because
1. I'm not pregnant
2. I don't have anything "deadly"

So basically I would have 2 choices..

1. Go find some random guy off the street to get me pregnant and then give my kid cancer..(oh yea thats real nice)
2. Wait untill it spreads and I'm practically dead..

Nice choices huh?

So anyways, I mentioned to my doctor yesterday that I was doing Atkins..

SHe made this bigass deal about it because of how all that fats bad for your kidneys, liver problems..blablabla.

Eck go figure.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 13:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/195/145
BF:38%/26%/23%
Progress: 14%
Default butter, and eggs, and cream...Oh MY

My Dr had a fit also. She said I was crazy to go on it, it's so dangerous. Had blood work done at the time, that was when I was on it about 3 years ago. She called me at work with my results, I thought oh here we go I'm going to be put in the hospital or something, I mean they never call you at work unless it's bad.. Well was I wrong, she was all excited, said my triglycerides were the best they've ever looked, my cholesterol was down by 30 points. She said I was doing great, plus I'd dropped 11 pounds. Her nurse said keep doing what you're doing, just sort of keep it to yourself, dr's don't approve of the
Atkins plan.
Just because we're on Atkins doesn't mean we're out there eating buckets of lard. You can eat low fat meats and tons of veggies and fish and be just fine. I think they hear Atkins and they immediately think, bacon grease, fatty burgers all day long and butter on everything. You can eat "healthy" as to their standards and still stay on the plan quite nicely.
I think if we stick with it, low thyroid or not it will work. We just cant' get discourged. So don't, okay!! We're on this road together.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 02:31

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 250/215/180
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking

I must have a strange doctor. Mine said, whatever it takes for you to loss weight, I am all for it.
I am on thyroid too. Gained about 30 pounds almost over night and so he checked and I needed it. Am not real sure I understand all I know about the desease, I guess I should call it a desease. Every 4 months I go back in to get checked and things are finally stable. They were increasing my daily dose every time I went in for awhile but not now.
The doctor told me that if it works for me just keep doing it. I think as long as you eat smart you will be okay. I am a meat eater and can consume large portions without feeling bored. I just eat meat alot of the time. I know that sounds horrible but on WW and other diets I feel deprived. I can eat enough meat to keep me going but not fill up like junk food.
It seemed on WW that is all I was thinking about was eating. On Atkins I know what to eat and definitely not what to eat. It is easy.
You will notice too, after awhile on Atkins that you aren't hungry. I try not to eat unless I am. I guess that sounds bad too but I am basically a fat person and when I start eating, no matter what it is it is hard for me to stop. So it is better for me to just not eat until I need to.
Good luck and keep letting us know how you are doing.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 10:48

Stats: 200/193/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs down dr said what??

I say get a new dr.--thats what i did---4+ years of being told nothing is wrong and finally i found a dr and just yesterday found out i do have a thyroid condition. hallelujah!!! get a second opinion--its worth it. my dr if very pro atkins. he also treats based on symptons not blood tests. let me know how u make out--good luck
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 11:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Doctors do not learn anything about nutrition in medical school (mine said 15 minutes was about right), so they are not qualified to tell us how to eat. They simply parrot the party low-fat line.

And if I am not mistaken (maybe Doreen can comment), cancer cells thrive on high levels of glucose, which says to me that a high carbohydrate diet is the worst thing for someone who has it. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this.

Karla
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 16:46

Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Slim Shady,

I'm so sorry to hear about your health & insurance problems.
I sincerely hope that everything would work out for u. Take care

regards,
Bebe
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 19:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Insurance-for us or against us???
How horrible to not treat some one who obviously NEEDS treatment!!!

I'm saying a prayer for you, cancer is nothing to mess with!

That said, I want you to know that cancer cannot cross the placenta to harm a baby. I was pregnant with my second child while I dad Hodgkin's back in '80. My oncologist assured me it would have no effect on her.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 13:11

Smile Hey thanks people =)

Still haven't made any progress with this. I don't really care about the doctors anymore with Atkins, I'm gonna do it no matter what they say. I know the difference in how I feel on Atkins, rather than a highcarb diet; they don't. Now I just lie when they ask because its easier to lie and say I'm doing WW or something instead of getting lectured and aggravated about it.
eck.

I applied (again) 3 months ago to get health insurance, I'm still waiting on that. I called and they told me it might be another 3 months..The system is so messed up.

Thats good to know about the high carb diet and cancer, if thats true, maybe thats another reason it hasn't spread yet, I've been doing low carb on and off since I had the surgery. I don't know if it has or not, I'd actually have to get checked again since its been so long. I feel fine though. Eck. It's depressing

Thanks again for the replies You guys are more caring than my doctors. How twisted is that? lol
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 13:32

Quote:
Originally posted by deb_o
Insurance-for us or against us???
How horrible to not treat some one who obviously NEEDS treatment!!!

I'm saying a prayer for you, cancer is nothing to mess with!

That said, I want you to know that cancer cannot cross the placenta to harm a baby. I was pregnant with my second child while I dad Hodgkin's back in '80. My oncologist assured me it would have no effect on her.

Wow really? Good to know for future refference.
And its funny because I was told by the health insurance people and one of my doctors that if I were to get pregnant, it'd be "dangerous" to the baby if the cancer were to spread. Which is why pregnant people get insurance faster. Yea Ok. Eck more lies and bs from doctors. I'm sick of it.

Hmm. Have a baby, get health insurance. Seems like that would be the easiest way outta all of this. I'm soo not about to do it though. Thats just wrong. lol I couldn't do that.