Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 18:11

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Could use your help with my question.

Hi
I just finished reading her newest book and I also read another one of hers as well, but cannot remember the title....

Okay, I like this plan for my daughter because she can eat oatmeal and puffed wheat. She can also eat fruit, which as a pre teen she needs.

NOW the confusion:

She says NONFAT cheese???
NONFAT cottage cheese????
NONFAT cream cheese -- yet some receipes she does not say this.

I am confused..... or is it that I am so Atkins trained, that I cannot accept this and buy two types of cheese, nonfat (which I think tastes like yuck......) and Atkins cheese for me being the regular stuff.

Why is this??? This WOL is similiar to Atkins -- yet there are no restrictions on the types of cheese. In fact, Atkins says regular full fat cheese.

Can someone clarify this for me....Or should I just buy the regular cheese and not the NONFAT kind?

Thanks
Why would
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 06:59

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I am new at SS but what I think she means is...

If you are going to have a carb meal (ex. oatmeal) you can NOT have fat with it, that is where the NON fat milk, NON cheese etc comes in.

If you are having pro/fat meal, then you can't have carbs, so you need the full fat cheese, cream, etc. because the NON FAT products have carbs in them while the Full fat doesn't.

I am doing SS, but sticking closer to the pro/fat meals and only having her carb meals once in awhile. So I only have FULL FAT cheeses in my house. So I am not confused.

I will have oatmeal once in awhile (about once a week) I do have an apple mid day, but make sure it isn't close to supper time.

Hopefully, we can get someone else's opinions about the NON fat vs FULL fat in SS.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 18:33

Plan: atkins/somersize
Stats: 154/149/127
BF:
Progress: 19%

You are right about the carbs w/nonfat cheese, milk and cottage cheese. With pro/fats you can have any REAL cheese (full fat), whipping cream, but no milk or cottage cheese because of their carb content. I personnaly like Suzanne's first 2 books the best, the recipes don't use so much cream.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 00:20

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Yep, these answers look right to me.

But watch out for whipping cream... it must be HEAVY cream in order to be carbfree. I have to be careful of that because if I'm tired while I'm shopping I often get regluar whipping cream. Heavy is also harder to find.

I too go easy on the cream and fats in general, though I do love the simpler recipes in her more recent books. I just use less cream, substitute cooking oil for butter and a nonstick pan for oil when I can and go for lean meat. Looking at my first couple of entries in my journal you wouldn't know that, but hontesly, most days I go lighter on red meats and cream.

The best part about being able to eat whole grain carbs is that you NEED them once in a while if you are going to eat all that cheese!