Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%
Question Recipe Questions/Comments

Please post any questions or comments you may have on any of the recipes here!!

Hopefully someone will answer the questions...You may have to email them directly if they don't respond or someone else doesn't respond.

Last edited by KittyKat2 : Wed, Jun-04-03 at 19:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 13:21

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Servings

This whole setup looks great! I can tell already though, I'm going to have trouble saying how many servings some of my recipes make. Shall do my best though.

Everyone please be sure to give credit where credit is due if you are posting someone else's recipe. Also, I think it is not legal to post any of the recipes out of Suzanne's books without asking her permission, since they are copyrighted. So just how much of a change do you have to make to it before it's not hers anymore???
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 13:41

BF:
Default Cucumber salad comment

Natasha, should that be listed as a pro/fats meal since it has canola oil in it? That way if people want to serve it with something else, they'll know what's legal.

I've added celery seeds to my shopping list...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%

I guess it would be a Pro/Fat/Veggie! Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 23:28

BF:
Cool Menu for a week

I have a friend who asked me to make her a list of ideas for low carb meals that included no complicated or expensive ingredients. I made up a menu for a week featuring something different for every meal, every day. I was amazed at how good it looked when I read through it, and how many MORE things I could have added if I wasn't limited to 7 days in a week.

Thought I'd post it here for those who need encouragement that Sommersizing is indeed easy and delicious.

Breakfast:

Mon - Cream cheese pancakes with sugar free maple syrup. Herbal tea
Tue - Scrambled eggs with cream cheese and a slice of bacon. Decaf coffee with skim milk and Splenda
Wed - Fruit smoothie - wait 20 minutes - bowl of whole grain cereal with skim milk and artificial sweetener nuked 30 seconds. Herbal tea
Thurs - Egg/bacon/cheese breakfast muffin. (no carb 'bread') Decaf coffee with sugar free flavoring (DaVinci, Torino's or Atkins)
Fri - Whole grain pita pocket stuffed with Smuckers sugar free berry jam/ff cream cheese and toasted. Herbal tea
Sat - Fried eggs and bacon. Decaf coffee
Sun - Spinach and cheese omlette. Lemon-lime sparkling water.

Lunch:

Mon - Tuna salad on bed of mixed lettuce. SF, caffeine free soda (Hansens has a great selection)
Tue - Cheese burger with the works wrapped in lettuce leaf. Iced herbal tea (watch out for added sugar in your ketchup!)
Wed - Mixed lettuce with all kinds of veggies chopped in. Cubed cheese, shredded lunchmeat. Top with shredded parmesan cheese and ranch dressing
Thurs - Chicken salad on bed of fresh spinach leaves. Frappe! (flavor of the week)
Fri - Veggie pilaf (mixed non-white grains) with soy sauce. Iced herbal tea
Sat - Veggie soup. Spinach/bacon/hard boiled egg salad. SF soda
Sun - Smoked turkey wraps. (lunchmeat around cream cheese/veggie filling) Iced herbal tea

Supper:

Mon- Chicken in balsamic dijon sauce
Tue - Mini pepperoni pizza
Wed - Salmon fried in lemon butter. Asparagus in lemon/mustard sauce
Thurs - Steak with green salad and whipped cauliflower
Fri - Tomato, chicken and veggie bake
Sat - Lambchop simmered in basil and sherry sauce over spinach or arugala.
Sun - Beef lasagna.

Snacks: Eat at least two hours after last meal and two hours before the next meal

String cheese
Regular cheese
Cheese 'crackers'
Fruit
Fruit juice (No sugar added)
Sliced veggies with cream cheese or dipped in ranch dressing
Pork rinds
SF candy (one serving)
SF chocolate mousse
Salami or pepperoni rolled around cheese
Pickle
Whole grain crackers with ff cheese, ff yogurt or Smucker's jams
Fat free yogurt with Grape Nuts and SF flavoring.

Holler if you see something here that you want the recipe for.

MB

Last edited by Mamabeek : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 13:24.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 03:58

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Mamabeek,

Sounds mostly great. There are a couple of things that are not right though. First, fruit can be eaten 2 hours after a meal and 1 hour before the next meal. And you can eat a snack anytime you want one, it is not limited. Second, jam, even sugarless, is still a fruit and cannot be mixed with carbs except on level 2. I'm not sure about the Hansen's soda, but I though all soda was out. Everything else sounds yummy!

Best wishes,
Sandy

Last edited by Sandylee : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 03:59.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:19

BF:
Default Hmm...

Your comment about fruit is correct, though my friend is not formally Sommersizing, so I just gave her my own rules. Should have deleted that part before posting here. But my impression is that snacks may NOT be eaten any time and should be dispersed evenly between meals; particularly carbo snacks and fruit snacks. Fruit snacks eaten too soon after any kind of meal can disrupt digestion and carb snacks should have as much time as possible to be burned off before you eat again. If you eat a meal, then snack all the way through until the next meal, where did the meal end and the snack begin? How would the food combining part of the WOE work if you ate a piece of toast 20 minutes before a lunch of burgers and cheese, or 20 minutes after? For the combining part of the plan to make sense you'd have to have a good sized space between meals and snacks, IMOP.

Any diet soda, provided it is caffeine free, is fine. Suzanne prefers not to drink them because she feels there are too many "chemicals" in them, but that has nothing to do with digestion or weight issues. Same for artificial sweeteners. Those are her personal feelings and not part of the WOE. Her earlier books included Saccharine and Aspartame in the recipies but her current ones treat those same sweeteners as poison yet push her own artificial sweetener like mad. Do we see an ulterior motive here? Nah! The point is, do these sweeteners affect your insulin production or your digestion? If not then the other possible health issues are a personal call.

Suzanne has said that berries are so very low in sugar and carbs that they can be considered a free food. Thus combining berries in legal ice cream, on cereal, in yogurt or in SF jams is ok. Smucker's has blackberry and red raspberry jams that fit that bill, so I use them with whole grain breads etc once in a while. They have 5 carbs per serving and no added sugar.

One of my gripes with Suzanne is that she is very inconsistant as you read through her books and on her website. Much of that is because her WOE has been evolving over the years and as she learns more she updates her books. Thus I figure what is in her newest book, "Fast and Easy" is probably the best researched and the most accurate information. But she still has a tendancy to make proclamations that don't make much sense or that are based on her personal feelings rather than science or logic. And she pushes her products pretty hard when sometimes they don't even meet her own guidelines! I try to weed that stuff out and go with what seems more scientific/logical or that she at least has a reasonable argument for.

MB
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 18:22

BF:

I have noticed the inconsistencies, too, LOL. I have noticed with myself that if I drink diet soda (with caffeine) I keep craving sweets for an hour or two afterwards. I am a real caffiene addict, and I have not managed to completely give it up yet.

This is my interpretation of the Somersizing plan.

Fruits are to be eaten alone on an empty stomach, at least 2 hours after a meal. Wait at least 20 minutes after eating fruit before a carb meal, and at least 1 hour after eating fruit before a protein/fats meal. After you eat a carb meal wait at least 3 hours before eating proteins/fats. After you eat a protein/fats meal. wait at least 3 hours before eating carbs.

This would mean that if you had a steak for lunch and an hour later you were still hungry, you could have a hard boiled egg for a snack, since it is in the same food protein/fat food group. You also could snack on celery or other vegetables any time you want since vegetables go with either food group.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 23:48

BF:

Sounds good to me Sandy!

Diet sodas don't bother me at all, but I never have any with caffeine in them. But on the real food front I have to manage my snacking strictly or I will want to graze all day long no matter what the snacks are. If I just go by my two hour rule I don't have to use my wee brain too much over which snacks to eat when. It smokes up the room if I use it very often.

I just avoid snacking on carbs at all if I can help it. I sometimes do a "funky" nuts snack, because it really kerbs the cravings and just a hand full satisfies me for hours. I confess that the Carb Safe LC cookies are one of my favorite appetite supressants. One of those will shut up my cravings for the entire afternoon if I miss lunch for some reason, and I used them quite effectively when I was travelling. (on the planes and in the airports, not at my destination. They couldn't begin to compete with cheesecake and cobbler!). Just 3 carbs in them but once I have one I don't want to eat for hours anyway, so it works out ok.

Thanks for the corrections!

MB
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 05:24

BF:

Hi Mamabeek,
Those cookies sound tempting. Are they advertised as an appetite suppressant or just a low carb snack? When I was on Atkins I never got full from the bars; frequently I would get hungry again quickly. And the macadamia nuts? I can' t buy them because I eat the whole jar!!! LOL. I do tend to graze all day but I try to make it veggies and never carbs. I do have fruit for snacks; maybe I would lose faster if I didn't. How long did it take you to lose the 21 pounds? That is fantastic, by the way!!!

Sandy
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 15:12

BF:

Hi Mamabeek,
Where ya been, toots?
Hope all is well with you. I'm going to Florida for the weekend to see my mom.

Sandy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 10:48

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandylee
This is my interpretation of the Somersizing plan.

Fruits are to be eaten alone on an empty stomach, at least 2 hours after a meal. Wait at least 20 minutes after eating fruit before a carb meal, and at least 1 hour after eating fruit before a protein/fats meal. After you eat a carb meal wait at least 3 hours before eating proteins/fats. After you eat a protein/fats meal. wait at least 3 hours before eating carbs.

This would mean that if you had a steak for lunch and an hour later you were still hungry, you could have a hard boiled egg for a snack, since it is in the same food protein/fat food group. You also could snack on celery or other vegetables any time you want since vegetables go with either food group.

Sandy is this genuwine ??? its all too much for me to comprehend ,is that all there is to it ?

rob (the shrink ) lol
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 04:46

BF:

Hi Rob!!!!!!
So good to see you back. I cut and pasted this from a previous post of mine. This is basically what I eat. I am not doing full Somersizing yet, as I am losing better this way.

---------------------

Breakfast is: One piece of fruit, lately a peach
20 minute later: A bowl of Grape-nuts, or Shredded Wheat, or Puffed Kashi, with skim milk, or brown rice. Decaf with skim milk.

Lunch: A huge salad from the grocery store salad bar consisting of lettuce, red and green peppers, cucumbers, mushrooms, olives, shredded cheese, 2 chopped hard boiled eggs or plain tuna, vinegar and oil. 1 Diet Coke.

Dinner: A protein such as barbequed chicken breast, or fish, or occasionally pork tenderloin or steak, and a vegetable like buttered broccoli, grean beans, asparagus or spinach. Dessert is shaved ice with Atkins chocolate or strawberry syrup and a little cream.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 12:14

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

San,
I gather that carbs are only had at breakfast ? how many carbs are you allowed to have . Can you have protein with a carby breakfast ?can you have a protein breakfast instead of carbs . How much fats do you allow yourself ? is the carb only low glycaemic carb ?

sorry for all the QQ but I need to pull myself together like now !!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 12:27

BF:

Hi Rob. I'd suggest you get a copy of one of Suzanne's books. Any of them will do since she reapeats her plan in each one, but Fast and Easy is the most recent and therefore has the most up to date info. You can probably find them at a library or get them half price used on Amazon.com as I did.

Carbs can never be eaten with fats or proteins and vice verca. You may have carbs any time you like as long as they are whole grain, but Suzanne recommends you have them for breakfast or lunch so you have plenty of time to burn them off.

Veggies are a "free food" and can be eaten with either carbs or pro/fats meals and are the best snacks to have because you don't have to worry about how long to wait after your last meal before eating them.

Fruits should always be eaten alone.

The combining portion of Suzanne's diet is not scientifically proven, but many people (myself included) have found it to be very effective. If I separate my foods the way she suggests I lose very consistantly, but if I eat the exact same foods combined I do not lose.

There is no counting of carbs, calories or anything else on this plan, you simply adhere to the rules and eat until you are satisfied. At first you may tend to overeat but most people find that once they settle into the plan they feel satisfied after a reasonable size meal and don't overeat anymore.

It can take a couple of weeks or even longer for your body to adjust to the new regimen, but most people, once they start losing, lose a bunch of weight all at once. I lost a pound a day for two weeks! Then you will probably slow down and lose at a slower rate. Many people "jump start" themselves by doing Atkins induction and then switching to SS after that.

Good luck!

MB