Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 06:37

Plan: Low Carbing
Stats: 233.2/202/168 Female 5ft 8ins
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default New member interested in LC and Food Combining

Hi all , I cant tell you how buoyed up I feel tonight. I have decided to go back to Food Combining. I tried it in the '90's and found I felt so well on it. But I slipped, like I do.

Then in 2003 I tried Atkins, I was impressed with the thinking, especially as it had a lot of things in it that I felt agreed with food combining. I did really well on it. BUT.....

I did find the fact that bread was so limited, and fruit too in the early stages, tended to make it hard for me to stick with it. So, although I seem to be obsessed with Atkins (and will passionately stand up for him and his WOE and believe it IS a fantastic WOE), my flesh is weak and I think I will go back to food Combining and see if a change does me good.

I have 2 books on the subject....

Food Combining - For Health by Doris Grant & Jean Joyce
Food Combining - Diet by Kathryn Marsden
Slimming with the Hay Diet by Ursula Summ

I live in Turkey, the summers are hot and I lose weight naturally, BUT come the winters I turn into a food obsessed cook. -The house tends to feel cold and I think I eat to feel warm (full). So, as I type this I have heartburn from pigging out again and weigh a gross amount It is so disappointing as I was at my son's wedding in August (and though I wasn't slim), the photos look good, I think. I had a photo taken on New Years Night that floored me. I looked TERRIBLE Time to do something. Reason I haven't before? ~I had a stinking cold in January and, frankly, didn't care.

So that's it. I am going to have to stock up an some goodies, and I hope you will be able to me with ideas. I look forward to meeting you all....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 07:36

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Welcome,

I've just moved back to food combining from Atkins. You say you suffer from heartburn. Food combining should help you get rid of this.

I think the Hay system is the purest form of food combining but they will all work if you stick to them.

Feel free to visit my journal. Why not start one of your own?

Good luck,

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 03:43

BF:
Talking

Hi Robert, I am blushing as I type this. I was SO enthusiastic to begin food combining again, then I had a lot of disruption including hospital visits and a small (very small) op. The past week has flown by in a blur. I need to write my shopping list and get myself on track. Lame, I know.

I WILL look at your journal. I am not used to this system, so, will explore later.

I certainly need to do something with my health as I am now suffering with water retention. I believe discovering an addictive game on the internet has been my downfall. I need to get a life...... :/

I know that both Atkins and Food combining are good for my digestion, Atkins stops my heartburn, but Food Combining stops heartburn AND (*shhh* -constipation)

Why did you return to combining from Atkins, Robert? Oh, THAT might be in your journal, LOL! Certainly the two diets I tried where I felt SO well were Atkins and Food Combining. They are my bibles, but sadly, I stray...

Last edited by I-Believe : Thu, Feb-25-10 at 08:48. Reason: Dyslexic keyboard.....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 12:58

BF:

#5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 06:03

Now this is the kind of thing food combiners find confusing:

from: http://www.newtreatments.org/FoodIn...ins%20or%20fats

RULE 1: Do not combine pure fats (butter, cream, bacon fat) with high starches (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, cereal, sweets) at any one meal. If you're having primarily carbohydrates at a meal don't eat any fats. If you're having potatoes for lunch and a sweet dessert, don't put butter or sour cream on your potatoes. Likewise, if you're having fats don't eat any carbohydrates. If you're having bacon or eggs for breakfast, don't eat cereal or bread.

Primitive man did not eat fats with carbohydrates. The food had fat in the animal meat; but in millions of years he never found lumps of pure fat attached to any vegetable (carbohydrate) foods. As he evolved he never needed to digest fats and starches at the same meal - he never developed such mechanism - and today we still haven't any.

Eat fats with meats, or with any other proteins - fish, eggs or cheese. In fact you must be sure to eat fats with meat, they not only can be combined but they must be combined.

As you can see this contradicts the chart! Ho hum.
Robert
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 03:34

BF:

Thanks for that. I thought I was going nuts!

I remember sitting in bed (many moons ago) reading one eof my food combining books. I was trying to get my head round the rules. In the end I had to conclude that I was thick. From that point on I just stuck to the menu plan and I lost weight and felt well, without really grasping 'da rules'.

I have to say that on Atkins I had no such difficulty.

But FC it is for me for now. And my reasoning? -I want to lose weight and I want to improve my digestion.

Anyway, I HAVE lost a bit more weight even though I have been making do with what I have in the house, as had no opportunity to shop. May shop today (nice list compiled). Not sure I can get hold of cottage cheese, might have to peruse the fridges armed with a dictionary.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 04:54

Well I just got: cottage cheese = süzme peynir if that is any help!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 08:32

BF:

Thanks for that. Turks are big on their cheeses, but nothing quite compares to cheddar. They tell us "this is strong, like cheddar" but often it isn't quite right. But we like the search. I know they do Philadelphia-type cheese, so I would be surprised if they don't do cottage cheese in the bigger supermarkets in this area. Will look.