Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/231/180 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 12%

WOW. I didn't realize that by quitting, my metabolism would take a hit. DUH!

I guess I wasn't really thinking about that. Does it really take months to recover????

Is there a direct correlation between body temperature and metabolism? Or is there just a loose association?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 19:39

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

After I quit I gained 15 lbs while eating around 25 net carbs/day (although I did eat more food than usual for the first few months). It's been over 10 months since then and I can't seem to lose an ounce of it. I've added weights and count calories to no avail. Not everybody has their metabolism affected as badly as I have but it does happen.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 20:02

Plan: Wii + CCing
Stats: 241/241/170 Female 5'11"
BF:ER! Yep...
Progress: 0%

I never thought of that in the past...Wow! That kinda makes some sense to me now...Even though I stopped smoking 8 1/2 years ago about a year or so after I stopped things went haywire...

Never gave it a thought it could have something to do with stopping smoking and metabolism...I will have to do some research on that...
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-08, 13:15

Plan: south beach
Stats: 178/171/125 Female 5feet 1inch
BF:
Progress: 13%

I am also finding it very difficult to loose weight since quitting smoking. I started exercising seriously again and watching what I ate in Jan of this year. The weight feel oof like it always did, 12lbs in a little less than 6weeks. I quite smoking for good in March, gained back all I had lost (and a bit more) and have been fighting all summer to loose a meesly 5lbs. It totally stinks! I am worried about what my waistline will look like if I really have to wait a year for my metabolism to re-adjust.

I have heard that shocking your metabolism into high gear is a good strategy for ex-smokers. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-08, 13:56
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I have continued to lose, but that was one of the "suggestions" the hypnotist gave us.

When I tried to quit last year, using Chantix, I gained 20 lbs in one month. That's part of why I gave up on that quit.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 11:58

Plan: LC
Stats: 176/173/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I believe I am in that same boat and never realized the connection. It is 4 weeks today as a non smoker. I have restarted my atkins and have not lost anything to speak of. I was really kind of worried that I was watching my carbs and still gaining, so this is kind of a relief that it is my metabolism. Thanks for all this info. I will continue with my atkins and will do everything I can to rev it up. Again thanks for turning the light on!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 08:55
Registered Member

Stats: 264/167/165 Female 178cm
BF:43%/35%/20%/18%
Progress: 98%

I came looking for advise, found all of you suffering with me, well, it's better than suffering alone?? I stopped smoking 2 months ago and put on 10 pounds eating the same as always. The last 2 days I've gone back to induction, 2 pounds are gone today, I hope the rest will go as well, I have my 30th high school reunion next month and I'm travelling from South Africa to Peru specially for it, so I better look stunning or I'll be disappointed. Thank you for posting all the ideas, I will have my thyroid tested again, I would ingest a nuclear bomb if it helped, lol, seriously, if medication could help it would be great.
Rosina
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 09:22
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

This is what I did last year:
One of the causes of hypothyroidism is a deficiency of iodine. Iodine is essential for the thyroid gland to produce thyroxin, the thyroid hormone. Here is an inexpensive test you can do at home to check your level of iodine. This test can serve both as a diagnostic tool and as medication to solve the underlying problem. Buy a 2% tincture of iodine at the pharmacy, take a Q-Tip® and paint a spot the size of a silver dollar on your stomach or thigh. If your iodine level is normal, the patch will still be there after 24 hours. However, if the patch has disappeared in less than 24 hours, you are iodine deficient. Without the iodine there is no thyroid activity and this is why many people don't respond to thyroid supplementation. You will need to repeat the iodine application at different locations until it is still visible after 24 hours. If you are already taking supplemental thyroid hormone it will be necessary to see your doctor to re-adjust (reduce) the dosage to account for your body's own production of thyroid hormone the way it is supposed to. This may even result in the eventual elimination of the need for the supplemental thyroid hormone. This very simple method will not only diagnose the problem, but will get your thyroid functioning again. Repeat this iodine test every three to six months. In the meantime, take supplements with iodine, such as kelp (the highest concentration of iodine known) or eat iodine-rich foods, such as beef liver, turkey, asparagus, white onions and broccoli.

Caution: Don't apply iodine more than once in a twenty-four hour period as you may experiance symptoms of iodine overdose: heightened awareness, dilated pupils, and a metallic taste in the mouth.

Estrogen-replacement therapy can make thryoid hormone less available in the bloodstream, thereby causing the hypothyroid symptoms. Using natural progesterone cream may well solve this problem.

I now take a multi for my hair that has extra iodine and take bioidentical projesterone.

check with your doc.

I lost weight after I quit smoking. Got zapped in the ear to reduce cig cravings. That didn't work for the cig cravings but greatly diminished my cravings for food. Odd. But I'm grateful! Can't believe now that I was ever a smoker. Quit June 23, 2008.

Denise
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 10:23
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I quit in June and have found weight loss hasn't happened much since. However I've been eating maintenance style for the most part so I can't say it's all about the non smoking.

I think my metabolism has returned to normal, I've heard it can take up to a year.

Great job! Hang in there. It'll sort out.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 15:19

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Well, I stopped 7 years ago (by a genuine miracle of God- a lady I know layed hands on me and prayed for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and I noticed the next day I FORGOT TO SMOKE! The habit was GONE! I hadn't prayed for that either! 2 packs a day, NO WITHDRAWLS. Yep, that was a miracle of God!)

However, my metabolism has never recovered.
I am still slow slow slow.
Alas.
I feel great though.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 09:56
Registered Member

Oh Israeli, you just knocked me down...never recovered after 7 years? That is disappointing indeed! I've been a non-smoker 9 months now, and I was hoping on the one year recovery. I'm up 5 pounds since then and so stuck, even changing what I eat does not help, not even induction. I'm so frustrated, and I'm taking a thyroid booster from my nutritionist, exercising, eating right and nothing. If I had known, I would not have stopped until I had reached my goal, now I'm so near and yet sooooooo far!
Rosina
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 02:17

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Now remember, each body is TOTALLY different.
I am older than you most likely and my metabolism has decided to retire.
I knew I used to lose weight in a flash. Now I lose only if I work out at least an hour and a half every day, and I cannot eat more than 1200 cals a day.
Smoking is NEVER worth it.
Its the most deadly thing we can do to ourselves.
You have only stopped recently, well 9 mo's.
YOU may recover your metabolism incredibly.
I believe it can take up to a year.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-22-09, 03:08
Registered Member

No my dear, you are not that much older, in any case, we ladies are always in our 20s, forever young, aren't we?