Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 09:19
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Are carrots that bad??

Say, I ate a few cooked carrots with my pot roast Sunday (at a restaurant). Are they really that bad to eat? Whenever I ask for veggies instead of a potato at a restrauant, they often include carrots and squash along with other things. Does everybody else push the carrots and squash to the side?

I know Suzzane lists carrots as a funky food...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%

I try not to eat carrots. Usually they are in the premixed salad you get at restaurants and such but I have never liked raw carrots anyway so I always pick them out.
I wouldn't eat them as a habit but I don't think a few in a roast would bother you. Just check the scales and if you're up and you've been perfect otherwise, you'll know why!
I don't have my book with me so I'm not sure where they fall on the glycemic index but I'll look.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 12:01

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i don,t eat carrots.when they are cooked they rate high on the gi list and they are also higher in carbs than other veggies.they spike my blood sugar.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 20:13

Stats: 230/135/126 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Carrots

I don't eat cooked carrots either. I will eat them raw, like in a salad mix. If there are a lot of them I will push them aside, but I haven't had a problem with just a few (and I really like raw carrots).

Abequa
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 20:16
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

I absolutely hate carrots so I will take whatever time necessary to pick out the carrots. When I order a dish in a restaurant, I usually ask what vegetables come with it. If one of them is carrots, I ask them to substitute something else.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 15:41

Stats: 167/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%

I do the same thing. I always ask what vegetables are included, and if it's not something I can have I've never had a problem getting them to replace it with something legal. But once in a blue moon, if you happen to have a few pieces of carrot, it probably wouldn't be disastrous. Sometimes grated carrot comes in a salad I've ordered. I don't pick each piece out or anything, I just sort of eat around them and avoid them for the most part.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 08:36
Arizona 215 lb Loser

BF:

Hmm... it seems I need to do more asking at a restaurant, although it kind of makes me feel like a nusiance. After all, I just asked them to substitute veggies for the potato -- now I'm telling them just what veggies are acceptable! I guess being a man I don't like to ask too much of anybody

Say, where are all the men (in this forum) anyway??

Dean
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 10:44

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Good question, where ARE the men?

But don't feel bad, I hate to go around with a list of questions and bother the wait staff with them. I just avoid the carrots as much as possible and if I eat them at all I eat them raw. I used to chow on the sweet little ones as my primary snack and will be very glad when I'm on level two and can add them back in here and there.

For the most part at restaurants I only go so far as to ask them to hold the bread or croutons on my salad or ask for them to substitute veggies for rice or potato. Like you, I don't wantto ask them to amend the veggies after that. I generally read the menu carefully and try to order the things with the least amount of changes necessary to make them legal. It's hard sometimes depending on the sort of restaurant you are in though. Carrots and corn seem to be very popular in veggie mixes. Sigh.

But hey, they aren't french fries, so don't fret too much over it.

MB
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 06:28
Arizona 215 lb Loser

BF:

I agree with you MB. Another thing I do is go out to eat with my wife, and then box all the things I couldn't touch and take them home for my children. They like it and I don't feel as bad having not taken the whole family out to eat (pretty expensive). I brought home some nice breads, a blueberry muffin, and fruit just last night...

Dean
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:26
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

I was asking for substitutions before I ever started Somersizing. Since I hate carrots with a deep and abiding passion, I ALWAYS ask what vegetables come with an entree.

Don't feel bad about asking for something that you can eat. Diabetics and people with food allergies do it all the time. As those people can't have sugar, tomatoes, wheat or whatever, you can't have high-glycemic foods. :-)