Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 02:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

thanks babs about telling me about the whey protein as I was wondering how bready they were and was quite scared that they wernt going to have the consistency of bread.Will let u know how they go because I'm off to buy my mixer from argos now! (£3.96 is a bargain!)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 05:47

Stats: 207/164/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyMinx
thanks babs about telling me about the whey protein as I was wondering how bready they were and was quite scared that they wernt going to have the consistency of bread.Will let u know how they go because I'm off to buy my mixer from argos now! (£3.96 is a bargain!)

After my mum demanded I return hers, I bought my own mixer from the Tesco Value range, think that was £3.97 - its brill!!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 06:40

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

ooh I must check that out when I go shopping Friday ( I live out in the stix so just one trip to tesco a week).
I've been away for a year and left my place in the care of teenagers Gulp! ( not my teenagers) And along with blown up Henry vacuum(sob), the goblet of my whizgaliser (can never think of the proper name...errrr......blender, yeah blender) has disappeared. So lots of things I can't make without it. need a replacement. thanks for that
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 06:42

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Oh no I just had to go eat some cream cheese.
Burp!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 06:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer23
ooh I must check that out when I go shopping Friday ( I live out in the stix so just one trip to tesco a week).
I've been away for a year and left my place in the care of teenagers Gulp! ( not my teenagers) And along with blown up Henry vacuum(sob), the goblet of my whizgaliser (can never think of the proper name...errrr......blender, yeah blender) has disappeared. So lots of things I can't make without it. need a replacement. thanks for that

Hahahaha! The tesco value range is fab for random kitchen bits...I had to top myself. They have hand blenders, whisks, scales, steamers etc etc. Don't think anything is above £10!

Where in the sticks are you?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:

Brought my argos mixer.Perfect.Did get a bit tired holding it though.really want the one nigella has on her programme but I dont actually need it! right so I did make the oopsie rolls but I spread it out on the tray rather than make it in blobs.it did look right and wasnt cheesy but are they supposed to be that airy and fluffy inside?i expected more of a bready texture and in some places it was gooey.My oven's broken so I have a small grill oven thing so I cant go according to your times and temperature but I dont think I am ever destined to make oopsies properly : ( any tips?
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 13:56

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lausie
The tesco value range is fab for random kitchen bits...I had to top myself. T

Can't be that bad, surely!
Babs
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 14:01

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyMinx
Brought my argos mixer.Perfect.Did get a bit tired holding it though.really want the one nigella has on her programme but I dont actually need it! right so I did make the oopsie rolls but I spread it out on the tray rather than make it in blobs.it did look right and wasnt cheesy but are they supposed to be that airy and fluffy inside?i expected more of a bready texture and in some places it was gooey.My oven's broken so I have a small grill oven thing so I cant go according to your times and temperature but I dont think I am ever destined to make oopsies properly : ( any tips?

Maybe the bits in the middle didn't bake so well, especially if your oven is poor? Might be best to make individual heaps. Mine turn out almost exactly like bread. However, I have a Kenwood Major mixer on a stand which whomps those egg whites into big time submission. Also, try adding a 1/4 t of xanthan gum to the whites - it improves the texture.
Babs
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 01:18
Registered Member

BF:

thanks babs.god its hard work these oopsies! Don't know whether to buy xanthan gum or whey protein now! I'm definitely going to put them as blobs on the tray and then user a lower heat setting first because the tops of them just went crispy and brown straight away and everything inside must have been undercooked.thanks for your help guys and keep tuned to my latest batch because I might need your help again!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 02:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
Can't be that bad, surely!
Babs

Now that would make headlines in The Sun!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 02:08

BF:

The batch I made were really quite eggy, especially in the middle...kinda like an over-cooked omelette.

I might try adding a bit of Whey or Xanthan Gum. Anyone know where you can by the latter in London? I've seen it on ebay but would prefer to buy it in a shop..!?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 02:33

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You can buy xantham gum in Tesco. Look on the Gluten-Free shelf for a jar called Bodyform.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 06:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_crone
You can buy xantham gum in Tesco. Look on the Gluten-Free shelf for a jar called Bodyform.

Oh brill, thanks, will look for it this evening!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 07:54
Registered Member

BF:

mine were not like bread this time! they look like cleochatra's but on the inside they are gooey.is anyone willing to tell me how many teaspoons of cream cheese you use in accordance to the batch you are going to make.in teaspoons as I dont know any other measurements!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 09:16

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Skinny, are you using a special measuring teaspoon or just any old teaspoon?

To be accurate you do need the special ones, as normal teaspoons vary so much.

Most supermarkets and cook shops sell them as a set including tablepoon, 1/2 tablespoon, teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon & 1/8 teaspoon for a couple of quid at the most.

And make sure you are using flat tablespoons/teaspoons, so they need to be scraped off level when dolling it out into the mixing bowl, not left heaped up.