Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/195/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default testing blood sugar/pcos

Hi Everybody - I have a question that has really been bugging me. I have pcos and take 2,500 metformin a day. Obviously, I have high insulin levels. My last fasting sugar (about a 1.5 years ago) was 115. When I asked my doctor about the utility of testing my sugar readings she didn't think it would be of much help. Her response was that my sugar readings could be normal, while my insulin is still really high. That is, that in pcos insulin levels are not necessarily predicted by sugar levels. However, I have been reading posts and see that quite a few women on this board test their sugar, but there hasn't been any mention of full blown diabetes - just pcos.

I would very much like to know about the experiences of women who do test their sugars. Is it helpful in managing your symptoms? If so, can you provide some examples that illustrate the benefits - for instance, does keeping your sugars below a certain level mean greater weight loss? Also, I am wondering about the best monitors to use. There are so many out there and it's really overwhelming. They are quite expensive and I'd hate to wind up buying something I don't like, especially since insurance won't cover this purchase.

Thanks so much for any help!
Anne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 09:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/200/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Huxter,
I am going to the Dr. tommorrow and I will try to ask that question. My fasting blood sugar tested last month at 112 last month. I had to go back and do a 1 hour gloucose tolerance test and the sugar level came back at 329. At this point my gyno is calling it diabetes. I just found out about the PCOS a few months back so as I understand it -- you have to get the sugar levels under control or it could turn into Type 2 diabetes. Again we all know everything is better if we loose the weight (but is very hard to loose and very very easy to gain) and excercise helps tremendously with both sugar and insulin levels. I know that I read somewhere that if you are insulin resistant and do not do something about it --you will more likely become a Type 2 diabetic. I don't know how old you are but I am just now finding out about the PCOS and I am 43. I realize that drs are just beginning learn more about it but I have been complaining since about a year after my son was born and all they could come up with was stress, etc. Oh well I am getting side tracked. Anyway I will ask tomorrow and see what he says.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 20:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/215/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I really dont understand this at all. I am on 1,500mg of glucophage a day for PCOS and my gyn told me that checking my sugar levels wouldnt make any difference because I wasnt diabetic but I do have times when my sugar bottoms out.for ex:shaking,dizzy,body feels hot,nausea and I feel like I will pass out. This is how I know that my sugar is getting low.I hope this helps someone.