Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Diagnosed myself

For 25 years I have been having almost all of the symptoms of PCOS and have gone to many doctors trying to figure out what was wrong. I was usually told that people who are overweight have skin tags, infertility, etc. About two years ago I had a friend cut off about 30 skin tags on my neck. About two weeks ago I started Induction and for the first time after all these years I am losing weight. I didn't have to cut down on the amount of food, and I don't get hungry, I just eat something that is allowed. I am so excited that I finally found something that works. I gave up on diets long ago and was just trying to eat low fat, but I just continued to gain slowly. About the same time I started Induction I discovered a cite about PCOS and read the symptoms and couldn't believe that there is actually a name for it. I have almost all the symptoms including High blood pressure, hair on my chin, discolored skin on my neck and skin tags everywhere. I also had infertility and my periods never come when they are suppose too. I just don't understand why it took 25 years to figure this out. I heard of Atkins and all that but didn't bother to check into it because I figured it was just another fad diet that won't work. Too bad I didn't look into it sooner. This is the easiest diet I have ever been on because I have been seeing results right from the start. I am so excited but also very sad for the 25 years that I beat myself up about being fat and down on myself because I couldn't loose weight. Now I know why and can do something about it. For being able to experience being pregnant and breastfeeding it is a little late for me, but I have 3 beautiful adopted kids that help me live my life everday. I spent lots of money on fertility doctors and hormone tests and even invitro, but never found out what the real problem was until now. It is hard to take, but I am glad I finally know and can at least do something about my weight. I will be going to the doctor for my annual in a few days and will show him what I discovered and see what he says. I will also get weighed to see how much I have actually lost. I will let you know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/195/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default I went undiagnosed for 20 years!

Hi Mereja, I too went undiagnosed for a really long time. Eventually, I diagnosed myself after searching on the internet. I knew something was wrong, but as I'd never tried to have children no doctor ever took me seriously. The funny thing is that I had access to the facilities at the University of Michigan while going to grad school, and the doctors there (supposedly top notch med school) laughed at me when I complained about my belly fat. I'm 5'4'' and have a 52 inch belly!! I look like I'm about 8 months pregnant! Further, I next went to the dermatology clinic there for my hair loss and was told that "some women just get really thin. Rogaine, that's all - sorry." The doctor refused to test any hormones beyond thyroid. Yah, okay. Female pattern baldness caused by an overabundance of androgens ... and thyroid is all you'll test.
Only when I googled "hair loss, obesity, belly fat" did pcos come up. And ...
my first experience with Metformin was when I found a weightloss clinic that
prescribed Met. My regular doctor at UM wouldn't entertain the thought!! Anywhoo - just letting you know that my belief is that lots of women who lurk here have had very delayed diagnoses, with many eventually figuring it out for themselves. This has become much more common now with the internet.
This experience has caused me to research this issue and take control of my own health. The majority of doctors have been unwilling to consider ANY possible cause for my weight issues other than gluttony. Those who do know about pcos (in my life, my current doctor and the former diet doctor) are unlikely to have done the research to become aware of the most current trends and treatments. So, the net impact is my taking responsibility for my own health and actively seeking out information. I always question everything my doctor tells me (at least in my head) and do thorough research on any medications, etc. Maybe this "attitude" will help me, or a loved one, again someday!
I'm glad you finally found out about your condition. I see so many women whom I suspect have pcos and are probably not aware of their problem. For instance, I imagine that many poor or relatively uneducated women are unlikely to get a diagnosis, much less appropriate information/treatment. So me, I'll count myself lucky that my ketosis strips were a really beautiful purple today and that I've been cheat free for 5 days now! Small things make me happy

Take Care, Anne
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 16:11

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm another self-diagnosed PCOS-er I'm afraid. But let me tell you, this WOE is the best for PCOS, I've been doing it for 2 years now and practically all of my symptoms are gone or improving. For the first time in my adult life I feel hormonally normal, and I love it! It keeps me motivated and committed. And Mereja, you're doing a lot more for yourself than just losing weight at this point, you are also potentially saving your life from a lot of diseases that we PCOS gals tend to get, including diabetes and some cancers!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I went to the doctor today for a blood draw only and got weighed. I have only lost 2 pounds in 5 weeks and I have been being very strict on the this diet. Hopefully the blood tests will come back showing something so that the doctor will at least give me something to help out a little.

My keyboard quite working so I haven't been able to write anything else or ask any questions. I had to go to the library to do this. So if I don't reply, it is because of this. But I will certainly be reading on here as much as I can so that I don't get too discouraged and start eating sugar etc again.

Thanks for the help.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 18:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/195/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Hi Mereja!

One thing to remember when you go to the doctor is to look carefully at your TSH results. He/she probably requested this test. I've been struggling with the same issues and it seems like lots of pcosers have thyroid issues, too.
Anyway, there is a new reference number for this hormone - anything less than 2 is suspect, but I can't remember exactly where I got this info. The professional society for endos just lowered the reference range, but I think they're published range is 3. Many labs haven't changed this yet and if you're doctor isn't up on things ...

I'm glad you feel good on this way of eating. I lose slowly, too. However, it seems easier now that I've been doing it for awhile. I can't imagine going back to that evil sugar stuff. I'm sure I'll have cheats, but at my age I just can't elect not to follow this plan. I think the earlier poster is right on the money - you're doing great things for yourself by eating this way. If you lose slowly (as most women with pcos do) then you lose slowly. But you do lose.
Think of just how healthy you'll be this time next year, having dropped 52 (at one pound a week) or 78 (at 1.5 pounds a week) pounds!

Take Care, and have a good weekend!
Anne